GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Onimusha"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/09/01 at 18:15
Regular
In part of Ants idea to get people to know about the best PS2 games post your reviews of Onimusha here:

When first playing Onimusha Warlords two words will enter your head- Resident Evil. What I mean buy this is that Onimusha is pretty much Resident Evil just with better graphics and I different story line, which however is no bad thing. Onimusha story if you had not guessed from what you have already seen revolves around one individual rescuing one helpless hostage from there evil captures.

Starting with the controls, the d-pad moves your character around just like any other Resident Evil game, however the analogue sticks are useless only slowing the character down. The square button is your attacking button, which adds its own combos when needed. The X button as normal is your action button used to open doors and perform actions. The triangle button cancels are unleashes a special move and O button sucks in the souls of defeated enemies. Also there is the usual inventory where you collect items and combine them too, e.g.: herbs.

The game play in Onimusha is a little different then in Resident Evil, in Resident Evil the game was a lot more puzzle based, however in Onimusha it is more action based, but there is still the puzzles in there. With only minimal puzzles there though it allows the game storyline to unfold more fluidly than in previous games. As for the enemies there is a wide variety, from decomposed skeleton warriors to large ogres, slimy tentacle beings to heavily armed samurai. There are plenty of them to fight, even if the combat is a little basic of just tapping one button. It is also possible to sidestep adding a little more variety to your kills. Sometimes when you attack an enemy it will go down to the floor, but is not dead, so there is only one thing to do, press the button and your character plunges his sword into the dying beasts chest! Great!

Action based is pretty much what the game is about, with every strike of your blade and with every kill is followed with a cascade of blood. There are lots of neat little tricks like being able knock the skeletons hats off, or knock them into surrounding flames, again this all adds a bit of variety to the game. However there is still the small niggles of the camera angels as with other similar adventures on PS1. The pre-rendered back drops makes it hard to fight the enemy when your character reaches the edge of the area and the camera changes, totally confusing you and allowing the enemy to strike you, which is what you don’t want. You may wonder why the use of flay backgrounds was used on a machine such as PS2, well they are used because the game was originally going to be for PS1. But it was decided to be brought to the Next-Gen console.

Being on PS2 though means the CG animation is superb, and Onimusha is defiantly cinematic, bringing the Resident Evil formula further forward. Another old but gladly seen is the ability to play as a second character a certain points. This character is female, she is lightly armoured but is fast paced to control with her own special move to use.

When killing enemies you can absorb there souls, using these your character can summon magic spells that will kill off larger demons for you, or instead power up your own weapon. In the game apart from your standard sword there are three other swords to collect, each containing a different power; thunder, fire and wind. Using the special move unleashes great force. This is either creating electrical storms, walls of fire or engulfing your enemies. There are also other weapons to collect, a matchlock pistol and a longbow, also for the second character there is a great dagger and a set of throwing knifes.

Capcom have certainly done another good job with this title, great graphics, superb intro and good game play. However there are a few flaws, the camera angle I sometimes annoying and gets you killed if your in the wrong place, and the flat backdrops don’t help this either, this is PS2 after all and this type of game needs moving forward.
This is still though one of the best adventure games out.
Mon 24/09/01 at 20:40
"shut it you tart"
Actually, I only played on it for the second time yesterday. I've been too caught up in Resi. It's quite good though.
Mon 24/09/01 at 20:37
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
I knew it!
Mon 24/09/01 at 20:35
"shut it you tart"
I've been using it as a coaster.
Mon 24/09/01 at 20:32
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
davebeech wrote:
> But Rob, you haven't got it!!! 'Cos I've nicked it!! Harrr! Will you be wanting
> it back soon?

