GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Red Faction better than Half Life?!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/09/01 at 10:08
Regular
I'm sure plenty of you will be saying "shut up fool!" before even wanting to enter into a discussion.

I honestly feel that Half Life is one of the best games of all time. I've spent hours playing the single player game and I don't even want to think about how long I've been sat at my PC during Counterstrike (HL mod) sessions.

Thing is, Half Life is old hat now. The new one is on the way of course and there are still new mods coming out all the time but I feel it's time to have a look at something else.

Red Faction in my opinion (and of course I'm not always right!) is superb. It's not a Half Life beater but it really isn't far off the mark in terms of gameplay and progress.

The storyline is certainly as good as Half Life, the graphics are better of course due to the more recent release and gameplay is impressive.

With the imminent PC version I think that Red Faction could well go down the same route as HL in terms of mods and online gaming.

The PS2 version is great, very playable even with a Dual Shock pad with the added bonus of vibration.
I won't be getting the PC version although it's shaping up to be a big hit.

So let's have it, call me a fool, tell me not to rank them in the same league - long live the revolution!!! :D
Fri 21/09/01 at 19:39
Regular
"Touched!"
erm, do you like like Jak and Daxter...please say no!
Fri 21/09/01 at 19:22
Regular
"Whatever!"
spikecast2k wrote:
> yeah i like the look of this game a lot too!,improved grahpics and character
> models, is it me or do matty and i like the same games, lol

It does seem kind of ironic - We seem to share the same interest in games!!
Fri 21/09/01 at 19:17
Regular
"Touched!"
yeah i like the look of this game a lot too!,improved grahpics and character models, is it me or do matty and i like the same games, lol
Fri 21/09/01 at 18:47
Regular
"Whatever!"
Triple_H wrote:
> Dont underestimate Deus Ex

Thats yet another game I am eagerly awaiting!!
Fri 21/09/01 at 18:41
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Dont underestimate Deus Ex
Fri 21/09/01 at 18:41
Regular
"Whatever!"
I like Red Faction think its awesome!!

Ive never played Half Life so am looking forward to the PS2 release!!
Fri 21/09/01 at 15:17
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
i happen to like red faction even though i am not really into that style of games.
Fri 21/09/01 at 14:54
Regular
I've never played Half-life, but i think Red faction is crap. And yes, i do own the game.
Fri 21/09/01 at 12:42
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Have to disagree here.

Half-Life ruled, it was once of the reasons I bought a PC.
And the mods (Team Fortress & Counterstrike) are awesome.
But what held Half-Life together, as a game, was the story.

You were that scientist, you were just at work when it all went wrong.
You got sucked in to the plot and it twisted and turned like a twisty turny thing.
Sure, the graphics aren't brilliant, but it is a few years old now.

And then I played Red Faction on the PC.
The demo.
And the tutorial was awesome, sub vehicles with torpedeos, glass breaking etc.
Then the game.

And it left me bored stupid.
Run through mine, shoot guards. Run some more, blow a wall up, shoot some soldiers.
Might be different the further you get into it, but run here and shoot then run left me bored.

The thing about Half-life was the world it created for you.
From the get-go, on the train ride into the Black Mesa Complex watching the day-to-day workings of the place:

Robots churning away, staff walking about, then an army helicopter landing and soldiers pouring out? Why? Ah well, just background detail I'm sure.

Arrriving at the station, the guard greeting you, meeting all your colleagues, finding your way about etc etc.
And then the world went bad and you didn't know why.

Half-Life is awesome, Red Faction just seemed like a Total Recall run and shoot game to me.
Fri 21/09/01 at 12:37
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
well said :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.