GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will Online Gaming Ever Take Off"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/09/03 at 22:40
Regular
"Green & White Army"
Does anyone actually think online gaming will take off here in the UK. Personally I don't think it has a chance because broadband is only available in a small part of the UK and it's way too expensive to run.
Tue 09/09/03 at 14:27
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I think the time to compare them is in a few months time not right now. Sony have only recently got their online gaming program started and as such only have a few games at the moment with online capability. However with the likes of Everquest and GT4 (both exclusive to PS2 i believe) coming out it does look very rosey.
Also the PS2 has a much larger fan base then the Xbox so there's another advantage that Sony will have over the Xbox plus the fact you don't have to pay a fee to use Sony's service.
Tue 09/09/03 at 14:13
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Bah. I try and drop hints about the future of Sony's Network Services and they just bounce off those fanboy shells of yours. I'll stop dropping major hints.

You forgot about GTA 4 by the way.
Tue 09/09/03 at 12:22
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
I
> think Sony will have the edge eventually when they get around to
> adding all the features the Live has

I don't think this will ever happen.

Mainly because of the shear amount of games coming out for Xbox Live and also the power of Xbox. I've spoken to so many people on Xbox Live who own Ps2's but haven't touched them since they bought an Xbox.

Now that GTA has been announced for Xbox I see Sony's userbase slowly decreasing. Nothing Sony can do will compete with Xbox Live, I've seen the release list's for both consoles and sorry to say this, Xbox Live punts Sony's online plans smack bang in the face.

Sure there's a £30 subscription fee, but you have to pay for a modem and headset for ya PS2 so at the end of the day it's pretty much the same price.

Xbox Live is far superior, there's no question.
Tue 09/09/03 at 12:12
Regular
"PRO EVO MASTER"
i have bt buisness broadband, do u have to pay money to use the ps2 games online once u have the adapter? or is it free????
Mon 08/09/03 at 23:27
Regular
It'll be interesting to see if both formats can co-exist online with the comparatively small numbers of broadband users at present. I think Sony will have the edge eventually when they get around to adding all the features the Live has (bearing in mind that Sony will keep their access to Network Services free).

Hopefully by that time, both formats will have enough games to keep both their respective user-bases loyal. Which would be nice for everyone except maybe Nintendo.
Mon 08/09/03 at 19:47
Regular
Got nothing to do with Xbox getting there first. Its the fact that LIVE is the best online service money can buy and the games available across LIVE are also excellent.
Mon 08/09/03 at 02:24
Regular
By the time Killzone gets released next year there'll be more PS2 owners on broadband around to fill up the game servers in no time.

At present, there aren't enough of us online. SOCOM regularly gets over 1500 players at peak times, and there's always someone playing it, but the other games are suffering a bit. They'll suffer even more because there's so many online titles for the PS2 getting released over the next 4 months.

Blame British Telecom. And XBox getting there first.
Sun 07/09/03 at 22:40
Regular
"Green & White Army"
Does anyone actually think online gaming will take off here in the UK. Personally I don't think it has a chance because broadband is only available in a small part of the UK and it's way too expensive to run.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.