GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo beta leaked onto the net"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo'.
Tue 09/09/03 at 10:56
Regular
"relocated"
Quelle surprise, you can now download a beta version of PC Halo from the seedier corners of the internet. I honestly think that games companies do this sort of stuff on purpose.

Leak game. Assorted thieving geeks and internet fanboys (who wouldn't buy the game anyway) download game. Geeks play game. Geeks moan about bugs on web forums. Developers read geek moans, and fix bugs. Geeks start to love game. Geeks evangelise about game on web forums. Geeks tell friends how fantastic the game is. Normal people start telling other normal people that game is going to be greatest thing ever. Game gets released. Game storms the charts on a thunderous snowball of hype. Job done.
Thu 11/09/03 at 15:15
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I've only seen it mentioned in a couple of places, so like I said, whether or not it's true I just don't know.
Thu 11/09/03 at 13:10
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Hmmmm, very strange. I didn't think that would be possible!
Thu 11/09/03 at 13:02
Regular
"A man with a stick"
"play ALL HALO SP LEVELS on Halo for PC

You need an xbox with halo, or just an image of the halo for xbox. Browse to the disc (via FTP if it is in your xbox, drive D) and open the maps directory. Now copy these files to your HALO PC's MAPS directory"

That is apparently how you unlock other single player levels in the beta. Don't know if it works though, I haven't got an X-Box with halo nor have I have got the beta so how truthful this is, I couldn't say.
Thu 11/09/03 at 08:14
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
cipro wrote:
> plus some cheeky swine's have managed to unlock later levels
> by using their X-Box disc of Halo.

I seriously doubt that. Its like when game demos were first released beck in the 80's and rumors flew around stating that the demo was a full game, but you have to hack it to get access to the final product. The engine powering Pc Halo is a vastly different beast from the Xbox version (its Gearbox software doing the port and not Bungie for a start) and is optimised for pc processors. The levels are also not redesigned, but rebuilt and compressed in a diffrent way from the Xbox version.

Sorry. I just can't see it.
Wed 10/09/03 at 20:27
"For the horde!!!!"
Will the multiplay matchs have bots or just online stuff.
Wed 10/09/03 at 13:41
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
You people get obsessed by viruses (virii?)
Go download AVG anti virus from www.grisoft.com, it's completely free. As long as you choose the free version. I've been using it for years.
Although the update server is sometimes down/clogged up.
Wed 10/09/03 at 11:54
Regular
"A man with a stick"
You have a good conspiracy theory Unknown Kernel with that software developers leaking their own game to get feedback, but I doubt that's happened here. 3 single player levels and 2 multiplayer levels are already available in the beta, which is even too much for a demo I think, plus some cheeky swine's have managed to unlock later levels by using their X-Box disc of Halo.

It's just too much to leak just to get a few bugs ironed out, and from what I could make out from the press release by Bungie yesterday, a demo is on the way anyway so there's no real need to leak a beta intentionally.

As for the beta itself, it's been getting allot of praise by those who've downloaded it, but I'm still not going to touch it for fear of catching a virus. I'll wait for the demo instead.
Tue 09/09/03 at 21:18
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Goatboy wrote:
> So everyone here is discussing the illegal download of leaked
> software?

That sounds harsh, lets call it "Quality Control".
Tue 09/09/03 at 17:02
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Ok then, everyone was nice about it except you :)
Tue 09/09/03 at 16:55
Regular
"relocated"
I condemned it in the strongest possible terms, ie you will all be mindless geek tools of the software industry.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.