GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Superstitious?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/03/07 at 15:35
Regular
Are you the superstitious type?

Walking under a ladder, having a black cat cross your path, spilling some salt, breaking a mirror. Would you avoid doing all these things or is it all superstitious mumbojumbo to you?
Wed 07/03/07 at 15:35
Regular
Are you the superstitious type?

Walking under a ladder, having a black cat cross your path, spilling some salt, breaking a mirror. Would you avoid doing all these things or is it all superstitious mumbojumbo to you?
Wed 07/03/07 at 16:52
"possibly impossible"
The problem is that people do these things without realising the history of why they came about in the first place.

Superstitions can fall under several categories:

Religious Superstition
Started by religious (usually Christian in the west, but not exclusively) groups to discredit other 'pagan' religions or at the least make people wary of them. A good example of this is the Black Cat, considered a popular familiar among witches and often thought to be the animal form of witches themselves. Crossing it may lead to the witch putting a curse on you.

Other religious superstitions are started due to linking with the faith, such as walking under a ladder (originally said to be due to the Gods living in a triangle, then later attributed to the ladder leading up to the Cross of Jesus or defying the holy trinity by walking underneath).

The Catholic Church in paricular was keen to stress, later, that any and all Superstitions are against the teaching of the Church.

Folklore/Old Wives Tales
Outside of mainstream religion, there are superstitions relying on folklore or old wives tales. One such famous example is the breaking of a mirror bringing 7 years bad luck. Mirrors were considered to keep a part of your soul and breaking it would weaken you and bring you bad luck until your body repaired itself (including its soul) in 7 years time.

Keeping menstrating or pregnant women away from milk on farms is another example of a popularly held belief from old wives tales that is still kept up today.
Thu 08/03/07 at 05:41
Regular
pb wrote:
> Religious Superstition
> Started by religious (usually Christian in the west, but not
> exclusively) groups to discredit other 'pagan' religions or at
> the least make people wary of them. A good example of this is
> the Black Cat, considered a popular familiar among witches and
> often thought to be the animal form of witches themselves.
> Crossing it may lead to the witch putting a curse on you.

After my ex broke into my house, I was told by a domestic violence advocate to burn sage around my house to purify my home. I think she was a witch..but then, it is a Feng Shui ritual as well. The dv gal also mentioned that black cats are good luck to have, especially for single women, because they ward off evil. I found this to be true in the Japanese culture as well, with Maneki Neko. You see these figurines in almost every business in Hawaii.

So, I burned sage and got a black cat named Merlin. But then, all guys stopped coming around. Hm..go figure.
Thu 08/03/07 at 05:55
Regular
"Monochromatic"
After much thought, study and reflection, i have come to the conclusion thats it a load of old bo**ocks.
I make a point of walking under ladders, providing there isn't some fat guy using it. But then, i havent exactly had the best of luck.
OMG it's all true! I must adapt or die.
Here's a tip for you. Dont f**k swans, superstition says you may end up a small locked cell, for some unknown reason.

I have absolutely no idea where that came from.
Thu 08/03/07 at 10:31
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Most of my family have superstitions and when I was younger I believed them but as I've grown older I've lost them.

One that I remember was putting a lump of coal outside and hiding a 10p coin underneath it on new years eve and just after 12 on new years day you would fetch it in and have good luck for the rest of the year.

I also used to be wary of the number 13 and Friday the 13th (the day when Christ is said to have been crucified) but you learn that it's not a day where you are more unlucky than others.

I always get confused over black cats, I thought that if one crossed your path it was lucky but people say it's unlucky.

I don't tend to walk under ladders but not because it's unlucky more of a case of something might fall on my head!
Thu 08/03/07 at 14:51
"possibly impossible"
Smedlos wrote:

>
> I also used to be wary of the number 13 and Friday the 13th (the
> day when Christ is said to have been crucified) but you learn
> that it's not a day where you are more unlucky than others.

It's just the Friday part for the crucifixion, the 13 relates to Judas.

My mother is half Irish, so superstitions were a way of life for us too. Not crossing on the stairs, no laughing over dinner, throwing salt over shoulders.

Sounds more like the after-effects of pot smoking to me...
Fri 09/03/07 at 09:40
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
Ladybird wrote:
> But then, all guys stopped coming around. Hm..go figure.

I just had three kids, seems to have the same effect.
Fri 09/03/07 at 09:41
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
When i was younger i wouldnt do all the walking under ladders thing. Id freak out if id break a mirror etc...

Things like that dont bother me at all now tho. I just dont think it matters.
Fri 09/03/07 at 09:44
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Seraphim wrote:
> Ladybird wrote:
> But then, all guys stopped coming around. Hm..go figure.
>
>
> I just had three kids, seems to have the same effect.

Hahaha
Poor Vee
* Huggles *
Fri 09/03/07 at 13:20
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
In general life i'm not very superstitious but in sports i kind of go overboard with them.
Back in my high school days i'd have a ton for basketball, things like getting changed in the same spot in the locker room, always slapping the board above the gym door with the school logo on it, never going into the gym with my sneakers on, putting my sneakers on in the same spot of the gym and never cutting my hair during basketball season (the one time i did i ended up blowing out both my knees so that one's true :-D)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.