GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Next Level....?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/09/01 at 15:31
Regular
We want more. As a race we will continue to evolve at a phenominal rate and push ourselves to absolute limits. You only have to look at the modern world to recognise that the desire to touch, feel or experience the new is one of humanities greatest drives.

In most walks of life this is apparant but within the gaming world this is the very factor that keeps the momentum going. From the first time users experienced Pong people started considering the possibilities of creating a world within a world, a reality that could defy the basic laws of physics and an entertainment genre that had endless possibilities.

But are there endless possibilities? Can we continue to better every game that is released with the next, or have we come to realise that gaming is not so much a different reality, but an extension to the one we all exist in?

I think we have pushed gaming as far as it can in its current form. Yes, the graphics improve exponentially. Yes, motion is becoming faster and more fluid and yes games are getting longer. But I think we all know that this doesn't add up to a dramatic change in gaming. We are constantly craving new games (you only have to look at this site to know this) but are equally dissappointed when a game turns out to be a re-hash of something that was released 2 or 3 years ago. I mean, are you any more scared by the latest Resident Evil than you were when you experienced the first one? I dont think so. Did you want it to be? Of course.

We even know what to expect nowadays. Current gaming relies on either taking a natural event (ie one of this world) and placing it in a world that is different from our own, or putting the user in a situation that although exists in the real world, he or she would not normally be found doing it. I agree GT3 is stunning to look at but it sure as hell doesn't beat getting behind the wheel of a car and driving. Reality gaming, anyone? There was me thinking picking up my PS2 controller meant an escape...

I want games that challenge me, that are intuitive and make me think. Of course I want games to marvel at and sonically appreciate but I know thats going to happen anyway. I want depth, I want things I have never, ever seen before. I want to empathise with characters and no longer be the innocent bystander. I want to be tested, to push myself, christ I even want to dream about them sometimes.

But its in our hands. As gamers we ultimately decide what succeeds and what fails. So next time you think of buying Resident Evil 6 or Sonic 22, ask yourself.... is this really taking you to the next level?
Mon 17/09/01 at 15:31
Regular
"Acid Casual"
We want more. As a race we will continue to evolve at a phenominal rate and push ourselves to absolute limits. You only have to look at the modern world to recognise that the desire to touch, feel or experience the new is one of humanities greatest drives.

In most walks of life this is apparant but within the gaming world this is the very factor that keeps the momentum going. From the first time users experienced Pong people started considering the possibilities of creating a world within a world, a reality that could defy the basic laws of physics and an entertainment genre that had endless possibilities.

But are there endless possibilities? Can we continue to better every game that is released with the next, or have we come to realise that gaming is not so much a different reality, but an extension to the one we all exist in?

I think we have pushed gaming as far as it can in its current form. Yes, the graphics improve exponentially. Yes, motion is becoming faster and more fluid and yes games are getting longer. But I think we all know that this doesn't add up to a dramatic change in gaming. We are constantly craving new games (you only have to look at this site to know this) but are equally dissappointed when a game turns out to be a re-hash of something that was released 2 or 3 years ago. I mean, are you any more scared by the latest Resident Evil than you were when you experienced the first one? I dont think so. Did you want it to be? Of course.

We even know what to expect nowadays. Current gaming relies on either taking a natural event (ie one of this world) and placing it in a world that is different from our own, or putting the user in a situation that although exists in the real world, he or she would not normally be found doing it. I agree GT3 is stunning to look at but it sure as hell doesn't beat getting behind the wheel of a car and driving. Reality gaming, anyone? There was me thinking picking up my PS2 controller meant an escape...

I want games that challenge me, that are intuitive and make me think. Of course I want games to marvel at and sonically appreciate but I know thats going to happen anyway. I want depth, I want things I have never, ever seen before. I want to empathise with characters and no longer be the innocent bystander. I want to be tested, to push myself, christ I even want to dream about them sometimes.

But its in our hands. As gamers we ultimately decide what succeeds and what fails. So next time you think of buying Resident Evil 6 or Sonic 22, ask yourself.... is this really taking you to the next level?
Wed 19/09/01 at 10:21
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Just thought I'd congratulate myself.
Wed 19/09/01 at 11:13
Congrats Herr newbie. That is a fine post and, largely owing to my faith in the SR tribe, worthy of the GAD win.

I think for a start the difficulty level in todays games needs to be upped. Games used to be a lot harder, I'm sure anyone thats familiar with the original "Dungeon Master" will agree with me.

Games are fun, I enjoy them immensley, but they've stopped making us think. We just play and enjoy. Much like many of todays films don't make us think, we just watch and enjoy on a very basic level. But then a really "special" film will hit us, we need this in gaming.

I'd like a game that makes me think and concentrate as willingly and as strongly as, say, the film "Memento"

The "problem" with games is that while films don't have to rely on huge rewatch value, gamers want to be able to keep going back.
Fri 21/09/01 at 11:11
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Why is my win not yellow like evryone elses?? :(
Fri 21/09/01 at 12:15
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
It is, you must be colour blind.

* Runs upstairs*
Fri 21/09/01 at 12:37
Regular
"Acid Casual"
I am.

*runs downstairs*
Fri 21/09/01 at 12:54
"I hate that!!!"
I know this has got nothing to do with the subject but.............. why..........didn't I win I deserved to win and i spent nearly all day doing that reveiw. *doughnut monster sobs and stomps of*
Fri 21/09/01 at 12:56
Regular
"Acid Casual"
What review? And anyway there's a separate prize for reviews/cheats and I won the other one for discussion...
Fri 21/09/01 at 12:58
"I hate that!!!"
Worms armageddon I had to post it in the chat forum 'cos Worms armageddon wasn't availible.
Fri 21/09/01 at 12:59
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Ahh.. I see. I guess you'd have to ask SR on that one then...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.