GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"*Consoles Today.*"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/09/01 at 21:41
Regular
If you think about it, today we live in a world of amazing technology, and the rate at which technology is growing is really unbelieveable!
Lets look back about 10 years, to when the SEGA Master System and Nintendo Nes was released. These consoles where thought to be, 'State of the art!!', the very best! I remember looking back at old Nintendo magazines and old SEGA magazines, the reviews given for sonic - 'amazing graphics and super gameplay', at the time the graphics really where amazing! With hindsight, we would laugh at what we get now! But we must remember the consoles that first came out at that time, the grpahics seemed amazing at that time, but to us now, they look like the graphics have been drawn with a very think paint brush! If only then, had we looked into the future to see graphics that we have now on the PS2, X-Box, Gamecube and Dreamcast! We would have not believed it, and that is an important lesson at how we have all taken this to much for granted. Many peope say, 'Forget about the older consoles, the new ones are the best one to get and the better graphics!'. I agree, but if we did not have consoles like the Master System and the NES, then where would we be now? Companies would still be at the drawing board. These consoles have been the basis of computer graphics and console development, and the memories of of childhood. If we did not have these consoles then computer manufacturers would not be making games for PS2 and Dreamcast. Some of these consoles did not succedd, but still it has given us more experience and a lesson! Every mistake by a company and every poor game is also a right decision further along the line! It makes us understand and makes us learn from mistakes and helps the companies give us better games and better consoles. And i ask you to look on Special Reserve now and look at some of the graphics for the Gamecube or the X-box and compare them with the first consoles like the NES... the change is simply spectacular, within 10 years we have photo quality graphics, excellent games. So next time you go and buy a game in the shops or when you buy a new consoles... think of those companies who started up about 10 years ago to please us all, adn think at some of those consoles and companies who did not quite make it in our modern world, and take it as a lesson... and think of what would have happened to graphics, games and technology if they never did exist. Lets enjoy our new consoles and enjoy new games...... but never forget those consoles that were first released, they may look puny now, but they where the main foundations that has made this world.... CONSOLE CRAZY!!!!

Thanx.

Console_Kid.
Sun 23/09/01 at 14:42
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
LOL, yea so am i.

I think teh sequel to the x-box will bring pure realism, it should be amazing! but doesn't that mean there will be no need for console sequels if eventually graphics get life like????
Sat 22/09/01 at 00:22
Console_kid wrote:
> I think it is really down to people growing expectations.

One question.......
> if you were living 10 years ago when you owned a NEW os Master System, would you
> believe supeer grpahics like X-Box would be around now?

YES! I am an optimist... I EXPECT photorealism to occur soonish... i expect Artificial Intellignece to be made... i expect aliens to land on Earth.

I am disappointed often!
Sat 22/09/01 at 00:08
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
I think it is really down to people growing expectations.

One question....... if you were living 10 years ago when you owned a NEW os Master System, would you believe supeer grpahics like X-Box would be around now?
Fri 21/09/01 at 16:25
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
YEAH! i agree mario kart was amzing and i agree the N64 version was not as good, Mario Kart Advance.... is amazing!

I know Sonic has good gampelya because one button does i but i think other people would think that because of it gameplay was poor. I think gamplay was great but unfortuntely i haev met many people on the internet who think otherwise.
Thu 20/09/01 at 18:27
You make one HUGE mistake. You say that 10 years ago Sonic was said to have great graphics and gameplay. And now that would seem stupid.

Not so! Indeed the graphics, when compared to now, are aweful... but is the gameplay. One button does all... one of the most ingeniusly simple games of all time... and thus the gameplay is still fantastic.

But the rest of the topic was great... oh, and Mario Cart was far better than the 64 version ;)
Thu 20/09/01 at 18:17
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Yeah, its amazing to think what games really will be like. We have had The Master System to the X-Box in just about 10 years!!!!! Now compare those graphics! the speed at which consoles are getting more advanced is scary!

I remember pong! I wonder if it is worth anything now?
Thu 20/09/01 at 09:52
Regular
Processing chips with 1024 pins in them.

That's the future of gaming :-)
Wed 19/09/01 at 22:52
It's quite hard to imagine what future consoles will be like because of how quick they advance. In ten or twenty years time, we could see consoles that are 1028-bit or something like that.
Wed 19/09/01 at 22:16
Regular
I can remeber a golf game that was just a straight line with a gap in it, and the golf ball was square. That was the whole game. Compare that to what we've got now.
The question is: what will games be like in 10, 20, 30 years time? The mind boggles.

*Nomad_Soul thinks for minute....

B B B B
O O O O
G G G G
G G G G
L L L L
E E E E
Wed 19/09/01 at 21:47
Regular
"Back For Good"
It's come a long way since pong and space invaders I'll give you that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.