GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola's web forwarding - 301 only works for 'www' URL"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/04/10 at 17:41
"Are you sure?"
Freeola web forwarding and 'pointing' options...

There are a few different options within MyFreeola to setup 'web forwarding'.

In the past I've often used the option to 'point a domain to another existing domain' - knowing this isn't implemented using a 301 (Permanently Moved) redirect.

Where it's been important to get a 301 I've always requested separate hosting and setup my own 301 using .htaccess.

I'm in the process of setting up a new site where 4 domain names have been registered and all need to display the same content. I requested hosting for the URL that was to become the main address and used the simple option to 'point' all the other domains to this one.

Unfortunately I've noticed that Google had found and indexed one of the other domains rather than the main address. The address that had become indexed was the non-www version.

As Freeola has recently(ish) implemented additional 'forwarding' options I thought I would give them a try. I used the 301 option:

Non-framed web forwarding
mydomain.com addresses will simply forward on and the destination URL will show in the address bar of the visitor's browser. This is a 301 permanently moved redirect, which will ensure that search engines update their database with the new link.

This worked fine when using www for the URL, unfortunately the non-www (indexed in Google) version gave a standard Freeola 404 page!

So I've had to go my normal route of setting up separate hosting and putting my own 301 in place that works for www and non-www addresses.

Perhaps Freeola could look at improving this as it would save (me) a lot of trouble and would help all customers on the Search Engine front?

Thanks.
Sorry if I've rambled on! :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Tue 13/04/10 at 09:51
"Are you sure?"
Morning.
I found another address to test it on :¬)

This time both versions (with and without www) 404'd for about 1 hour 15 minutes - then everything started 301'ing fine.

I've only been used to my manual 301s which work immediately so it might be worth changing the '5 minute wait' message to an 'hour or so'?

Thanks again.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 12/04/10 at 22:39
Regular
"How Ironic"
There is a Bob on this forum! Wow! So honoured :D

Sorry; you may continue ;D
Mon 12/04/10 at 18:17
"Are you sure?"
Will do - I'll have to try to test it out again with a non-live site.

Strange that the 301 for the www version took effect immediately - but if you are happy that it's working for other users that sounds promising.

Thanks.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 12/04/10 at 18:14
Regular
I've had a look at some other users who are using this function and it's working fine on their accounts. I think in your case it may just have been a DNS caching issue which would have resolved within an hour but I cannot be sure without having it setup on your account.

If you'd like me to look into this further for you please set one of your addresses up to forward again and then post back here or contact support and ask them to pass a message through.
Sat 10/04/10 at 17:41
"Are you sure?"
Freeola web forwarding and 'pointing' options...

There are a few different options within MyFreeola to setup 'web forwarding'.

In the past I've often used the option to 'point a domain to another existing domain' - knowing this isn't implemented using a 301 (Permanently Moved) redirect.

Where it's been important to get a 301 I've always requested separate hosting and setup my own 301 using .htaccess.

I'm in the process of setting up a new site where 4 domain names have been registered and all need to display the same content. I requested hosting for the URL that was to become the main address and used the simple option to 'point' all the other domains to this one.

Unfortunately I've noticed that Google had found and indexed one of the other domains rather than the main address. The address that had become indexed was the non-www version.

As Freeola has recently(ish) implemented additional 'forwarding' options I thought I would give them a try. I used the 301 option:

Non-framed web forwarding
mydomain.com addresses will simply forward on and the destination URL will show in the address bar of the visitor's browser. This is a 301 permanently moved redirect, which will ensure that search engines update their database with the new link.

This worked fine when using www for the URL, unfortunately the non-www (indexed in Google) version gave a standard Freeola 404 page!

So I've had to go my normal route of setting up separate hosting and putting my own 301 in place that works for www and non-www addresses.

Perhaps Freeola could look at improving this as it would save (me) a lot of trouble and would help all customers on the Search Engine front?

Thanks.
Sorry if I've rambled on! :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.