GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Levelling Up"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/10/03 at 22:41
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'm a great fan of levelling things up. Whether it be powering up weapons in Final Fantasy VII, distributing new stats for my characters on Diablo II, going around a Sphere Grid in Final Fantasy X a few times or simply building up cash in Gran Turismo to spend on upgrades, all of these types of gameplay appeal.

Which is why Dark Chronicle is getting more and more appealing by the hour. When I first started playing it, it was just the weapons that needed doing. There were only two basic types: Wrenches and Guns for Max. Then I discovered that each weapon had its own design tree so that when it reached a certain level, you could change a weapon into two or more designs and continue levelling them up down their individual paths. I've currently got 8 wrenches and 6 guns undergoing various additions.

Then came the camera. Even your photography level levels up, so I'm becoming quite the snapper around Balance Valley and Sindaine, and I'm only on Chapter 3.

Not to mention Monica's armbands and swords, which have the same sort of design trees as Max's weapons.

Plus Steve of course, he constantly needs new upgrades, so I'm always collecing EXP for him as well.

Then I got a fishing rod from a Firbit. Not only can I level up the fishing rod, I can level up the fish I catch by breeding them in the aquarium that I invented.

Then came the fact that I could move people from one town to another via the train, using their skills as I went to help me level up my weapons, Steve and my fishing rod.

Then I got a monster badge. These can be levelled up too, and again there are different paths you can go down when developing each of your different monsters.

I've only just clicked that each of the dungeons have a second of 3 or more tasks assigned to them marked with ??? until I unlock the Spheda mini-golf game, so I'll be going back through them so I can continue my medal collection in an attempt to unlock that rumoured bikini for Monica later on.

The completist in me wants to collect all the Scoops, get all the medals, recruit all the NPCs to my party, level up all the weapons, level up all the monsters, level up all the fishing rods, build all the Carpenterion parts, get all the add-ons for Steve, get a hole in one on every dungeon, acquire all the costumes, win all the fish races, defeat all the opponents in the fishing competitions, collect every photograph and build all the inventions, oh and finish the storyline, but I don't think one human life-time is enough.

And Final Fantasy X-2 is coming out shortly...

Damn.
Tue 07/10/03 at 17:38
Regular
"And some more !"
i woz thinking of buying this game but i dont know if it is really worth getting or not
help

i might get it 2morrow if i get some good reviews from people
Tue 07/10/03 at 10:59
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I have to agree that i have never enjoyed the leveling up part in a game as much as i did in FFX, or any other FF game for that matter. There was always something satisfying about going back to those enemies in the game that you could barely kill, and then whe you go back later, one fellow swoop with you sword was enough to slay the beast.

Same with GT3. I used to spend hours doing one race over and over to save the money up for a top car that i really wanted. There was always something good about finally getting the money for it. However, after a days racing i once made the mistake of saving up all this money, then going straight to buy the car, and not saving before hand...to then find out the car was utter utter tripe.

And i never got half the cash back for selling it. :(
Mon 06/10/03 at 22:17
"period drama"
Wilson wrote:
> I might be getting Dark Cronicle, isn't it platinum now?

No.
It was only released about a month ago.

Maybe you're thinking of Dark Cloud (the original) which was released way back when. Although don't get that, because it wasn't very good.
Mon 06/10/03 at 10:59
"For the horde!!!!"
Wilson wrote:
> When does Everquest come out? is that when you stop playing every
> other game ;)

It's when you stop everything lol

Everquest is indeed the experience treadmill and can absorb you for hours (8 hours in one sitting is my longist).
Sun 05/10/03 at 22:49
Regular
Skies of Arcadia and Knights of the Old Republic are for me the best in the RPG - leveling up genre. Seriously unbeatable. Both worth the admission price of their respective platforms as well.

I am moving onto Final Fantasy X and possibly Dark Chronicle over the coming weeks.

Strange post as I was thinking exactly the same last night.
Sun 05/10/03 at 22:47
Regular
I might be getting Dark Cronicle, isn't it platinum now?

A few of the platinum games are selling for £15 now and i have seen vice city for £19.99.

When does Everquest come out? is that when you stop playing every other game ;)
Sun 05/10/03 at 22:41
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'm a great fan of levelling things up. Whether it be powering up weapons in Final Fantasy VII, distributing new stats for my characters on Diablo II, going around a Sphere Grid in Final Fantasy X a few times or simply building up cash in Gran Turismo to spend on upgrades, all of these types of gameplay appeal.

Which is why Dark Chronicle is getting more and more appealing by the hour. When I first started playing it, it was just the weapons that needed doing. There were only two basic types: Wrenches and Guns for Max. Then I discovered that each weapon had its own design tree so that when it reached a certain level, you could change a weapon into two or more designs and continue levelling them up down their individual paths. I've currently got 8 wrenches and 6 guns undergoing various additions.

Then came the camera. Even your photography level levels up, so I'm becoming quite the snapper around Balance Valley and Sindaine, and I'm only on Chapter 3.

Not to mention Monica's armbands and swords, which have the same sort of design trees as Max's weapons.

Plus Steve of course, he constantly needs new upgrades, so I'm always collecing EXP for him as well.

Then I got a fishing rod from a Firbit. Not only can I level up the fishing rod, I can level up the fish I catch by breeding them in the aquarium that I invented.

Then came the fact that I could move people from one town to another via the train, using their skills as I went to help me level up my weapons, Steve and my fishing rod.

Then I got a monster badge. These can be levelled up too, and again there are different paths you can go down when developing each of your different monsters.

I've only just clicked that each of the dungeons have a second of 3 or more tasks assigned to them marked with ??? until I unlock the Spheda mini-golf game, so I'll be going back through them so I can continue my medal collection in an attempt to unlock that rumoured bikini for Monica later on.

The completist in me wants to collect all the Scoops, get all the medals, recruit all the NPCs to my party, level up all the weapons, level up all the monsters, level up all the fishing rods, build all the Carpenterion parts, get all the add-ons for Steve, get a hole in one on every dungeon, acquire all the costumes, win all the fish races, defeat all the opponents in the fishing competitions, collect every photograph and build all the inventions, oh and finish the storyline, but I don't think one human life-time is enough.

And Final Fantasy X-2 is coming out shortly...

Damn.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.