GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half-Life 2 Pre-Release"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half life 2'.
Tue 07/10/03 at 18:24
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
This time I've even checked the others forums first, so if one springs up, it did so while I was typing =P

Wasn't just the source then. As the .nfo says:

| Quote from http://www.planethalflife.com/ : |
| "There were a ton of rumors the past couple days about the |
| existence of a leaked, playable Half-Life 2 beta, but |
| thankfully those stories have been confirmed to be completely |
| false." |
| |
| Well, I hope nobody believed this rumor. Who would actually be |
| good enough to get the source, but forget the game ? |
| |

Full playable beta is out in the open. I'd recommend against anyone posting filenames, sizes, links etc, SR will likely not approve of it as Valve are likely to be fairly heavy handed in dealing with people caught helping file sharers.

In other news, latest speculated release date is April 2004. I'm not usually the most honest of people when it comes to buying every game I play, but this one I'm not even downloading the beta for - not only wanting to support Valve, but also because these guys managed to get enough tools on Valve's systems to get away with these files, and I'm not exactly confident that there's no trojan embedded in the leak. Sure, Valve weren't exactly careful with their handling of the files, but I'm pretty sure they'd have at least a commercial standard firewall running there, which posed no problem to the intruders.

Anyway, what does this mean for Valve now, do we think? I know a lot of people will still buy the final product even after playing this, especially for the multiplayer aspect and needing a unique cd key, but I still think it's a damn shame for them, because there will be lost sales. People said after playing the doom3 alpha that there were too many bugs in doom3 - it's a leaked pre-release...Danger people could write HL2 off with the same though of comments.
Tue 07/10/03 at 18:24
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
This time I've even checked the others forums first, so if one springs up, it did so while I was typing =P

Wasn't just the source then. As the .nfo says:

| Quote from http://www.planethalflife.com/ : |
| "There were a ton of rumors the past couple days about the |
| existence of a leaked, playable Half-Life 2 beta, but |
| thankfully those stories have been confirmed to be completely |
| false." |
| |
| Well, I hope nobody believed this rumor. Who would actually be |
| good enough to get the source, but forget the game ? |
| |

Full playable beta is out in the open. I'd recommend against anyone posting filenames, sizes, links etc, SR will likely not approve of it as Valve are likely to be fairly heavy handed in dealing with people caught helping file sharers.

In other news, latest speculated release date is April 2004. I'm not usually the most honest of people when it comes to buying every game I play, but this one I'm not even downloading the beta for - not only wanting to support Valve, but also because these guys managed to get enough tools on Valve's systems to get away with these files, and I'm not exactly confident that there's no trojan embedded in the leak. Sure, Valve weren't exactly careful with their handling of the files, but I'm pretty sure they'd have at least a commercial standard firewall running there, which posed no problem to the intruders.

Anyway, what does this mean for Valve now, do we think? I know a lot of people will still buy the final product even after playing this, especially for the multiplayer aspect and needing a unique cd key, but I still think it's a damn shame for them, because there will be lost sales. People said after playing the doom3 alpha that there were too many bugs in doom3 - it's a leaked pre-release...Danger people could write HL2 off with the same though of comments.
Tue 07/10/03 at 20:19
Sod. Someone should really give these barstewards a good beating, and get them to do something more prodcutive for the community. Like walll scrubbing or something. Anyway, the game is too much of a "must have" to pass off buying, no matter what.
Wed 08/10/03 at 14:59
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
fiƒi[oV] wrote:
> Full playable beta is out in the open.

That all depends on what you call a full playable beta. This one has practically no enemy AI as the most interesting of it's many (and, of course, expected given the circumstances) bugs. So, basically, you've got a game where the enemies don't move much... and then totally freeze.

Looking at how it leaked, it's the source code mashed with art and maps etc by amateurs who know nothing about the limited number of maps they've got i.e. could be at any point from the game, or work in progress, or first attempts that were dumped.

Granted, you'll get a look at the (unoptomised) graphics, but that's about it. May as well stick with the videos until you get the real thing. Oh how Valve must love being able to use this as an excuse to delay the game further!
Wed 08/10/03 at 17:15
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Hope you won't mind the fact that the full game isn't out until April (Was to be November, but it was changed), because of hackers stealing the codes required for the game...
Wed 08/10/03 at 18:02
Regular
Those god damn gits.
Wed 08/10/03 at 18:12
Regular
To be honest - The source code 'stealing' only plays a slight role in why they've delayed it for so long.

Its just Valve's way of telling us 'the game aint finished yet'.

Although it could of been out earlier if it wasn't for those idiots >:(
Wed 08/10/03 at 19:14
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Der Nazi wrote:
> Hope you won't mind the fact that the full game isn't out until April
> (Was to be November, but it was changed), because of hackers stealing
> the codes required for the game...

That's absolute tosh - there is no way the game was delayed for six months due to a security leak. You think it takes six months to modify CD checking facilities that everyone knows will be cracked again hours after the real release? Ditto the on-line security, which has very little to do with the game's own source as Value intend to manage that through an updated Steam anyway.

Handy wee excuse through - bet you the Valve boys were feeling very silly after coming out with a release date so late because, according to them, they weren't going to announce a date until they were certain of meeting it.

Duke Nukem Forever anyone?
Thu 09/10/03 at 16:22
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
I think that there was no way Valve was going to make the 30th September date, and they knew it, but right now I reckon they are in a "Sh*t we've messed around so long that we can't get this out for Christmas but we need to keep people's attention any way we can or we're doomed sales wise".

They needed to get this out for Christmas to maximise sales, Sure. there piles of people who'll buy it anytime, but Christmas is the time of highest sales.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.