GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Localisation"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/03/07 at 20:47
Regular
As soon as I saw Elebits< I knew it was destined to be one of the most refreshingly original games for Nintendo’s Wii. And I couldn’t wait. Reviews across the web praised the title for it’s unique and satisfying approach to gameplay. And it is for this reason that I cast an envious eye over my American cousins. Because, for us poor UK gamers, the game isn’t out yet.

In fact the game, which has been pointlessly renamed Eledees, isn’t due for release until April. But that’s nothing compared to the six months we waited for the GameCube, or the ten months we tapped our feet for Pokémon< or the two years it took for Animal Crossing to come out. Indeed, watching the world play games and consoles weeks, months and even years before we get to, is a bane we European gamers have had to bare since the market began.

Publishers blame these delays on the translation. There are so many European languages that it takes time (although not as long as publishers would like you to think) before games are translated into every one. So before we in the UK get our hands on the software, we must await its translation into French, German, Spanish, Italian and so forth. And this is despite the fact we speak the same language as our American friends.
However, the real problem I have is not with the delays, that I can cope with, it’s with lazy translations.

Last year I spent some time working for Partnertrans, a video game testing company that specializes in testing languages. Therefore I know first hand how much effort developers put in when trying to get that German version of Splinter Cell just right. So then why are these developers incapable of getting the English version just right? Who is this “Mom” I speak to in Pokémon? Why is “autumn” called “fall” in Harvest Moon? And as for the Gameboy Color, well that was just an embarrassment when it first hit UK shores.

You may think this is just pettiness, and in many respects it is. But if I have to wait months or years for a game to get translated then why is my copy still in American? Why do the French get a nicely translated video game whilst I am left with some American code shoe horned into a PAL disc? It is no wonder that importing is so popular over here when you can buy the exact same game earlier (and for less) from the United States.

I know developers can translate their games properly. It took Nintendo eight months to release Majora’s Mask in England, and in that time they gave the game to some plucky young Brit who translated it perfectly. He even introduced quintessential English terms, such as “Blimey”, into the mix, additions that did not go unnoticed.

The eight months we waited for Majora’s Mask was not so the Greeks or the Italians could have a nice personal version of the game… it was so we could as well, and it soon became my favourite (not favorite) Nintendo 64 game.

But this didn’t catch on and don’t expect things to change in the future. Elebits will still take another two months to come out, it’ll still feature a heavy dose of American prose and it’ll still have that ridiculous new moniker. But you know what? Who cares? What is two different variations of the same language really? And you know I can always entertain myself in the mean time by playing Excite Truck.

That game that was released two months earlier in the states.
Mon 26/03/07 at 22:24
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
>
> I didn't reply because I guess you're right. It really isn't
> suited here. But I thought I may as well post it. I mean what
> was the harm?
>
> Exactly. There is no harm, but you will get people asking why
> you posted it and questioning whether it should have been.
> That's just how it is

There is the oppertunity to win a game of your choice every day... I have a recently produced article... would you not do the same?

But I've learnt my lesson. If I feel it won't get read or commented on then I'll leave it. I stick with reviews or cheats for my voucher fix.
Wed 14/03/07 at 23:16
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Dringo wrote:
> You think I have a problem with criticism? Really? I know I write
> some bad eggs. I start off with an idea and if the end product
> isn't quite right, well I'll post it anyway.

And there's the first mistake

> I'd understand it in the creative writing forum, or the reviews
> forum... but in a chat forum... no... sorry I don't understand
> why you have to say anything at all.

Exactly how long have you been on the internet? As soon as you post anything up on a forum it's open for criticism especially when it's a review, article or whatever. You gave your opinion and after my ultra "malicious" attack of suggesting the latest edition of Edge was out (wow how the heck did i manage to avoid a banning for that vicious attack?) i then gave my opinion. Of course you then start babbling about interviews for this and that so yea i'm going to comment on that to (and like i said twice now, more power to you)

You don't want opinions or criticism then don't post, otherwise post your article and deal with the fact not everyone will be showering you with plaudits and may *gasp* dare to criticise your writing and not agree with you.

God this has dragged on way too long
Wed 14/03/07 at 20:49
Regular
"8==="
Dringo wrote:
>
> I didn't reply because I guess you're right. It really isn't
> suited here. But I thought I may as well post it. I mean what
> was the harm?

Exactly. There is no harm, but you will get people asking why you posted it and questioning whether it should have been. That's just how it is.
Wed 14/03/07 at 19:54
Regular
You think I have a problem with criticism? Really? I know I write some bad eggs. I start off with an idea and if the end product isn't quite right, well I'll post it anyway.

