GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Motherboard Help!!!!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/09/03 at 22:00
Regular
"" I Hope This Works"
I been looking at the nForce 2 motherboard it has a onboard GeForce 4 graphics card can anyone tell me if it is the GeForce 4 Ti or the mx 440 series, be grateful if anyone could tell me and if anyone has got one is it any good?

P.S Cheers
Tue 07/10/03 at 15:06
Regular
"uncopyable"
lnsane Bartender wrote:
> Isn;t that because onboard GFX aer usually complete shít?

Which kinda' validates my point really.

The onboard GFX ARE crap, the Mobo manufacturer knows it and the consumer (on the whole) knows it, hence it doesn't add hardly anything to the cost.
Tue 07/10/03 at 14:19
Isn;t that because onboard GFX aer usually complete shít?
Tue 07/10/03 at 14:17
Regular
"uncopyable"
hmmm, i would have to disagree on that one mate.

The nforce 2 board is by far the best AMD mobo, and all of them come with some sort of onboard GFX. So if you want the best performance the AMD route can offer, you need an Nforce 2! Simple as.

Also, go check on somewhere like Dabs.com and i think you will find that the difference in price between mobos with and without on board GFX is very small - in fact i doubt you'll find to many new Mobos without some kind of on board GFX.
Fri 03/10/03 at 12:38
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Safedisc_V2 wrote:
> Why don't you just buy the nForce 2 mobo (which, for the record is by
> far the best performing AMD mobo on the market) then disable the
> onboard Graphics (which are, as everyone has said, crap) and then fit
> your own AGP GFX card. Something like a Radeon 9600 should do the job
> nicely.

Or just dont buy a board with onboard graphics and save the extra money for a nice card. Think that boards with onboard graphics are going to be abit more than boards without.
Fri 03/10/03 at 10:05
Regular
"uncopyable"
Why don't you just buy the nForce 2 mobo (which, for the record is by far the best performing AMD mobo on the market) then disable the onboard Graphics (which are, as everyone has said, crap) and then fit your own AGP GFX card. Something like a Radeon 9600 should do the job nicely.
Thu 02/10/03 at 23:33
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
The Colonel wrote:
> I thought the mx 420 was only 64mb the one i was looking at was 128mb
> ddr or is the mx 420 also 128

Maybe but I dont think so. For the love of god dont get onboard graphics if you want to play games. My friend has a XP2000 512mb Ram and a 64mb MX420 and Halo runs crap. Just about do 800x600 yet the graphics are alot poorer than the XBox, the grass and sand is all crap and the water isnt even the same as the XBox version. The onboard graphics will be worse than a proper AGP card. So dont go for it thinking your going to be running Halo at full resolution with all the effects because a) it cant do all of the effects and b) its an out of date chip set. If your going to be using the computer for mainly surfing the net, school work or whatever then onboard graphics will be ok, but as soon as you ask it to run a game forget about it.
Thu 02/10/03 at 18:31
I'm sure it's the MX400, and it does use 128MB - but of shared memory, so it's whatever memory you have in your system minus 128 (ish).
Thu 02/10/03 at 18:14
Regular
"" I Hope This Works"
I thought the mx 420 was only 64mb the one i was looking at was 128mb ddr or is the mx 420 also 128
Tue 30/09/03 at 19:11
Regular
bottom line of what the rest of the posts are saying is that if you want to play games, don't rely on onboard graphics because it just doesn't stretch far enough...
Sun 28/09/03 at 22:52
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Think most onboard graphics for the nForce 2 are Mx420s and not even as good as a seperate card. If you run 2 lots of DDR RAM i.e in Dual mode then the graphics is improved a little but not much. Basically if you want to play games get a normal motherboard and buy a seperate card say a Geforce 4 Ti or even a nice Radeon depending on money. Only get onboard graphics if you are really only looking for a cheap system where your only wanting to use it for displaying 2D images.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.