GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 Officially fully backward compatible with PS1 & 2 games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/09/03 at 17:05
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Confirmed by Sony yesterday, everyone probably took it as read anyway,

September 02, 2003 - Why do we love our PlayStation 2's? Sure, it has lots of cool games and plays DVD movies, but why do really love it? Because it can play original PlayStation games too, of course. A seemingly minor feature, the fact that the PS2 can play PS one games is without a doubt one of the reasons for the PS2's success; so why fix something that definitely isn't broken?
In a talk with Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun, Ken Kutaragi, head honcho at Sony Computer Entertainment, officially confirmed that the successor to the PlayStation 2 will in fact be backward compatible with not only PS2 games, but also PS one games.

"PS one runs on PlayStation 2 through emulation rather than actual hardware. PlayStation 3 will offer the same compatibility for PS2 software and the format will continue forever," Kutarai explained.

The inclusion of backward compatibility is not all that surprising, but we're glad it's finally official. Now we don't have to worry about having ten consoles and the corresponding wire mess in our living rooms.
Sat 06/09/03 at 22:00
Regular
Nintendo Entertainment System released in 1986 I think, Sony Playstation released in 1996, market held by Nintendo for 10 years.

I predict Sony will hold for another 3.
Sat 06/09/03 at 11:37
Regular
"Chris Morris"
I hope they dont design THIS one to break down after about a year!
Sat 06/09/03 at 09:09
Regular
I don't like to order off of the intenet. I don't have a credit card.

:-(
Fri 05/09/03 at 22:19
"For the horde!!!!"
maddmun wrote:
> Blank wrote:
> maddmun wrote:
> They should make the PS1 forwards compatible.
>
> *Nods*
>
> They did. They brought out a new model called the PS2 which actually
> will play both new and old games.
>
> Hmmm. Where can I get one of these PS2's?

just a stab in the dark but have you tried SR :0P
Fri 05/09/03 at 22:13
Regular
Blank wrote:
> maddmun wrote:
>
> *Nods*
>
> They did. They brought out a new model called the PS2 which actually
> will play both new and old games.

Hmmm. Where can I get one of these PS2's?
Fri 05/09/03 at 21:40
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
TGMbloke wrote:
> Good news really - it means we can all play PS1 games for as long as
> we like with no worries of having to get the console back out the
> atic.

I'm quite looking forward to digging out my 'retro' copy of Final Fantasy X and playing it on my PS6.

Maybe, just maybe, one day Sony will do a deal with Sega and include a Dreamcast emulator in the PS4 as well. 'Immortalise' the Dreamcast, if you will.
Thu 04/09/03 at 23:25
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
maddmun wrote:
>
> *Nods*

They did. They brought out a new model called the PS2 which actually will play both new and old games.
Thu 04/09/03 at 17:09
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Im glad it will be backward compatible as it will allow you to play some of the classics and means you haven't wasted money buying games for the previous consoles.
Thu 04/09/03 at 15:53
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Yea that was one of the games/series of games that was included in the etc etc part of my post.
Thu 04/09/03 at 14:41
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Add Breath of Fire - it's still good to go fishing in Breath of Fire.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.