GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Paradox..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/09/01 at 20:44
Regular
People often speculate about The End. The proverbial "It". Usually it’s talked about in context as to the end of the world. Other times about the end of the football season, or about the end of school. But what about the end of gaming?

Everything begins, so logically, everything must end. Life must end, The season must end, the day must end... Everything must end. There’s no avoiding it. But when and how’s the gaming world going to end?

I’ve been thinking about this for quite a while and, for once, I have actually come to a conclusion.

In my mind, gaming is almost at an end. It’s been going since the ZX81 and has progressed over the time it’s been in existence. We’ve gone from 2D sprites to photo-realistic landscapes and gorgeously textured characters.

For me, the release of the GameCube and the X-Box will be the end. In my mind, unless we create a piece of mind-blowing technology within the next few years, the launch of these two consoles will be as far as we can go.

Graphics will be awesome, the gameplay will be as addictive as chewits and the games themselves will keep you entertained for longer than poking assorted objects with a pointy stick can.

If you want proof then look at the amount of original games being released. I don’t mean original in the sense of a new game, I mean original in the sense of a totally new genre. I mean original in the sense of a completely new style of game being created. Innovative, inspired and fun. How many have their been in the past 3 years? Not many.

Game developers just aren’t able to think up new ideas as they’ve all been done! What’s the developers solution to this? "Just stick together another shooter to keep ‘em happy"

Well, sooner of later, the gaming public are going to notice that the ames being thrown at them are just spin-offs or the same game as that other one but with different graphics and a different name.

If you want further proof look at these very forums!

How many original topics are posted? I can count 4 in the past month. 4 original topics on subjects that I’ve never heard discussed on here before.

It’s quite scary, but the gaming world is coming to an end.

We’ll just be clinging on to our memories until someone discovers a new dimension and a new console can be made. I don’t know about you, but I don’t see that happening any time soon.

Whether we like it or not, the end of the gaming world is nigh... For us anyway.

I’m sure that in 50 years time some people will find an old NES or something similar and say "Hey, that’s not a bad idea. Let’s make one!" Then they’ll get up to the stage where we’re at now. Someone will be posting a topic just like this one on these very forums. Someone called ChristianBobFragrant I shouldn’t wonder… :-D

Then they’ll be at the stage we’ll be at in a few months. The end of their gaming. And this will keep going on. A paradox will keep gaming alive until the end of the world itself. But for us... It’s nearly over.

The End Of The Gaming World Is Nigh and It’s sooner than you think.

RBS

(I’m in a bleak mood :-D)
Wed 26/09/01 at 18:04
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
Well that's something for us all to look forward too.
Wed 26/09/01 at 15:46
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Gaming is constantly being revolutionised. If you want to see a stale gaming world, jump back to a decade or so ago. Innovation was happening, but took years to materialise.

It's console being released after console at the moment.... Even the gameboy (perfect handheld in everyway) has been updated.
Consoles are being released 'future-proof' too. The PS2 has tonnes of potential. I don't know if the x-box or gamecube has USB ports, optical outputs, expansion bays etc. But certainly the PS2 has been developed in a way that the consumer can keep up with the technology.
Combine the latest USB camera, the hard-drive, and compatible software, and you have characters you can personalise...
Combine it with the internet adapter, and you have the potential for global RPGs, where each character is a true representation of the player!
This is just the future as I can recognise it, and that's just with PS2 hardware. Bare in mind there are 1000's of developers out there with similar ideas, and with the means to implement them too!

Over the last year or two we have seen moskito simulators, bemani games that you operate with guitar shaped controllers, music generators that are actually useable by the general public, and much more. There's plenty of original ideas, and lots in the pipeline.

I'd like to point out that there have always been sequals. Are there more today than, say 5 years ago? Yes. But at the same time, no.
I'll explain - Previously, there were no sequals, but all games from the same genre looked and played the same!!!
Think about it....... Shoot 'em ups - Gradius, Nemesis, R-Type etc. etc. They are the same game!! You may as well have called them 'Shoot em up 1', 'Shoot em up 2' etc.
Beat em ups - Final Fight, Streets of rage, Vigilante, Double Dragon etc. The same applies.

There was always the same inputs too - Button A = Jump, Button B = Fire, Button C = Special.
How many games can you apply this control formula to... erm... Just about every game in the '80s!

Rather than being on the brink of destruction, we are on constantly on the verge of something very special!
Wed 26/09/01 at 12:27
Regular
It won't reach an end, it'll just reach a new low in innovation.

I reckon that the next step will be heavily based internet machines which will turn gaming into a sort of sport.

Playing a games against someone on the other side of the world will be no big deal.

World championships will occur and spotty nerd gaming champoins (like myself ;-D) will become internation celebrities.

And then technology will progress onto holograms...
Tue 25/09/01 at 22:05
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
If gaming came to an end, I would have no reason to live! I will always have my memories and my old computers.
Tue 25/09/01 at 20:44
Regular
"You've upset me"
People often speculate about The End. The proverbial "It". Usually it’s talked about in context as to the end of the world. Other times about the end of the football season, or about the end of school. But what about the end of gaming?

Everything begins, so logically, everything must end. Life must end, The season must end, the day must end... Everything must end. There’s no avoiding it. But when and how’s the gaming world going to end?

I’ve been thinking about this for quite a while and, for once, I have actually come to a conclusion.

In my mind, gaming is almost at an end. It’s been going since the ZX81 and has progressed over the time it’s been in existence. We’ve gone from 2D sprites to photo-realistic landscapes and gorgeously textured characters.

For me, the release of the GameCube and the X-Box will be the end. In my mind, unless we create a piece of mind-blowing technology within the next few years, the launch of these two consoles will be as far as we can go.

Graphics will be awesome, the gameplay will be as addictive as chewits and the games themselves will keep you entertained for longer than poking assorted objects with a pointy stick can.

If you want proof then look at the amount of original games being released. I don’t mean original in the sense of a new game, I mean original in the sense of a totally new genre. I mean original in the sense of a completely new style of game being created. Innovative, inspired and fun. How many have their been in the past 3 years? Not many.

Game developers just aren’t able to think up new ideas as they’ve all been done! What’s the developers solution to this? "Just stick together another shooter to keep ‘em happy"

Well, sooner of later, the gaming public are going to notice that the ames being thrown at them are just spin-offs or the same game as that other one but with different graphics and a different name.

If you want further proof look at these very forums!

How many original topics are posted? I can count 4 in the past month. 4 original topics on subjects that I’ve never heard discussed on here before.

It’s quite scary, but the gaming world is coming to an end.

We’ll just be clinging on to our memories until someone discovers a new dimension and a new console can be made. I don’t know about you, but I don’t see that happening any time soon.

Whether we like it or not, the end of the gaming world is nigh... For us anyway.

I’m sure that in 50 years time some people will find an old NES or something similar and say "Hey, that’s not a bad idea. Let’s make one!" Then they’ll get up to the stage where we’re at now. Someone will be posting a topic just like this one on these very forums. Someone called ChristianBobFragrant I shouldn’t wonder… :-D

Then they’ll be at the stage we’ll be at in a few months. The end of their gaming. And this will keep going on. A paradox will keep gaming alive until the end of the world itself. But for us... It’s nearly over.

The End Of The Gaming World Is Nigh and It’s sooner than you think.

RBS

(I’m in a bleak mood :-D)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.