GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Learning curves in all the right places"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 23/09/01 at 14:31
Regular
The learning curve.... something many people take for granted. The learning curve is a vital aspect for a game to have and is an essential ingredient in the making of a "must have" game. First of all, what exactly is the learning curve? For the uninformed the learning curve is sort of you learning how to play the game. The game will begin with a level that sort of teaches you the basics and gradually gets harder. A good one should get steadily harder as you progress through the game. Bad ones however can cause many problems.

It goes a little something like this, you buy your game and you arrive home, slap it in the slot/CD drive and get ready to play. The level starts off nicely, a few things too kill only basic weapons and items and it seems pretty good. You finish the level with a big fat smile on your face. Nice warm up, now let me into the action please. Your wish is my command *robotic voice*. You begin level two.....10 seconds in your ambushed by swarms of enemies, before you know it your lying on the ground dead as a doorknob. GAME OVER the screen reads. You begin to realise that this game has a very steep learning curve.

The developers expect you to be a master at the game straight after the training level which to say the least wasn't hard. They throw you into the action unprepared and you suffer because of this..... Its almost like being sent to war without being trained properly. Of course, this is just one end of the scale..... The other end is the opposite.

You begin to play level one, you die constantly. Very frustrated you battle on into the abyss. Try after try after try...you still can't do it. Then you get a glimpse of inspiration, which gives you that little bit extra, you complete the level. Feeling very proud you trudge onto level two. "Come on then, I'm ready for you know" you shout at the screen..... Something isn't right. The game just doesn't seem the same. Enemies are few and far between or easy to kill in a few minutes you've complete the second level with no problems at all, first life. The super had soldiers the baddies first seemed now look like the Duracell bunnies. The game has blown you out.

Now I come onto the perfect learning curve. Before I explain I will give you some games that I feel get the mix just right, not too hard, not too easy, perfect difficulty. The first game that springs too mind has to be Goldeneye. You’re eased into the action nicely having to complete Dam, not very hard, but at the same time, not too easy for first time players. Next level your greeted with a much vaster level under the name of Facility. Now this is a harder nut too crack, but all the way through it is still perfectly judged so, if you’re good enough, you will do it. The game continues like this, progressively getting harder, making you push that little bit further to progress. You feel happy when you complete another level, the way games should be.

But it doesn't stop there; it’s not only the difficulty in games that can be classed as a learning curve. If I use an RPG as an example I will explain.

You begin the game *after watching a lengthy cut scene of course :D*..... You’re treated to a town or something similar full of people ready to teach you in the ways of the games. Hints on item usage, maybe some training for combat. You feel ready for the game when you finally escape the confines of the training and are set free in the realm of the game. At the beginning you are eased into the fighting gently, nothing complicated, no status changes, no items really need to be used. Just basic combat. This is exactly what a gamer needs they don't want to thrown in at the deep end not knowing what to do and just getting annoyed by the game and throwing it away. It teaches you, it punishes you when you make mistakes, but it is always fair.

But games aren't always like this....... Turok 2 for example. Level one is a level of monstrous proportions, very hard to say the least and the game follows in this tradition but gets ever harder, so in a way it still has a learning curve, but a very steep, whist staying fair one. This game went on to be a great success so Acclaim must have known what they were doing, even if they did get complaints about the difficulty.

So, does a game really need a learning curve that is judged well? Is this really necessary to make the game succeed? DO you know any games that have succeeded in the world of being sold, but had a completely misjudged learning curve? Did you even read this far? Am I talking to myself? It doesn't really matter, just share your opinions :D

VKTR
Sun 23/09/01 at 14:31
Regular
The learning curve.... something many people take for granted. The learning curve is a vital aspect for a game to have and is an essential ingredient in the making of a "must have" game. First of all, what exactly is the learning curve? For the uninformed the learning curve is sort of you learning how to play the game. The game will begin with a level that sort of teaches you the basics and gradually gets harder. A good one should get steadily harder as you progress through the game. Bad ones however can cause many problems.

It goes a little something like this, you buy your game and you arrive home, slap it in the slot/CD drive and get ready to play. The level starts off nicely, a few things too kill only basic weapons and items and it seems pretty good. You finish the level with a big fat smile on your face. Nice warm up, now let me into the action please. Your wish is my command *robotic voice*. You begin level two.....10 seconds in your ambushed by swarms of enemies, before you know it your lying on the ground dead as a doorknob. GAME OVER the screen reads. You begin to realise that this game has a very steep learning curve.

