GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Difficulty, a thing of the past?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Freedom Fighters'.
Thu 02/10/03 at 17:05
Regular
Just posting in-between bashes on Freedom Fighters and its good news for those who like a challenge. Not only is Freedom Fighters one of the best games of recent times but it is also one of the most challenging. Instead of just blasting your way through each area you are forced to really plan your actions out and so far its working superbly.

Most of the games today I seem to breeze through on all difficulty settings thusthe value of the game is shortened dramatically. In the end Conflict Desert Storm turned out a little easy as it seemed that the squad members were just too powerful for their own good. By simply placing them in set positions they would eliminate the enemy whilst I just glided my way through picking the odd ones off. It sounds like a dream come true and a true squad based combat game however I didn't really feel the satisfaction of completing a chellenging mission which encompassed many different styles of play.

With Freedom Fighters you can only clear so many troops up on your own (maybe 5-6 in a base camp or built up area) and then after that the snipers and heavy machine gunners jump in leaving you fackared. Using simple squad controls to each individual (i.e guard this area) you can make sure that your comrades will stick to that spot and provide covering fire. Not only will they stick to the spot but they also duck behind things and only raise every so often. So far so Conflict Desert Storm, minus the awful enemy AI. So where does the difficulty step in?

The ammo limitations are very harsh and you need to conserve and plan ahead for big base take overs or for clearing particular areas. It sounds easy when you say it but as things quickly start to heat up and you realise you have just wasted 45 rounds you really are left out in the open. Instead of borrowing ammo of your allies (ala CDS) you have to save it and think in the first place. When you get the ammo its an on going battle to keep at least 30 rounds in the assault rifle and 20 in the hand gun. When you get enemies that are as tight as Rick Wallers pant line coupled with ammo problems and a sniper on your back it really does kick your brain into action and it makes you think about what to do next (ala Hitman 2).

The enemy AI is awesome, awesome in the sense that they duck behind objects, provide covering fire and slowly advance on your position in dribs and drabs. The duck as they move and when fired at head for immediate cover behind objects. You can hear them shouting at each other to move up and provide covering fire but instead of it just being a fancy audio file they do actually work as a tight unit prepared for anything that will come their way.

The point of this post? Well its just a little rant about Freedom Fighters and how the game is so damn difficult (without being frustrating) that every time you die you won't want to turn your Xbox (PS2 or GameCube respectively) as you are always thinking about a way around the situation. Games these days rarely provide this level of satisfaction and its rare to come across a game which is utterly absorbing whilst being highly challenging at the same time.

In short, pick this game up because its bloody amazing. This is a game that I have wanted in my mind for years and its finally arrived. I would go as far as saying the future of squad based combat is right here.

Genius!
Thu 02/10/03 at 17:05
Regular
Just posting in-between bashes on Freedom Fighters and its good news for those who like a challenge. Not only is Freedom Fighters one of the best games of recent times but it is also one of the most challenging. Instead of just blasting your way through each area you are forced to really plan your actions out and so far its working superbly.

Most of the games today I seem to breeze through on all difficulty settings thusthe value of the game is shortened dramatically. In the end Conflict Desert Storm turned out a little easy as it seemed that the squad members were just too powerful for their own good. By simply placing them in set positions they would eliminate the enemy whilst I just glided my way through picking the odd ones off. It sounds like a dream come true and a true squad based combat game however I didn't really feel the satisfaction of completing a chellenging mission which encompassed many different styles of play.

With Freedom Fighters you can only clear so many troops up on your own (maybe 5-6 in a base camp or built up area) and then after that the snipers and heavy machine gunners jump in leaving you fackared. Using simple squad controls to each individual (i.e guard this area) you can make sure that your comrades will stick to that spot and provide covering fire. Not only will they stick to the spot but they also duck behind things and only raise every so often. So far so Conflict Desert Storm, minus the awful enemy AI. So where does the difficulty step in?

The ammo limitations are very harsh and you need to conserve and plan ahead for big base take overs or for clearing particular areas. It sounds easy when you say it but as things quickly start to heat up and you realise you have just wasted 45 rounds you really are left out in the open. Instead of borrowing ammo of your allies (ala CDS) you have to save it and think in the first place. When you get the ammo its an on going battle to keep at least 30 rounds in the assault rifle and 20 in the hand gun. When you get enemies that are as tight as Rick Wallers pant line coupled with ammo problems and a sniper on your back it really does kick your brain into action and it makes you think about what to do next (ala Hitman 2).

