GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"world trade center and video games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 14/09/01 at 15:27
Regular
Hi all,

I'm getting a flight back home from Canada tonight, even though 10 more hijackers have been arrested, so wish me luck.

I don't want to start a big argument about violence in videogames again, but I saw something very interesting on the TV here this morning.

An interview took place with some preschool kids about the attack on the world trade center. The kids thought that seeing the plane hit the WTC was "Cool". Parents are again blaming video games and movies for numbing childrens sensitivity towards real violence, and in this instance I have to agree. I'm not saying that we're all going to start hijacking planes, I'm just getting the point across that it can clearly be seen that violence in games and movies has had a subtle affect on children.

It wasn't until the parents explained that there were "moms and dads in the planes and the WTC" that the kids became scared.

What kind of society are we turning into ?

Thanks for reading.

Comments ? (sensible ones please).

kevd
Fri 14/09/01 at 19:32
Regular
"Mm reprocessed meat"
You can't expect really young kids to understand the concept of death, let alone the number of deaths in the WTC. It is very hard for children to conceptualise what they see.
Fri 14/09/01 at 17:49
Regular
This is my post from the Sony forum concerning the release of MGS2 in the west, my view stands the same in this topic.

We cannot bow down to terorism in any way. It may be a touchy situation at the moment, but the game was in development far longer than the event, and no one could have anticipated the attack which took place on Tuesday.

With the news community drawing it;s attention to the ability of people to learn to fly from flight simulators, there will surely be more to follow from the group who is trying to sue the games industry for corrupting today's youth.

The fact of the matter that the games industry is merely an entertainment industry, it is not a terrorist community and it is not a teaching community, it provides a form of entertainment. If people are not entertained by computer games, their is no force in our free democratic societies to force them to play the games. If people feel they will be effected by a game other than in a way which they are being entertained, then it is their personl choice whether they buy it or not. The whole point I am getting at here is our personal freedom.

The whole reason behind the attacks in America was against the personal freedom of the people who live in the modern democratic world. We can follow any religion we chose, we can be entertained in any way we chose, we can learn anything we chose, and we can chose not to let terrorism kill our freedoms and our societies. The very reason that these terrorists were able to learn to fly planes and board the aircrafts is because of our free society. Our society however is constrained by laws putin place by our democratic gavernments to protect the people living in the nation.

Games do not make people terrorists, guns do not make people terrorists, planes do not make people terrorists, religion does not make people terrorists, people make themselves terrorists, it is our laws that make terrorism illegal, it is our freedom which makes us targets and it is our freedom which we should protect without reservation.
Fri 14/09/01 at 17:46
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
By the sounds of it the kids were too young to understand what was actually going on.
Fri 14/09/01 at 15:36
"I hate that!!!"
I think they need to be brought up better that's all.
Fri 14/09/01 at 15:33
Regular
They might've said it looked cool, but I might've done when I was younger.

They'll grow up and begin to rather than seeing the impressive explosion, to think of all the people who died horribly as a result.

It's not so much video games influence as maturity.
Fri 14/09/01 at 15:27
Hi all,

I'm getting a flight back home from Canada tonight, even though 10 more hijackers have been arrested, so wish me luck.

I don't want to start a big argument about violence in videogames again, but I saw something very interesting on the TV here this morning.

An interview took place with some preschool kids about the attack on the world trade center. The kids thought that seeing the plane hit the WTC was "Cool". Parents are again blaming video games and movies for numbing childrens sensitivity towards real violence, and in this instance I have to agree. I'm not saying that we're all going to start hijacking planes, I'm just getting the point across that it can clearly be seen that violence in games and movies has had a subtle affect on children.

It wasn't until the parents explained that there were "moms and dads in the planes and the WTC" that the kids became scared.

What kind of society are we turning into ?

Thanks for reading.

Comments ? (sensible ones please).

kevd

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.