The developers expect you to be a master at the game straight after the training level which to say the least wasn't hard. They throw you into the action unprepared and you suffer because of this..... Its almost like being sent to war without being trained properly. Of course, this is just one end of the scale..... The other end is the opposite.

You begin to play level one, you die constantly. Very frustrated you battle on into the abyss. Try after try after try...you still can't do it. Then you get a glimpse of inspiration, which gives you that little bit extra, you complete the level. Feeling very proud you trudge onto level two. "Come on then, I'm ready for you know" you shout at the screen..... Something isn't right. The game just doesn't seem the same. Enemies are few and far between or easy to kill in a few minutes you've complete the second level with no problems at all, first life. The super had soldiers the baddies first seemed now look like the Duracell bunnies. The game has blown you out.

Now I come onto the perfect learning curve. Before I explain I will give you some games that I feel get the mix just right, not too hard, not too easy, perfect difficulty. The first game that springs too mind has to be Goldeneye. You’re eased into the action nicely having to complete Dam, not very hard, but at the same time, not too easy for first time players. Next level your greeted with a much vaster level under the name of Facility. Now this is a harder nut too crack, but all the way through it is still perfectly judged so, if you’re good enough, you will do it. The game continues like this, progressively getting harder, making you push that little bit further to progress. You feel happy when you complete another level, the way games should be.

But it doesn't stop there; it’s not only the difficulty in games that can be classed as a learning curve. If I use an RPG as an example I will explain.

You begin the game *after watching a lengthy cut scene of course :D*..... You’re treated to a town or something similar full of people ready to teach you in the ways of the games. Hints on item usage, maybe some training for combat. You feel ready for the game when you finally escape the confines of the training and are set free in the realm of the game. At the beginning you are eased into the fighting gently, nothing complicated, no status changes, no items really need to be used. Just basic combat. This is exactly what a gamer needs they don't want to thrown in at the deep end not knowing what to do and just getting annoyed by the game and throwing it away. It teaches you, it punishes you when you make mistakes, but it is always fair.

But games aren't always like this....... Turok 2 for example. Level one is a level of monstrous proportions, very hard to say the least and the game follows in this tradition but gets ever harder, so in a way it still has a learning curve, but a very steep, whist staying fair one. This game went on to be a great success so Acclaim must have known what they were doing, even if they did get complaints about the difficulty.

So, does a game really need a learning curve that is judged well? Is this really necessary to make the game succeed? DO you know any games that have succeeded in the world of being sold, but had a completely misjudged learning curve? Did you even read this far? Am I talking to myself? It doesn't really matter, just share your opinions :D

VKTR
Sun 23/09/01 at 14:40
"period drama"
you need a training level in most game just to learn all the control's and menu's.
then it should be quite easy, get harder at a steady speed then level out with only the last few levels being really tough
Sun 23/09/01 at 14:45
Regular
"Back For Good"
Hard games don't necessarily mean it has a steep learning curve, Some are just too Ambitious on the players performance.
Sun 23/09/01 at 14:48
Regular
ResÆvilfan wrote:
> Hard games don't necessarily mean it has a steep learning curve, Some are just
> too Ambitious on the players performance.

Yeah I suppose your right Resi. BUt the thing is I am sre developers have some idea of how good the players of their games are. Not too say that hard games do have a steep learning curve, but I feel that they tend to be too hard from the beginning, this isn't really a good thing as it can cause some people to give up before giving the game a chance.

VKTR
Sun 23/09/01 at 15:09
Regular
Any of you played Jurasic Park for the GBA? When i went to Carlisle it let people play because it was not out then. If anything this would put me off getting a GBA. The controls were SO annoying you could play for days and days and you still wouldn't know how to go forward. If anyone ever thinks about getting this game, don't. Even a Jurasic Park fan who wanted to collect everything Jurasic Park would blow it off.

*Someone disagree's with RiCkOsS so he punches him in the face and starts to hit him with a burning stick*
Sun 23/09/01 at 15:12
Regular
No 2 what ru doin??? Pretending to be me???
Sun 23/09/01 at 15:14
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Rickoss wrote:
> No 2 what ru doin??? Pretending to be me???

I smell something fishy here. Rickoss has 2 account then?
Sun 23/09/01 at 15:15
Regular
i'm pretending to be me for a day!!!
Sun 23/09/01 at 15:17
Regular
Oh dear god no....my topic has been invaded by a virtual newbie.

*get out, get out!.....vektor chases No 2 out of his topic*

"Much better" :D

VKTR
Sun 23/09/01 at 15:19
Regular
I'll admit it, No 2's my brother. He forgot to log off so i accidently wrote as No 2, but do you agree about JP: GBA?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.