GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The joys of budget re-release gaming!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/09/03 at 19:58
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Oh, the satisfaction...spent £15 yesterday on Aliens vs Predator 2 and Pharoah (the sequel to Caesar3), both of which were budget titles - the former costing £10 and the latter £5 - bargainous!

And what's even better - they're absolute gems! I'm currently playing through the marine section of AvP2 on normal difficulty and have only just started the second mission - it's as hard as nails and requires fresh underwear once every few mins!

Although there's nothing particularly ground-breaking in it (although I guess it must be about 10-12 months old now), everything in it I've seen so far is engineered to perfection. The music, sound and enemy AI are blended together brilliantly!

In the first mission, as you're creeping through a dark and dingy facility, you'll regularly have moments where you'll turn a corner or enter a new room, and you'll notice a sort of dark form in the corner or on the ceiling. And then...just as your eyes focus on the object...BAM! The damn thing leaps at ya! Gulp!

The beauty of it is that you'll be progressing through the first level for a good 20 to 30 mins before you actually encounter your first alien. As finally manage to boot up power to the complex (or something along those lines), it transpires that you've just managed to wake up the whole nest, cue scary music and sounds of scratching above and below floor panels, etc. And then, as soon as you start to move, one of the floor grills suddenly begins to deform, and you can hear an alien below it hissing and thumping against it. And then, just as you think it's about to give, another alien bursts through a ventilation shaft infront of it and catches you completely unawares.

These are just a couple of memorable moments so far...needless to say, there've been many more...I'm loving it!

As previously stated, I also purchased Pharaoh for a measly £5. It's basically a management sim, where you control the growth and construction of Egyptian settlements and all the related responsibilities. I'm probably not selling the game here, but take it from me - once ya get started, you're hooked!

Anyone else dipped in the sacred pond of budget gaming? :)
Mon 15/09/03 at 19:58
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Oh, the satisfaction...spent £15 yesterday on Aliens vs Predator 2 and Pharoah (the sequel to Caesar3), both of which were budget titles - the former costing £10 and the latter £5 - bargainous!

And what's even better - they're absolute gems! I'm currently playing through the marine section of AvP2 on normal difficulty and have only just started the second mission - it's as hard as nails and requires fresh underwear once every few mins!

Although there's nothing particularly ground-breaking in it (although I guess it must be about 10-12 months old now), everything in it I've seen so far is engineered to perfection. The music, sound and enemy AI are blended together brilliantly!

In the first mission, as you're creeping through a dark and dingy facility, you'll regularly have moments where you'll turn a corner or enter a new room, and you'll notice a sort of dark form in the corner or on the ceiling. And then...just as your eyes focus on the object...BAM! The damn thing leaps at ya! Gulp!

The beauty of it is that you'll be progressing through the first level for a good 20 to 30 mins before you actually encounter your first alien. As finally manage to boot up power to the complex (or something along those lines), it transpires that you've just managed to wake up the whole nest, cue scary music and sounds of scratching above and below floor panels, etc. And then, as soon as you start to move, one of the floor grills suddenly begins to deform, and you can hear an alien below it hissing and thumping against it. And then, just as you think it's about to give, another alien bursts through a ventilation shaft infront of it and catches you completely unawares.

These are just a couple of memorable moments so far...needless to say, there've been many more...I'm loving it!

As previously stated, I also purchased Pharaoh for a measly £5. It's basically a management sim, where you control the growth and construction of Egyptian settlements and all the related responsibilities. I'm probably not selling the game here, but take it from me - once ya get started, you're hooked!

Anyone else dipped in the sacred pond of budget gaming? :)
Tue 16/09/03 at 11:07
Regular
Lol, sounds like your having alot of fun. I've never really bought any bargains that were actually worth it though :P
Tue 16/09/03 at 11:35
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
I have bought: -

Gta3 - Tenner
Aikens Artifact - 99p (99p! I played this for a few weeks!)
No One Lives Forever 2 - 8 quid
Carmageddon TDR 2000 - 2.99
Thief 2, The Metal Age - 4.99
Homeworld - 1.99
Independence War 2 - Edge of Chaos (played this for months, excellent game)

All of which I have played through to the end.

All cheap, and in some cases cheaper than and overnight video rental. True, I've bought some stinkers in the past (Die Hard : Niakatomi Plaza springs to mind), but these are games I wouldn't never have bought full price, and one of the reasons I always look for budget games.
Tue 16/09/03 at 14:26
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I love budget games, they usually contain those title that I gave a miss since I didn't have the time or money to buy them when they where full priced. You can find lots of gems in the budget range, and at a price I'd be able to afford even if I where still on nothing more than pocket money.
Tue 16/09/03 at 17:12
Regular
Speaking of budget games, a gameplay magazine just came through my door and it's got some great bargains in there!
Mainly it's got a selection of PC games at 2 for £14.99 The games are Rainbow 6 Blackthorn, Black and White, Sim City 3000, Civilisation 2 + add on, Rainbow 6 Rogue Spear, F1 2002, Silent Hunter, C&C Red Alert 2, AvsP2, Unreal Tournament 2003, Diablo 2, Max Payne, Driver, Settlers 4, C&C Renegade, Serious Sam 2, GP 3, Ghost Recon, Need for Speed 5, Empire Earth and Worms Blast, along with a couple of others.

Not bad eh? Some great games in there for only 14.99! Might buy one or two from that list, depending on how much money I get.
Tue 16/09/03 at 20:10
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Big fan of budget games. The only bad thing is the availability: I've been trying to get Grand Prix Legends on Sold Out for ages, but I haven't ever seen it. Game seem more interested in selling the other titles.

The only disadvantage is, you rarely get the manual with one of the budget games. But you can get them off the web quite easily.
Tue 16/09/03 at 22:14
Regular
Oh and I forgot Mafia for £9.99 and what's that site?
Tue 16/09/03 at 22:14
Regular
Ooops, I meant and what's sold out?
Wed 17/09/03 at 10:23
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Der Nazi wrote:
> Big fan of budget games. The only bad thing is the availability: I've
> been trying to get Grand Prix Legends on Sold Out for ages, but I
> haven't ever seen it. Game seem more interested in selling the other
> titles.
>
> The only disadvantage is, you rarely get the manual with one of the
> budget games. But you can get them off the web quite easily.

The manuals usually take the form of a .pdf document in a sub foder on the disk usually exactly the same as the manual with the full game. To be honest though, I have *never* used a manual for anything less than a flight sim. Another advantage of budget, particularly Sold Out Software's range, is all the titles come with patches.
Wed 17/09/03 at 10:42
Regular
Pandemonium wrote:
> To be honest though, I have *never* used a manual for anything
> less than a flight sim.

I bought Civilisation on budget, and it worked fine on my computer (win98) except if I switched from the game to Windows then back again - the screen would be corrupted. So it's okay if you don't switch to Windows. However, because the manual was a pdf, and the game asks questions at the start about the manual, you've either got to have a good memory or print the manual. I just blagged it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.