GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Eyetoy: Groove screens?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/09/03 at 15:15
Regular
"pause.tk" "13cm"
Anyone got any screenshots of groove?
Sun 28/09/03 at 15:44
Regular
That's good to hear! It is quite good fun, particularly on hard when you end up waving your arms frantically for the last 30-40 seconds of the game, desperately trying to keep up. They speed up gradually, so by the end, its pretty frantic.

How 'bout mirror time? Making any progress with that? I will try Boxing Chump, but I took my stuff up to uni yesterday, but I'm home until Tuesday, so will make no more progress with it until then.
Sun 28/09/03 at 13:59
Regular
"pause.tk" "13cm"
I've worked out the complexities of slapstream now- it rules.
Sun 28/09/03 at 12:56
Regular
Pyonth wrote:
> Boxing chump is class, how can you rate it so lowly? Dodging and
> diving through that dudes punches is class!!

I dunno, I find the collision detection to be a little vague sometimes. Perhaps I'll give it a few more tries before I judge it too harshly.

> I find slapstream and mirror time too sensitive, and often i barely
> touch anything and it gets slapped.

If you go to Options, then to Camera Settings, then to Sensitivity, you can turn the sensitivity to Low, Medium or High. If its set to High, give Medium a go and see if that helps.

> But Rocket Rumble is, indeed, superb. great combos, great concept,
> great fun.

Definitely! Its not all that great on Easy, but on Normal and Hard it gets better and better. I really don't have any complaints about the game, other than that perhaps they could make it longer, and perhaps a little more complicated on hard.

> And you obviously haven't experienced wishi Washi to its potential if
> you don't rank it in the top - it's tiring, fun and compulsive.

At first, I would have rated it top, as it was the one that grabbed me straight away, but it just didn't last. Besides, I have a disadvantage with it. I'm 6'4", and I can rarely be bothered to adjust the camera, so in multiplayer, everybody else gets to stand much closer, making it easier :D

> As for the stereotypes, I noticed it too.

It is just one of those games isn't it. Ah well! I was trying to think if any other games were as obvious as this one, but I really can't come up with any examples. Any suggestions?
Sun 28/09/03 at 11:32
Regular
"pause.tk" "13cm"
I've just played slapstream stood a bit further back - it rocks.

Now... mirror time.
Sun 28/09/03 at 11:21
Regular
"pause.tk" "13cm"
I haven't deiced which is best or worst yet, but i've got 3 sections on which I'll tell you

Superb
---
Rocket Rumble
Kung Foo
Wishi Washi
Boxing Chump

Decent
---
UFO Juggler
Ghost Catcher
Beat Freak
Keep-Ups

Poor
---
Plate Spinner
Slapstream
Mirror Time
Boogie Down

Boxing chump is class, how can you rate it so lowly? Dodging and diving through that dudes punches is class!!

I find slapstream and mirror time too sensitive, and often i barely touch anything and it gets slapped.

But Rocket Rumble is, indeed, superb. great combos, great concept, great fun.

And you obviously haven't experienced wishi Washi to its potential if you don't rank it in the top - it's tiring, fun and compulsive.

As for the stereotypes, I noticed it too.
Sun 28/09/03 at 10:58
Regular
I agree that on Play, it is nice to have the variety. How would you rate each of the games?

I think I'd rank them like this:

Rocket Rumble
Slapstream
Mirror Time
Kung Foo
Wishi Washi
Boogie Down
UFO Juggler
Ghost Catcher
Beat Freak
Keep-Ups
Boxing Chump
Plate Spinner

Also, have you noticed the pictures they use in the manuals? Each of the main photos with the on screen instructions shows a person chosen to act out a game, and this person always comes under some stereotype or another. They really want to show that this game can be used by anyone, but at the same time, they're saying that only certain people can use each subgame.

Beat Freak - The first one, and its dancing, so it has to be the girl. Not too young so as to keep all audiences interested. Couldn't be a guy, that would just get the manual off on the wrong foot.

