GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Nation Under Siege"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/09/01 at 19:48
Regular
An Enemy They Can’t See

A Nation Under Siege

A Crisis They Can’t Control

Now you might be thinking right now that I am on about the World Trading Centre and the recent events, but if that were the case then you would be incorrect. The actual current event I am on about is the film, ‘The Siege’. After watching all of the events unravel on national television it all seemed so surreal and absolutely unbelievable and even now, three days after the tragedy, it still seems an impossibility, it all just seems to be either a dream, or more like watching a film.

And all of this made me think of the shocking, moving, memorable and tragic film ‘ The Siege’. Now this might have come at a bad time, but it did all seem very much the same sort of storyline. The film was set in 1998 and followed the storyline of the fight the government had to take to stop the threat of terrorism happening in America.

Starring Denzel Washington, Annette Bening and Bruce Willis this film was a hit at the box office and a bigger hit on video taking film making to a new tense level, which was so realistic it was scary. After the success of ‘Courage Under Fire’ and Glory Edward Zwick directed this movie that may now lead to a bit of controversy.

The Siege is a movie that is technically excellent, performances are very strong and the sense of tension that the movie is able to create is excellent, it is also very emotional and fearful film showing the true meaning or terror-ism. It shows us the true lengths that people are willing to go to too prove a point. And as we have seen recently that is too far.

Arab terrorists threaten New York City with escalating attacks; first a crowded city bus blows up in Brooklyn followed by a campaign of terror, which makes its mark on the streets of New York, each attack is a suicidal attack that leaves the people of New York in fear and terrorised by the events. The message is clear in the film and is ‘That no matter what you do, you can’t stop evil’.

Every dastardly mission they take their own lives to show their true power and beliefs a cell is lost, but replaced in just a matter of seconds, minutes, hours, weeks. Who really knows? But their power does not go unnoticed and after much dispute the army is called in to resolve the situation.

Denzel Washington stars in the film as Anthony Hubbard, the FBI agent that finds himself in the middle of a major city that has suddenly turned into a panic zone through the power of persistence and evil. As the attacks get increasingly worse, the government calls in the Army, who shuts down the entire city and puts it under Martial Law. They're lead by Bruce Willis, who turns in an excellent performance as the Army colonel. He's there to look mean and spout angry dialogue.

Tanks and other army vehicles make their way throughout the streets New York City. The production closed off many of the high-traffic areas of New York to film. The performances are certainly excellent as well; Denzel Washington has a very intense and emotional performance and he's the strongest part of the film.

Annette Bening is also excellent here as a mysterious CIA operative. I found myself just watching individual performances here and not the movie at times. I enjoyed the dialogue between the characters, the various confrontations and performances.

Towards the end, the film doesn't quite know what it wants to be; a political thriller or an action film. The Siege is well done and extremely watch able, performances are very effective and engaging. It also has one of the very best cinematographers in the business as a part of the production, Roger Deakins, who also was the cinematographer for "Fargo".

The film was very powerful and a mix of terror, action and many other emotions. Overall the events which happened in the film, although in not such a terrible way, was a resemblance to the World Trade Centre, an attack on New York, an enemy they can’t see but can see what they can do and a nation under siege.

I wish to apologise to anyone who might take offence in this topic because of how it was wrote or the content involved in it.

The Dogfather
Sun 16/09/01 at 16:51
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Great post Tom.
Sun 16/09/01 at 12:18
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Yeah, I thought about that. I remember talking to my brother about how similar it was and then my dad said it last night.
Sat 15/09/01 at 23:29
Regular
"I am your father"
I enjoyed reading this post and I must say that if does show a very distintive similarity, even though it probally wasn't the first film to show terroism in New York and probally won't be the last. Although this film did show it in a rather different view. A real-life and terrfying view.
Sat 15/09/01 at 15:50
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Yeah, a good review, yet another good post from the dogfarther.
Sat 15/09/01 at 02:13
That's uncanny that, the film and what is happening in America bares an uncanny resemblance! Could the terrorists have got there ideas from a film like this?? I guess that they haven't but it seems rather weird that the terrorist activities in America and this film are so closley linked.

That was a good review Tom, I take it the review space was too short, either that or you wanted a response from the people! Still that was a good review, even if it was not completly intended to be a review!
Fri 14/09/01 at 19:48
Regular
"I am your father"
An Enemy They Can’t See

A Nation Under Siege

A Crisis They Can’t Control

Now you might be thinking right now that I am on about the World Trading Centre and the recent events, but if that were the case then you would be incorrect. The actual current event I am on about is the film, ‘The Siege’. After watching all of the events unravel on national television it all seemed so surreal and absolutely unbelievable and even now, three days after the tragedy, it still seems an impossibility, it all just seems to be either a dream, or more like watching a film.

And all of this made me think of the shocking, moving, memorable and tragic film ‘ The Siege’. Now this might have come at a bad time, but it did all seem very much the same sort of storyline. The film was set in 1998 and followed the storyline of the fight the government had to take to stop the threat of terrorism happening in America.

Starring Denzel Washington, Annette Bening and Bruce Willis this film was a hit at the box office and a bigger hit on video taking film making to a new tense level, which was so realistic it was scary. After the success of ‘Courage Under Fire’ and Glory Edward Zwick directed this movie that may now lead to a bit of controversy.

The Siege is a movie that is technically excellent, performances are very strong and the sense of tension that the movie is able to create is excellent, it is also very emotional and fearful film showing the true meaning or terror-ism. It shows us the true lengths that people are willing to go to too prove a point. And as we have seen recently that is too far.

Arab terrorists threaten New York City with escalating attacks; first a crowded city bus blows up in Brooklyn followed by a campaign of terror, which makes its mark on the streets of New York, each attack is a suicidal attack that leaves the people of New York in fear and terrorised by the events. The message is clear in the film and is ‘That no matter what you do, you can’t stop evil’.

Every dastardly mission they take their own lives to show their true power and beliefs a cell is lost, but replaced in just a matter of seconds, minutes, hours, weeks. Who really knows? But their power does not go unnoticed and after much dispute the army is called in to resolve the situation.

Denzel Washington stars in the film as Anthony Hubbard, the FBI agent that finds himself in the middle of a major city that has suddenly turned into a panic zone through the power of persistence and evil. As the attacks get increasingly worse, the government calls in the Army, who shuts down the entire city and puts it under Martial Law. They're lead by Bruce Willis, who turns in an excellent performance as the Army colonel. He's there to look mean and spout angry dialogue.

Tanks and other army vehicles make their way throughout the streets New York City. The production closed off many of the high-traffic areas of New York to film. The performances are certainly excellent as well; Denzel Washington has a very intense and emotional performance and he's the strongest part of the film.

Annette Bening is also excellent here as a mysterious CIA operative. I found myself just watching individual performances here and not the movie at times. I enjoyed the dialogue between the characters, the various confrontations and performances.

Towards the end, the film doesn't quite know what it wants to be; a political thriller or an action film. The Siege is well done and extremely watch able, performances are very effective and engaging. It also has one of the very best cinematographers in the business as a part of the production, Roger Deakins, who also was the cinematographer for "Fargo".

The film was very powerful and a mix of terror, action and many other emotions. Overall the events which happened in the film, although in not such a terrible way, was a resemblance to the World Trade Centre, an attack on New York, an enemy they can’t see but can see what they can do and a nation under siege.

I wish to apologise to anyone who might take offence in this topic because of how it was wrote or the content involved in it.

The Dogfather

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.