GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hooking my PS2 up to the world of online gaming sounds too complicated. Explain please..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/08/03 at 20:30
Regular
Now before you ask, i've read loads of guides and read a lot of FAQ's on hooking the PS2 up to the net, but i still don't understand it all, so here's where you lot come into action. At the moment, i don't have broadband, but the family are planning to get it very soon. Now although Pipex would be a much cheaper option, my mum insists that we get BT, as she only wants to be paying one person and doesn't want to be paying here, there and everywhere etc.

I checked the BT website, and they say that they are one of those companies that are "helping the PS2 with it's online play capabilites". But when i read some reviews of the Network Adapter, i read from Natbuc's and Garlic Bread's reviews that i might need to buy another modem if i have BT?! This is my first worry, so could someone please sort this out.

Secondly, i've read that i may need a router/hub to play online, but they cost a bomb if you are going to get a "good one". All i want to do is play my PS2 online, and i DON'T want to be able to use the internet on my P.C at the same time. So do i need a router if i only want to use my PS2 online?

And finally, preferably to someone who has BT broadband, what order do the connections go in. The guides i have read are quite good, but for morons like me, they still aren't very easy to understand. So, could one of you draw a word diagram showing which order the connections go in e.g. starting from the phone line plug in the wall.

So, in advance, thanks for any help that you give me :D
Sun 24/08/03 at 13:06
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
Well, the families decided to go with BT Broadband, after a friend tells me that you can use the BT USB modem to put the PS2 online.
Sun 24/08/03 at 09:57
Regular
"oaps.org"
The craziest Col! wrote:
> Make sure to setup ICS on your PC, and turn your firewall off if your
> PS2 doesn't connect. Don't worry if it doesn't connect the first
> time, becuase mine doesn't usually, it takes two attempts often.

that's going to make your PC into WORM food at the moment
Sat 23/08/03 at 18:28
" Crazy!"
Make sure to setup ICS on your PC, and turn your firewall off if your PS2 doesn't connect. Don't worry if it doesn't connect the first time, becuase mine doesn't usually, it takes two attempts often.
Sat 23/08/03 at 18:27
" Crazy!"
USB modem. ey?

My conenction which I have setup is the exact same.

I shall now post what you will ahve to do.

May I sugegst, that I am using Internet conenction sharing (ICS) as it is the cheapest to set up.

--------------------------------------

Firstly, order these two items from ebuyer.com, the cable length can be changed:

Ebuyer 10/100 Network Card with w/wake on Lan - Retail Box
RJ45 Cat 5 Crossover Cable Snagless 25MTR

Total cost = £25.56 (inc VAT)

You install the network card in your pc, then you take the cable, put one end into the network card and the othe rinto the network adapte ron your PS2.

Now why couldn't someone of posted that for me?
Sat 23/08/03 at 18:26
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
ISP: Blueyonder
Cheap modem manufacturer: Motorola
Sat 23/08/03 at 10:35
Regular
Try eBay!!
Sat 23/08/03 at 09:15
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
Yeah, BT comes with a USB modem, and so do Pipex. Does anyone know of a reliable company that's activation pack includes an ethernet modem, or anywhere that sells cheap ethernet modems?
Fri 22/08/03 at 22:15
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Whatever broadband service you get, check with them to see if they'll supply you with an ETHERNET MODEM as opposed to a USB MODEM.

If they do, then hooking up the PS2 goes like this:

Take the wire that goes from your ethernet modem to your PC out of the PC
Plug it into your PS2

Done.

If it's going to be a USB Modem, come back to this thread in a panic later on.
Fri 22/08/03 at 20:30
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
Now before you ask, i've read loads of guides and read a lot of FAQ's on hooking the PS2 up to the net, but i still don't understand it all, so here's where you lot come into action. At the moment, i don't have broadband, but the family are planning to get it very soon. Now although Pipex would be a much cheaper option, my mum insists that we get BT, as she only wants to be paying one person and doesn't want to be paying here, there and everywhere etc.

I checked the BT website, and they say that they are one of those companies that are "helping the PS2 with it's online play capabilites". But when i read some reviews of the Network Adapter, i read from Natbuc's and Garlic Bread's reviews that i might need to buy another modem if i have BT?! This is my first worry, so could someone please sort this out.

Secondly, i've read that i may need a router/hub to play online, but they cost a bomb if you are going to get a "good one". All i want to do is play my PS2 online, and i DON'T want to be able to use the internet on my P.C at the same time. So do i need a router if i only want to use my PS2 online?

And finally, preferably to someone who has BT broadband, what order do the connections go in. The guides i have read are quite good, but for morons like me, they still aren't very easy to understand. So, could one of you draw a word diagram showing which order the connections go in e.g. starting from the phone line plug in the wall.

So, in advance, thanks for any help that you give me :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.