Hello Dave! Give it back when you've done with it , just don't break it eh?
Mon 24/09/01 at 20:30
"shut it you tart"
But Rob, you haven't got it!!! 'Cos I've nicked it!! Harrr! Will you be wanting it back soon?
Mon 24/09/01 at 20:28
Regular
"say hello to parsle"
Definately give Onimusha a try! Personally I think its one of the best PS2 games yet!
Mon 24/09/01 at 20:24
Regular
i aint played it yet i might rent it on friday

i was told by the man in choices that they are grtting fifa 2002 on friday?
Mon 24/09/01 at 20:21
"shut it you tart"
Why doesn't it support the analog sticks!! AAAAAAAARRG! It's so annoying, i've not played it much and the amount of times i've used the analogs by accident is horrendous. Oh well. Resi CVX is much better in my opinion anyway
Sun 23/09/01 at 21:51
Regular
I did like this game at first, but it got just a tad bit repetitive. I got about half way thorugh the game and havnt really touched it since. I still think its a pritty cool game though.

My fave bit is probably when you stab the bad guys with your sword when they are on the floor.
Sun 23/09/01 at 18:15
Regular
"360: swfcman"
In part of Ants idea to get people to know about the best PS2 games post your reviews of Onimusha here:

When first playing Onimusha Warlords two words will enter your head- Resident Evil. What I mean buy this is that Onimusha is pretty much Resident Evil just with better graphics and I different story line, which however is no bad thing. Onimusha story if you had not guessed from what you have already seen revolves around one individual rescuing one helpless hostage from there evil captures.

Starting with the controls, the d-pad moves your character around just like any other Resident Evil game, however the analogue sticks are useless only slowing the character down. The square button is your attacking button, which adds its own combos when needed. The X button as normal is your action button used to open doors and perform actions. The triangle button cancels are unleashes a special move and O button sucks in the souls of defeated enemies. Also there is the usual inventory where you collect items and combine them too, e.g.: herbs.

The game play in Onimusha is a little different then in Resident Evil, in Resident Evil the game was a lot more puzzle based, however in Onimusha it is more action based, but there is still the puzzles in there. With only minimal puzzles there though it allows the game storyline to unfold more fluidly than in previous games. As for the enemies there is a wide variety, from decomposed skeleton warriors to large ogres, slimy tentacle beings to heavily armed samurai. There are plenty of them to fight, even if the combat is a little basic of just tapping one button. It is also possible to sidestep adding a little more variety to your kills. Sometimes when you attack an enemy it will go down to the floor, but is not dead, so there is only one thing to do, press the button and your character plunges his sword into the dying beasts chest! Great!

Action based is pretty much what the game is about, with every strike of your blade and with every kill is followed with a cascade of blood. There are lots of neat little tricks like being able knock the skeletons hats off, or knock them into surrounding flames, again this all adds a bit of variety to the game. However there is still the small niggles of the camera angels as with other similar adventures on PS1. The pre-rendered back drops makes it hard to fight the enemy when your character reaches the edge of the area and the camera changes, totally confusing you and allowing the enemy to strike you, which is what you don’t want. You may wonder why the use of flay backgrounds was used on a machine such as PS2, well they are used because the game was originally going to be for PS1. But it was decided to be brought to the Next-Gen console.

Being on PS2 though means the CG animation is superb, and Onimusha is defiantly cinematic, bringing the Resident Evil formula further forward. Another old but gladly seen is the ability to play as a second character a certain points. This character is female, she is lightly armoured but is fast paced to control with her own special move to use.

When killing enemies you can absorb there souls, using these your character can summon magic spells that will kill off larger demons for you, or instead power up your own weapon. In the game apart from your standard sword there are three other swords to collect, each containing a different power; thunder, fire and wind. Using the special move unleashes great force. This is either creating electrical storms, walls of fire or engulfing your enemies. There are also other weapons to collect, a matchlock pistol and a longbow, also for the second character there is a great dagger and a set of throwing knifes.

Capcom have certainly done another good job with this title, great graphics, superb intro and good game play. However there are a few flaws, the camera angle I sometimes annoying and gets you killed if your in the wrong place, and the flat backdrops don’t help this either, this is PS2 after all and this type of game needs moving forward.
This is still though one of the best adventure games out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.