GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Learning curves."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/09/01 at 18:56
Regular
I'll try to keep this short and to the point.

1) You get bored easily if there isn't a learning curve.
2) You have to actually 'learn' in order to say the game has a learning curve.
3) Most games don't nowadays.

Hence games are frequently dull after a short period of time.

You buy a racing game. The only learning involved is memorising the tracks. No fun. Then you play it for X-hundred hours to 'open everything up'. Pointless. Dull.

Or a FPS. The only learning involved is where the health and ammo, and enemies are. You already know all the tactics you're ever going to learn for them. Also dull.

The last game I played which I can truly say had a proper learning curve, was Tony Hawks Skateboarding. Everybody started from scratch with that, which is why it was a classic, and had great lastability.

If a game doesn't do something new, you'll probably get bored of it quickly, and in my case, I'm probably bored of it before I play it.
Wed 19/09/01 at 18:56
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I'll try to keep this short and to the point.

1) You get bored easily if there isn't a learning curve.
2) You have to actually 'learn' in order to say the game has a learning curve.
3) Most games don't nowadays.

Hence games are frequently dull after a short period of time.

You buy a racing game. The only learning involved is memorising the tracks. No fun. Then you play it for X-hundred hours to 'open everything up'. Pointless. Dull.

Or a FPS. The only learning involved is where the health and ammo, and enemies are. You already know all the tactics you're ever going to learn for them. Also dull.

The last game I played which I can truly say had a proper learning curve, was Tony Hawks Skateboarding. Everybody started from scratch with that, which is why it was a classic, and had great lastability.

If a game doesn't do something new, you'll probably get bored of it quickly, and in my case, I'm probably bored of it before I play it.
Wed 19/09/01 at 19:37
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I can see what your saying this is always the case with most sequels but it's going to be hard to find something new to do in a FPS say what things could actually be done to change it without changing the format?

At least with new consoles and computers new things can be done and 'good' games developers are always trying to come up with original ideas for their games nowadays. It would be hard to put something new in say an F1 game that wasn't similar to before thats why only frame rate, smoothness, graphics and updated teams, drivers and so on are the only real differences between F1 games.

:D
Thu 20/09/01 at 13:03
Regular
Isn't a learning curve how you gradually get the game harder as the player masters it?

Take Goldeneye for instance.

Everyone can complete the Dam on agent.
Infact most easily complete the game on Agent and get half way through Secret Agent.
From there, they've learnt the basic tricks and tactics.

From there it depends whether they can keep going to beat 00 Agent and unlock the cheats.

It's a good learning curve because begnners can easily get into it while experts have plenty of challenge to keep them occupied.
Thu 20/09/01 at 14:30
Regular
"not dead"
What about the 3D adventures, in which you learn new moves as you go? You're constantly learning new things, but not through practice, and getting better at them, but simply being given them.

You say that unlocking everything is boring, I don't necessarily agree with that, when I've done it I feel I've achieved something.

Thing is, if you were thrown in at the last level of a game would you find it the same as you would if you had slowly progressed to it, or would you find it too difficult having not experienced the learning curve through earlier levels?
Thu 20/09/01 at 14:34
Regular
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> What about the 3D adventures, in which you learn new moves as you go? You're
> constantly learning new things, but not through practice, and getting better at
> them, but simply being given them.

That's all about mastering your current moves before you get started on the new ones.
It would be pretty confising to have loads of moves as soon as you start.

Learning them one at a time lets you get to grips with them one at a time.
Sat 22/09/01 at 02:29
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I agree, amny games are lacking these now. Starfighter had one, and so did Quake 3 Revolution and GT3, and these are some of the best games I have.

Hmm, I have a strange urge to suddenly play Quake 3, but my PS2's upstairs.

Gah, I can't be bothered. CS it is then.
Sun 23/09/01 at 19:26
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
mario kart supercircuit has a decent learning curve, with its steps in difficulty in the different kart classes and the grading system.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.