GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Raging Thunder 2 - iPhone/iPod Touch Review"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Raging Thunder 2'.
Mon 19/04/10 at 15:29
"possibly impossible"
Probably one of the most surprising genres to take off on the iPhone (other than the FPS) is the racing game. We gamers are lucky to have a smattering of both arcade and realistic games to choose from.

Coming from behind
The first Raging Thunder game was a fairly good arcade game with some odd bugs and amounted to a fairly generic racer, so when the sequel was announced it wasn’t met with a great deal of enthusiasm.

Pixelbite Games seem to have listened to the critics, though, because this sequel is far better than the original, adding flair and features to the game and making it an essential driving game app.

Look at the Paintwork
The first thing that hits you is the attention put in to the graphics, it really shows what the iPhone is capable of and even moving at high speeds there is very little in the way of slowdown. Cars are different enough from each other, though being an arcade game none are that realistic. The trackside detail is impressive, with planes flying overhead, moving background scenery and a lot of detail in the roadside objects. Even pausing mid-action will show off the impressive attention to detail that the developers have managed to fit in here.

iMario iKart?
As with other arcade racers you get boost power and skids/certain driving conditions will fill the boost bar for you to use at the right moment. You also get icons to pick up, which seems to be the mainstay of any arcade racer these days, though they’re not all over-the-top weapons but objects such as extra cash for new cars after the race and boost to refill your boost meter.

Time Extended
There are 5 different single player modes on offer; Time Attack, Career, Arcade, Survival and Single Race, plus local and online multiplayer, putting this game in the same class as a full home console release. Indeed, the game feels a lot like one of the early Burnout games or one of the better Need for Speed titles.

Multiplayer works well, though I’ve only been able to try out the internet based system so far. There is very little lag in setting up a race and the feeling of winning against a human opponent is far better than beating the computer.

Losing Control
The only fly in the ointment is that it only uses accelerometer controls, which is fine if you’re used to it (I actually prefer this) but some option for a virtual joypad would be a nice addition. However, it does have adjustable levels for this scheme and a little bit of messing around with these will create the perfect control setup.

For me, though, the wealth of options and fun factor make this the must have arcade racer on the iPhone.

9/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 19/04/10 at 15:29
"possibly impossible"
Probably one of the most surprising genres to take off on the iPhone (other than the FPS) is the racing game. We gamers are lucky to have a smattering of both arcade and realistic games to choose from.

Coming from behind
The first Raging Thunder game was a fairly good arcade game with some odd bugs and amounted to a fairly generic racer, so when the sequel was announced it wasn’t met with a great deal of enthusiasm.

Pixelbite Games seem to have listened to the critics, though, because this sequel is far better than the original, adding flair and features to the game and making it an essential driving game app.

Look at the Paintwork
The first thing that hits you is the attention put in to the graphics, it really shows what the iPhone is capable of and even moving at high speeds there is very little in the way of slowdown. Cars are different enough from each other, though being an arcade game none are that realistic. The trackside detail is impressive, with planes flying overhead, moving background scenery and a lot of detail in the roadside objects. Even pausing mid-action will show off the impressive attention to detail that the developers have managed to fit in here.

iMario iKart?
As with other arcade racers you get boost power and skids/certain driving conditions will fill the boost bar for you to use at the right moment. You also get icons to pick up, which seems to be the mainstay of any arcade racer these days, though they’re not all over-the-top weapons but objects such as extra cash for new cars after the race and boost to refill your boost meter.

Time Extended
There are 5 different single player modes on offer; Time Attack, Career, Arcade, Survival and Single Race, plus local and online multiplayer, putting this game in the same class as a full home console release. Indeed, the game feels a lot like one of the early Burnout games or one of the better Need for Speed titles.

Multiplayer works well, though I’ve only been able to try out the internet based system so far. There is very little lag in setting up a race and the feeling of winning against a human opponent is far better than beating the computer.

Losing Control
The only fly in the ointment is that it only uses accelerometer controls, which is fine if you’re used to it (I actually prefer this) but some option for a virtual joypad would be a nice addition. However, it does have adjustable levels for this scheme and a little bit of messing around with these will create the perfect control setup.

For me, though, the wealth of options and fun factor make this the must have arcade racer on the iPhone.

9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.