GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wireless Networking - Help Needed!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/08/03 at 09:17
Regular
".increase the peace"
I wanna run wireless networking from my office to my home, a distance of roughly 400-500 metres, to access the office network. Am I right in thinking that:

I need an Access Point in the office
I need a Wireless card in my home PC
I need an outdoor aerial at home and at the office

I've read that the indoor range of the cards/Access Points is upto 300ish metres, but outdoors is upto 600ish metres so the aerials should theoretically be sufficient, without using any boosters or repeaters.

Any information will be gratefully received, except abuse obviously.
Tue 16/12/03 at 22:40
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
If you've got broadband then I'd say use a VPN across the net as this is much more secure.

As for wireless - I think at that distance your going to struggle with only an AP (access point) and an aerial on from your PC to pick it up.

You will probably need to get an AP and a WB (wireless bridge) to link the two together along with dedicated aerials to focus the beam.

Do you have a clear line of site as well?
Wed 10/12/03 at 08:16
Regular
Is it because he recommended Netgear products and SR don't sell them?

I never saw him do anything extreme...
Tue 02/12/03 at 16:49
Regular
""It's me u want""
What did magrappy do to get banned?? Must of been something serious.
Mon 01/12/03 at 00:19
Regular
Wireless networking is good but is not very secure at the moment so if you don't want anyone hacking into your networks at home or at the office then i would suggest creating a dialup network through your internet it's a lot more secure.

Colin
Sun 30/11/03 at 13:50
Regular
"123456789"
that will be very good to bring a wireless networking
Fri 19/09/03 at 09:17
Regular
"davidmorris182@hotm"
chivs wrote:
> I wanna run wireless networking from my office to my home, a distance
> of roughly 400-500 metres, to access the office network. Am I right
> in thinking that:
>
> I need an Access Point in the office
> I need a Wireless card in my home PC
> I need an outdoor aerial at home and at the office
>
> I've read that the indoor range of the cards/Access Points is upto
> 300ish metres, but outdoors is upto 600ish metres so the aerials
> should theoretically be sufficient, without using any boosters or
> repeaters.
>
> Any information will be gratefully received, except abuse obviously.

if you net work with netgear equiptment like i did, just go to there web site at www.netgear.com and they give you all the information and even diagrams of set ups and tell you what you need to buy.its very usefull even if you have ur own modems and arials etc
Thu 28/08/03 at 09:17
Regular
".increase the peace"
I wanna run wireless networking from my office to my home, a distance of roughly 400-500 metres, to access the office network. Am I right in thinking that:

I need an Access Point in the office
I need a Wireless card in my home PC
I need an outdoor aerial at home and at the office

I've read that the indoor range of the cards/Access Points is upto 300ish metres, but outdoors is upto 600ish metres so the aerials should theoretically be sufficient, without using any boosters or repeaters.

Any information will be gratefully received, except abuse obviously.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.