GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Superstitious?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/03/07 at 15:35
Regular
Are you the superstitious type?

Walking under a ladder, having a black cat cross your path, spilling some salt, breaking a mirror. Would you avoid doing all these things or is it all superstitious mumbojumbo to you?
Wed 28/03/07 at 22:30
Regular
I believe being superstitious is bad luck.

Actually, Phil Gordon believes being superstitious is bad luck.

Or at least he says he does in his book.

I had slipped into a couple of superstitions a little while ago. I had also started to allow chance to 'pursuade' me into some decisions - little things that hinted at one course of action.

But I had a go at the 'do something every day that scares you', which pretty quickly got watered down to doing something every day that takes you out of your comfort zone, and all that trash was easy targets for the day's quota.

I think it's more about habit than belief. Once you break the pattern of behaviour all that trash falls away.
Wed 28/03/07 at 15:48
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I don't know. Do feel uncomfortable travelling over railway lines without my feet both being in the air.

Odd, but it's actually appearing to make me luckier...
Tue 13/03/07 at 13:28
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
A few months back I was at a work do, my friend and I went to the toilet and on the way down some woman passed us on the stairs and said 'You should never pass on the stairs, you won't ever get married'

What's that all about? Maybe it is true! I'll let you know in 40 years!
Tue 13/03/07 at 06:48
Regular
Seraphim wrote:
> Ladybird wrote:
> But then, all guys stopped coming around. Hm..go figure.
>
>
> I just had three kids, seems to have the same effect.

lol I hear ya. :P
Mon 12/03/07 at 16:07
Regular
"lets go back"
I wouldnt walk under a ladder incase someone dropped a tin of paint on me. I wouldnt want a black cat to cross my path if it was dark because I wouldnt see it and might trip over it. Spilling salt is just messy and best avoided. I wouldnt want to break a mirror because I might cut myself.

I dont believe in superstition at all.

Edit:- I do think that certain objects that are used as "lucky charms" can have a psychological effect such as wearing some lucky football boots makes you have more confidence in a football game and you may end up doing better but I dont think the boots physically do anything to bring luck.
Fri 09/03/07 at 13:20
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
In general life i'm not very superstitious but in sports i kind of go overboard with them.
Back in my high school days i'd have a ton for basketball, things like getting changed in the same spot in the locker room, always slapping the board above the gym door with the school logo on it, never going into the gym with my sneakers on, putting my sneakers on in the same spot of the gym and never cutting my hair during basketball season (the one time i did i ended up blowing out both my knees so that one's true :-D)
Fri 09/03/07 at 09:44
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Seraphim wrote:
> Ladybird wrote:
>
>
> I just had three kids, seems to have the same effect.

Hahaha
Poor Vee
* Huggles *
Fri 09/03/07 at 09:41
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
When i was younger i wouldnt do all the walking under ladders thing. Id freak out if id break a mirror etc...

Things like that dont bother me at all now tho. I just dont think it matters.
Fri 09/03/07 at 09:40
Regular
"AkaSeraphim"
Ladybird wrote:

I just had three kids, seems to have the same effect.
Thu 08/03/07 at 14:51
"possibly impossible"
Smedlos wrote:

>
> I also used to be wary of the number 13 and Friday the 13th (the
> day when Christ is said to have been crucified) but you learn
> that it's not a day where you are more unlucky than others.

It's just the Friday part for the crucifixion, the 13 relates to Judas.

My mother is half Irish, so superstitions were a way of life for us too. Not crossing on the stairs, no laughing over dinner, throwing salt over shoulders.

Sounds more like the after-effects of pot smoking to me...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.