GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MGS rules..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Metal Gear Solid 2 : Substance'.
Sat 04/10/03 at 13:07
Regular
"\\"
I came down stairs to take a rest while the sun moves a bit (it shines directly onto my head at about 12 o clock) and now i'm going to start on disc 2.

This game truly rules.
Mon 27/10/03 at 10:17
Regular
"\\"
Well this is fun. I'm 15 hours into MGS 2... Although i'm guessing it shouldn't take that long but ahwell.

I'm up to fighting all those metal gear RAYs which is hard.

This game is so cool... I don't care half the game is just movie, that's kinda what i wanted.

Must get back to it!
Fri 10/10/03 at 20:35
Regular
"\\"
Also because of this it has to be set like 40 years before MGS1 therefore probably having nothing to do with them or even Solid/Liquid... and the other one... i think. From what i gathered from the ending of MGS1 there is another one.
Fri 10/10/03 at 20:32
Regular
"\\"
I heard from somewhere you are in control of Big Boss (snakes "dad" if you're REALLY struggling) and that in order to live through out the game you must eat snakes, hence the name "snake eater". Although i dunno.
Thu 09/10/03 at 21:51
Regular
Being a pretty big Metal Gear fan it worked very well with fitting in withe first game providing you follow it closely. I think Konami realised it was a mistake mixing Raiden in with the story and tying it away from Snake. Metal Gear 3 is going to have to fit in with the story a little however seeing as you are in control of one of Snake's genetic brothers it won't have to tie completely to both games however it will need to run closely with the first Metal Gear.
Thu 09/10/03 at 16:50
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
The storyline is good, but it does involve a lot of repitition of things from the first game. There is a reason for this, but I can't tell you without spoiling it.

Personally I think they made a bad move by doing that. It's the game you're buying, not the storyline. Sure, the storyline is a major part, but to make a lot of the game very similar to another so it's fits in with a storyline isn't the brightest idea ever.
Wed 08/10/03 at 21:55
Regular
Its not crap, anyone who says so is being silly. The opening area on the ship is one of the most impressive you will ever see. The direction, voice acting, graphical animations, in fact make that everything about the opening area is seriously mind blowing. From then on the game goes downhill but never hits a rock bottom like so many actually stated in the various reviews.

After that everything takes place on a huge oil rig in the sea and this is where Raiden (whom I dispise greatly) takes over. Snakes position and location I won't say as I can't do without throwing in some massive spoilers.

Overall is an 8/10 games with some 9-9.5./10 elements thrown in and amongst some repetitive and mundane sections. From and audio/visual side you will struggle to find critisisms (especially the former) and even to this date it holds up well from a technical point of view.

The gameplay side is debateable, I prefer it to Splinter Cell but only because I am a sucker for great gaming characters and in this case Solid Snake prevails. Yes you may not control him throughout but you will be in for some awesome sections later on, just wait and see...

Overall for me it is an essential purchase however you could get someone who comes along and counters everything I have just said and mark it down as a must avoid game.

I will leave it down to you and how much you love the first one to see whether or not you feel the second is worth the purchase.
Wed 08/10/03 at 21:35
Regular
"\\"
But i need to know what happens. And just being told in a few short sentences doesn't have quite the same effect as an 8 hour suspense (or how ever long it will take me the first time, and probably last cos from what i've played it's crap)
Wed 08/10/03 at 16:24
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
If you're in it for the storyline, then don't get MGS2. Much of the things you have to do are exactly like thos in MGS1. For instance, in one of the set pieces, you have to go back and get a sniper rifle to get past a certain section. And it's mostly on an oil rig, meaning most of the game looks exactly like the last bit.
Tue 07/10/03 at 22:16
Regular
ßora† SagdiyeV wrote:
> MGS looks like a pile of puke after sons of liberty

Yes it does look a pile of puke but it plays infinitley better.
Tue 07/10/03 at 18:39
Regular
"\\"
I've played MGS2 before. I thought it was complete toss. I'm just a storyline freak and i need to know what happens.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.