Then there are issues of readership. Perhaps I should not post a direct replica of what I have produced for a different audience. But you know, I thought I may as well. Someone may have found it interesting. My previous article on violence was a request by a magazine. I wrote it in their style and for their audience...

But you know, next time I'll know better (or not... who knows).

My problem isn't with the criticism. It's with the reasons behind it. If you scroll through everything (every last thing) I have produced for this website in the past year you'll see at least two people crop up with something malicious to say. It could be about the writing itself, or something that isn't even relevant. It's what happens here all the time. I get it over at Pocket Monkey, although I'm left alone in the Nintendo forum.

Anyway, I didn't post this here to get criticised, I posted it here for a discussion (or a game... or both). If someone writes something I'm interested in discussing I'll discuss it. If not I'll not discuss it. I won't think "right, I'll offer criticism".

I'd understand it in the creative writing forum, or the reviews forum... but in a chat forum... no... sorry I don't understand why you have to say anything at all.
Wed 14/03/07 at 19:33
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> He didn't reply to my one.
>
> I'm not making it personal but I'm saying that his enthusiasm
> for a topic makes him over look the fact that no-one else is
> really interested in it.
>
> Something I'm occasionally guilty of (in that all you fools
> really should watch The Unit! Although I didn't write an essay
> about it!)

I didn't reply because I guess you're right. It really isn't suited here. But I thought I may as well post it. I mean what was the harm?
Tue 13/03/07 at 23:36
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Heh, now who's self-inflating their own ego? Dringo for me to not like you would require me to actually give a Garibaldi about you, there's plenty of people for me in real life to dislike for me to worry about some guy online who writes boring articles about topics that have been covered to death (yes it may be new to Nintendojo, obviously they've never read another gaming website, but then this isn't Nintendojo is it?)

Despite what your ego may think i don't sit around waiting for the next Dringo "masterpiece" ready to pounce with a standard "boring" response just because it's you, if it's any good i'll say it's good and if it's boring i'll say it's boring. If you're serious about your writing then i suggest you learn to take criticism because me saying off the cuff "Oooh the latest edition of Edge must be out" is nothing compared to what you'll actually get in a competitive environment where your work will be criticised from every angle.

Soon as you write something good i'll say it's good, until then then yes i'll keep saying it's boring and, as has been said in this thread already, i'm not exactly alone in that sentiment so obviously it's not just me picking on you because you're you, there's something wrong with your writing. I suggest you address that instead of going "Oooooh mean Kawada, you're only saying it's bad because it's me, it's awesome really"
Tue 13/03/07 at 22:55
Regular
"8==="
He didn't reply to my one.

I'm not making it personal but I'm saying that his enthusiasm for a topic makes him over look the fact that no-one else is really interested in it.

Something I'm occasionally guilty of (in that all you fools really should watch The Unit! Although I didn't write an essay about it!)
Tue 13/03/07 at 22:44
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
On the other hand, saying all the criticism is personal is a very easy way to deflect and devalue it.

The article may well have been intended for nintendojo.com. In fact I looked at it there and it does fit better. But this is Freeola chat forums and the requirements are different I think. That it was a GAD attempt doesnt really change that.
Tue 13/03/07 at 19:43
Regular
Kawada wrote:
don't insult our intelligence that you'd be here
> more if we were all happy chappies who skipped in the field of
> daisies together but because we're too harsh on you you don't
> stick around. Your posts are for GAD's, pure and simple.

Don't be a prat. I used to vote fot Notables, chat in the general forum, discuss other peoples posts, enter Ortega's football competitions... in fact I was several times the top poster for the past 30 days.

The fact is I used to write these "GAD attempts" and those that found them uninteresting or nothing to do with them would ignore them.

I mean if I wasn't the author of the post you'd have ignored it. But because I wrote it you felt you had to make some comment that ranges from "Boring" to "did you steal it?"... Why? Other than to self-inflate your own ego?

This post was written for an American audience. My spec was "Write a bi-weekly article covering various aspects of the UK video game market"... this topic may have been done to death for you, but for the readership of Nintendojo it was new. As I had already produced the article I thought I may as well enter it for Gameaday.

If you didn't care... why reply?

We both know the answer to that question... and that's why I post more regulary elsewhere.

Because, simply, you don't like me.
Sun 11/03/07 at 21:26
Regular
"8==="
Kawada wrote:
>
> Well i can't comment for others but i slate you because the
> articles bring absolutely nothing new to the table on topics
> that have been covered to death. There's a difference between
> writing alot that's interesting and writing alot that sends
> people like Garin to sleep.

Agreed, he misses the mark with his over-enthusiasm.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.