Kung Foo - Ah yes, of course, the man's game. Yeh right. The guy is there posing like a constipated tree. Couldn't be a girl, they don't have 'violent' emotions for three quarters of each month.

Wishi Washi - Of course, one for the geeks. This needs to have a person who would find window washing fun, and appreciate the music. Bring out the geek with the massive smile. Couldn't be a girl here either, they have to avoid the washing up stereotype.

Keep-Ups - Okay, we've had too many kids. How 'bout we show that parents can join in too! How 'bout the Dad strutting his stuff in a football related game. Bring on Dad making fool of self. This can't be a young boy, after all, he'd seem sad doing that indoors.

Boxing Chump - While we're at it, we should also deal with the younger generation eh? How about boxing an opponent who happens to be the same size as a 5 year old? This can't be an adult fighter, after all, they'd be too big.

UFO Juggler - And for the little girl trying to learn how to juggle, we can show some silly girl who is actually looking to their side to try and find the real UFO, rather than realising that the UFO is only on the *screen*. Wow, that'll make it seem believable. This couldn't be an adult, they'd already know how.

Slapstream - Ah, the fighting man is back, he can slap the bad guys, but shouldn't slap the ladies. Couldn't be an adult, they're not violent, and it couldn't be a lady, in case they're tempted to slap the women in bunny costumes.

Plate Spinner - A step up from juggling, so its still got to be a girl, but perhaps one a little older and more 'skilled'. Not a guy thing, and not for adults who lack the same coordination.

Boogie Down - Okay, we're far enough through now that people are hooked. Time to start mixing things up. Lets put the Dad back in again now to look stupid on a rythm game. Again, it obviously couldn't be a young lad though, we're not far enough yet.

Ghost Catcher - Erm, one for Grandma eh? Why does she get the ghosts - that's a little unfair surely? Still, she does a 'great' impression of being scared. Couldn't be a man, they wouldn't be scared, honest.

Mirror Time - Shove the girl back in again. She may have rythm but obviously she doesn't know left from right. Men can't use this game because obviously they wouldn't want to get shown up after years of pretending to be better at lefts and rights.

Rocket Rumble - I don't actually get this one. I think they might have run out of ideas. Perhaps the Dad is the experienced one with thought processes capable of handling combinations, and being original. He has his head stuck above the select horizon though, simply to make the photographer happy.

Thankfully they all have a couple of extra smaller photos to represent other groups capable of using the games, but I still find their choices funny. The thing I like the most though is that they label the person on the screen "you".

The problem with this is that there are two groups here. Firstly, those who aren't that stupid, and those will turn round and say "Well, duh". Its so stupidly obvious they'll think the manual is a waste of time. On the other hand, if the reader is actually stupid enough not to realise that its where "you" would be standing, then I wouldn't be surprised if they are also stupid enough to think "Hey, I had no idea I looked like that!".
Sun 28/09/03 at 09:39
Regular
"pause.tk" "13cm"
I know, and if it's just 1 soingle game, I dobt I'll get it, however good it is -on [play, I constantly chop and change which game to play.
Sun 28/09/03 at 09:36
Regular
That's true, but from the Gamespot report, there were several eyetoy displays, but only one from Groove, which did in fact have lots of errors as it was an early version. Perhaps nobody had the chance to take a screenshot from this single demo.
Sun 28/09/03 at 09:23
Regular
"pause.tk" "13cm"
It was at ETCS, so somewhere should have it.

Unless it's spectacular, which it isn't sounding now, I probably will wait for the sport one.
Sun 28/09/03 at 09:14
Regular
IGN don't seem to have heard of it, and Gamespot has only written previews, not screenshots, so I'm guessing its too early yet. No doubt plenty will appear soon though. Anyway, what's a screenshot going to tell you anyway? All its going to be is a screen of some guy stood there acting like an idiot, waving at some flashing lights.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.