The enemy AI is awesome, awesome in the sense that they duck behind objects, provide covering fire and slowly advance on your position in dribs and drabs. The duck as they move and when fired at head for immediate cover behind objects. You can hear them shouting at each other to move up and provide covering fire but instead of it just being a fancy audio file they do actually work as a tight unit prepared for anything that will come their way.

The point of this post? Well its just a little rant about Freedom Fighters and how the game is so damn difficult (without being frustrating) that every time you die you won't want to turn your Xbox (PS2 or GameCube respectively) as you are always thinking about a way around the situation. Games these days rarely provide this level of satisfaction and its rare to come across a game which is utterly absorbing whilst being highly challenging at the same time.

In short, pick this game up because its bloody amazing. This is a game that I have wanted in my mind for years and its finally arrived. I would go as far as saying the future of squad based combat is right here.

Genius!
Thu 02/10/03 at 20:59
Regular
"\\"
I would have never picked up this game and looked interested. I might just buy it now.
Thu 02/10/03 at 21:04
Regular
IO Interactive have hit onto something very special with this Glacier game engine which they have used since the first Hitman game. The improvements made to it since then have been fantastic. I will be awaiting their every release as the quality of the products they develop is of an unusually high standard for a company developing games for multiple formats.

I think its one of the first games to score 9.0 or above on Gamespot which either:

a) Isn't one of the Sega 2K sports titles.

b) A game developed for 4 platforms.

Freedom Fighters is truly a magnificent game. Remember the musical score from Hitman 2? This ones better.
Thu 02/10/03 at 23:08
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:

> Freedom Fighters is truly a magnificent game. Remember the musical
> score from Hitman 2? This ones better.

The demo music was excellent, until it went all techno. The booming Russian anthems sound like they've been lifted straight out of Hitman 2 though which is good.

One thing I don't understand is the apparent lack of gore. After the blood smeared mess that was Hitman 2, I at least expected a bit of crimson and also guards that didn't vanish after you shot them.

Still, other than these few niggles I'll definetly be picking it up soon.
Fri 03/10/03 at 00:14
Regular
"Remember me?"
The thing I like most about the game (or the demo at least) is the superb atmosphere. When I was playing it, the rants of "cover me" and suchlike from your freedom fighters and the enemy along with the amazing soundtrack and ambient gunfire and explosions made it so much more enjoyable than most shoot-em-ups I've played.
Fri 03/10/03 at 14:06
Regular
"8==="
A few games which are difficult in my opinion:

Halo -Legendary. 'nuff said.

Time Splitters 2 - on top difficulty

Hitman 2 - Trying to get the proper SA rating

C:DS and C:DS 2 - With 4 human players and no clever AI teammates, also I have yet to try it with out autoaim on but that will no doubt make it more difficult.

Baldur's Gate - Fairly tough in one player on normal put it on 2 player and normal difficulty and it gets damn tricky.

Ghost Recon - Ramp up the difficulty.

MX Superfly - Simply hard (fullstop).

The Super Monkey Balls.

Resident Evil - Mabye I'm just crap at it?

Burnout - Trying to get the top times on tracks with random traffic? ARGH! :D

Robot Wars - Lose a match and it's back to the start just like the real thing.

MoH - Hard on top difficulty but not in a satisfying way.

Phantom Crash - Those damn expert arena champion people!

There are more but I've yet to try them on their full difficulty, I expect Unreal, Die Hard: Vendetta, MGS2, Bloodwake, RTCW, Brute Force, Rallisport Challenge, Serious Sam, RAW2, Turok 4, Mechassault etc etc. Are all pretty difficult on their higher difficulties.
Fri 03/10/03 at 17:51
Regular
Ali has just sold that game to me through this post.

I want it.

Now.
Fri 03/10/03 at 18:26
Regular
"Touched!"
bloody hell, i tried out the demo and i'm loving it! may even swap Raw 2 for this, i am well shocked - i need to play more demo's in future..now time for RS3
Sat 04/10/03 at 19:24
Regular
gamezfreak wrote:
> Ali has just sold that game to me through this post.
>
> I want it.
>
> Now.

Same here, although the lack of Xbox (and money to buy one) sets me back a bit. :-)

Still, there's sure to be a few price cuts round the corner, and then the second hand deals will get even better! :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.