GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Two Challenges For You All..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/09/01 at 19:51
Regular
If you manage to complete both of these, you get...either a copy of In Cold Blood for PSX (it may take a while to get to you though,) or...my all-time respect.

So, mission one. Lately I've been getting Ice Blaster and Grandprix to do my Physics homework, but I've decided that tonight they can have a break.

So, I need you to find out at least half a page of info on what a Cats Whisker Receiver is, and what it does. For extra...brownie points, you can write it for me. It needs to be about a third of A4.

The second mission...a couple of months back now I posted a topic named something like, "Hideo Kojima is a genius!" Please look back through all the topics (you'll have to go a long way,) find the topic for me, and POP it.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Fri 28/09/01 at 19:28
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
Ant, was it useful?
Thu 27/09/01 at 19:29
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
Ant wrote:
> davebeech wrote:
> You come on the internet enough obviously, so search for
> it or something!

errrr....I did.

I looked on askjeeves, yahoo, freeserve,
> everywhere!

Fine, you find it on the internet. You have till midnight.

Ant, there were loads of sites on yahoo! Just make sure you spell it right. Anyway, was what I wrote of use? Hope it was.

Bye
Thu 27/09/01 at 15:34
Regular
"I like cheese"
davebeech wrote:
> You come on the internet enough obviously, so search for it or something!

errrr....I did.

I looked on askjeeves, yahoo, freeserve, everywhere!

Fine, you find it on the internet. You have till midnight.
Thu 27/09/01 at 13:21
"shut it you tart"
You come on the internet enough obviously, so search for it or something!
Thu 27/09/01 at 08:42
Regular
"I like cheese"
Humm, cheers Rickyfire, if you want In Cold Blood, you can have it, but you already have my all-time respect. {:)

Also, how am I supposed to do my homework when I don't know what the bloody thing is!
Wed 26/09/01 at 23:57
"shut it you tart"
Rickyfire, that's just too kind. You must have been really REALLY bored though. Ant, do your own work you lazy mare! (Just kidding Ant, don't kill me or anything)
Wed 26/09/01 at 23:11
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I looked back to the topics in April and I couldn't go back any further. It may be lost forever!
Wed 26/09/01 at 22:57
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
I looked back 44 pages, but couldn't find that topic you wanted, but I'll have another look tomorrow.
Wed 26/09/01 at 22:33
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
Here you go ANT, I hope it's alright:

Cat’s Whisker Receivers can be used in “Crystal Radio Sets”, in order for the radio to tune in on any specific radio station. The Cat’s Whisker is a very thin piece of wire (phosphor bronze was often used, as it didn’t corrode), and to tune the radio, the wire is pressed against the crystal, (often silicone), and moved around until a signal is received, and the radio station is heard.
By moving the wire to different parts of the crystal, and applying different pressures, the frequency of the radio waves it is receiving changes, and so changing the radio station. Adjusting the wire to get good reception is very hard, and takes a lot of skill.
The cat’s whisker was in effect a diode, just as modern radios contain a diode, in order to tune the radio.
The simplicity of Cat’s Whisker radios meant that they were often used in place of normal radios, for instance during the German Occupation of Jersey, the islanders had their radios confiscated, but they secretly replaced them, by making their own Cat’s Whisker Radios.
Wed 26/09/01 at 20:44
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
Ant wrote:
> Erm...I never asked you to do it for me...:D

Please don't unless you want
> to...

I'll give it a go, I'm really bored at the moment!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.