GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hello Mr. Namco"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/09/03 at 11:35
Regular
Nintendo's friendship with Namco is a bit of a strange one. Nintendo are going hell and leather to impress and "induct" all major Japanese companies. The Zelda and Micky Mouse deals between Nintendo and Capcom landed the entire Resident Evil series exclusive to Gamecube as well as 5 original titles exclusive to Gamecube... initially anyway.

See that's Nintendo successfully impressing and grabbing a company that in the previous generation only made a handful of games for them. Then lets look at SEGA, Nintendo created ties straight away. Amusement Vision's deal with F Zero GX has tied up Super Monkey Ball with Nintendo's home console and of course involved talks with the Sonic team has meant a whole host of exclusives for the Big N.

Then there be Konami, who previously stuck by Nintendo during the 64 era have almost completley waved goodbye to Nintendo. No Castlevania anymore on the Cube and I don't see any Mystical Ninja either. But with a bit of persuation (We'll make the game, publish it... you get a cut of the profit) an MGS game has appeared exclusivly. So what next? As Silicon Knights stresses... this is a start of a beautiful relationship.

Of course I could hamper on about Hudson and the such like... but it's Namco I'm most intrigued in. Nintendo have handed the company so many little money making "gifts" in the last few years... and there is no exclusive Tekken or Ridge Racer in sight. Not that that's a problem of course, afterall most Namco titles appear on the Cube these days and that was a laughable fact during the 64 era. But below is a list of "collaborations" between Nintendo and Namco over the last year... and you may start to wonder where the fruits of these collaborations are?

1: Namco join with Nintendo and SEGA to form Tri-force... a new arcade system.

2: Nintendo and Namco confirm a joint project for the upcoming Star-fox game.

3: Nintendo allow Link to appear in Soul Calibur 2, increasing sales to the point that the Gamecube sells the most Soul Calibur 2 titles.

4: Miyamoto spends a lot of his time making a Pac-man game... and hands it over to Namco to do what the hell they want with it. (as it happens bundle it with another game or give it away free)

4: Nintendo confirm a second joint project with Namco with Donkey Konga.

And yet Namco remain devotted to Sony.... why?
Sun 28/09/03 at 16:50
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:

> That's Silicon Knights - naff all to do with Namco.

He means as a near-enough confirmed N5 title.

But surly it might be nice if mega selling games Time Crisis and Tekken could become multi-format... especially with all of these temptations from Namco.
Sun 28/09/03 at 16:36
Regular
Erm... yes, but it's a possible N5 launch title.
Sun 28/09/03 at 15:51
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> Well supposedly we already have Too Human to look forward to, so
> hopefully.
>

That's Silicon Knights - naff all to do with Namco.
Sun 28/09/03 at 12:47
Regular
Well supposedly we already have Too Human to look forward to, so hopefully.

I still need Killer Instinct, though, for that alone I may get an XBox.
Sun 28/09/03 at 12:35
Regular
"8==="
Perhaps we'll see the results when the launch of Nintendo's next console comes around.

Killer-exclusive-launch-titles anyone?
Sun 28/09/03 at 12:13
Regular
I thought R-Racing was a Namco game exclusive to the Cube? Or did I imagine it?

Regardless, all these subtleties must be leading up to something; while publishers like Acclaim leaving the GameCube altogether may seem a huge blow, if Nintendo are making this muc effort to get exclusives from Namco, SEGA, Capcom and EA, surely they disregarded Acclaim a while ago not to make any kind of move.

But those moves won't really matter anyway if Nintendo do manage to get the likes of Konami and Namco behind them, some of the biggest Japanese development teams could be making countless GameCube games by the start of 2004.

While Namco do seem to be resisting, it seems to me like they're biding their time; everyone knows that the PS2 is where the money is, but if Nintendo successfully make some solid relationships with other developers and publishers, I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped ship. Until then no doubt there will be a whole load of mini-titles, extra's or whatveer else coming to the Cube.

While to many people Nintendo seem to be slacking in terms of tryng to get sales, perhaps this is the master plan that just hasn't kicked in yet. By this time next year we coudl be seeing Pro Evo 4, Metal Gear Solid 4 and a variety of other exclusives careering towards the GameCube. All we can do is hope.

Great post Dringo, of excellent quality, as per usual ;-)
Sun 28/09/03 at 11:44
Regular
"pause.tk" "13cm"
I can see what you're getting at, but Sony PS2 sells games.

I wish Namco would support the Cube moe, but as long at they are still supporting it, I don't care.
Sun 28/09/03 at 11:35
Regular
Nintendo's friendship with Namco is a bit of a strange one. Nintendo are going hell and leather to impress and "induct" all major Japanese companies. The Zelda and Micky Mouse deals between Nintendo and Capcom landed the entire Resident Evil series exclusive to Gamecube as well as 5 original titles exclusive to Gamecube... initially anyway.

See that's Nintendo successfully impressing and grabbing a company that in the previous generation only made a handful of games for them. Then lets look at SEGA, Nintendo created ties straight away. Amusement Vision's deal with F Zero GX has tied up Super Monkey Ball with Nintendo's home console and of course involved talks with the Sonic team has meant a whole host of exclusives for the Big N.

Then there be Konami, who previously stuck by Nintendo during the 64 era have almost completley waved goodbye to Nintendo. No Castlevania anymore on the Cube and I don't see any Mystical Ninja either. But with a bit of persuation (We'll make the game, publish it... you get a cut of the profit) an MGS game has appeared exclusivly. So what next? As Silicon Knights stresses... this is a start of a beautiful relationship.

Of course I could hamper on about Hudson and the such like... but it's Namco I'm most intrigued in. Nintendo have handed the company so many little money making "gifts" in the last few years... and there is no exclusive Tekken or Ridge Racer in sight. Not that that's a problem of course, afterall most Namco titles appear on the Cube these days and that was a laughable fact during the 64 era. But below is a list of "collaborations" between Nintendo and Namco over the last year... and you may start to wonder where the fruits of these collaborations are?

1: Namco join with Nintendo and SEGA to form Tri-force... a new arcade system.

2: Nintendo and Namco confirm a joint project for the upcoming Star-fox game.

3: Nintendo allow Link to appear in Soul Calibur 2, increasing sales to the point that the Gamecube sells the most Soul Calibur 2 titles.

4: Miyamoto spends a lot of his time making a Pac-man game... and hands it over to Namco to do what the hell they want with it. (as it happens bundle it with another game or give it away free)

4: Nintendo confirm a second joint project with Namco with Donkey Konga.

And yet Namco remain devotted to Sony.... why?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.