GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life 2 Code theft"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half Life 2'.
Fri 10/10/03 at 15:26
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Just some news I've received from someone in the industry.

The source code theft is a reality. The Counterstrike and team fortress code was in there too, so massive portions will have to be rewritten to stop multiplayer chating. Its not a clever ploy by Valve to delay the game further. E3 levels are floating around, but are not lightmapped in any way and apparantly it looks very poor.

The thief has threatened to release a pre gold version tomorrow, but with Value threatening to nuke and site that hosts it, it will not be around for any length of time.

Now the good news.

After viewing the existing build, its apparent that Valve would not have made the 28th September deadline anyway, and the delay will allow them to polish the game further.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather play a finished product (a la Thief 2) rather that a rushed product just to hit a deadline (a la Thief 1).

Remember, Half Life 1 was released 4 - 5 years AFTER it had first been announced.

Patience people, patience.
Sat 11/10/03 at 14:28
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Pandemonium wrote:
> Just some news I've received from someone in the industry.
> The source code theft is a reality.

Did it really take an "industry" insider to tell you that. There's been ingame shots and published portions of the code available for days to verify this. You could find steel industry workers who could have confirmed this days ago.

> The Counterstrike and team
> fortress code was in there too, so massive portions will have to be
> rewritten to stop multiplayer chating.

Nonsense. The multiplayer security was to be handled through Steam. The fact that the early builds of Steam aren't very secure is neither here nor there - it's a later build of Steam that'll be used to handle all on-line aspects of the game, including security.

Also, these sorts of things are ALWAYS compromised, regardless of how early people get their hands on the code - that's why patches exist. Patches that take a mater of days to construct after identifying the problems, not six plus months. The quickest and most effective way of ironing out security problems is to release the game, see what people do and then close the holes.

> Its not a clever ploy by Valve
> to delay the game further. E3 levels are floating around, but are not
> lightmapped in any way and apparantly it looks very poor.

Have you seen any shots? Look pretty damn good to me. There is also a large amount of stuff beyond what was shown at E3. Pretty much all that is out there is a graphical showcase - it's far from complete, but gives you an idea of how great the game will look after being completed and optomised.

> The thief has threatened to release a pre gold version tomorrow, but
> with Value threatening to nuke and site that hosts it, it will not be
> around for any length of time.

Snarf snarf! Seriously now, come on! A pre-gold version would be a total joke anyway as the people who have the code have absolutely no idea of what it is they've got. There's a few randomly grabbed level designs that could be at any stage of completion and in any order. You will not see anything like the intended final game. The enemy AI is also not really there, either because Valve haven't finished it or the person simply didn't get it. As that was such a major reason for the original's success, you've got to ask yourself what sort of game they'll release with enemies who run a few steps and then totally freeze.

With regards Valve's intentions to "nuke" the site. Now that is funny. You thing that'll stop anything getting out? Not a hope. If someone wants to release their own shoddy build of the game they will and there isn't anything Valve can do about it now.

> Remember, Half Life 1 was released 4 - 5 years AFTER it had first
> been announced.

Gabe Newell said himself that while HL2 has been in development pretty much since the original was finished, they didn't want to announce a release date until they were sure of hitting it. If you think this whole fuss is about anything other than providing an excuse for delays that would have had to have been made anyway then you're very, very misguided.
Fri 10/10/03 at 17:01
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Nah, you forgot the intro and the music for Thief 2.
Classic.
Fri 10/10/03 at 15:37
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
I felt it was more of a linear maze game.

Thief 2 expanded on the original engine, and with the benefit of excellent level design that was possible due to the basic engine being already in place, it raised the game into a masterpiece. The overall storyline was lightyears ahead too.

Don't get me wrong, Thief was good, but The Metal Age had me hooked for weeks exploring all the avenues.

"Praise Karras"

"He poured his childrens eyes from glass, and hammered their bodies from the forge"

Oh, keep an eye out for Thief 3. Fully living city, non level based structure, and the unreal 2 engine. Warren Spector is sadly gone, but the majority of the team are still there. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Cant wait.

rightyho. Off home. Have a good one all.
Fri 10/10/03 at 15:32
What are you talking about?

Thief was awesome!

"The hammer of righteousness shall slay thee!!!!"
Fri 10/10/03 at 15:30
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
"cheating" not chatting. That would be silly.............

Sorry, in a rush to get home.
Fri 10/10/03 at 15:26
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Just some news I've received from someone in the industry.

The source code theft is a reality. The Counterstrike and team fortress code was in there too, so massive portions will have to be rewritten to stop multiplayer chating. Its not a clever ploy by Valve to delay the game further. E3 levels are floating around, but are not lightmapped in any way and apparantly it looks very poor.

The thief has threatened to release a pre gold version tomorrow, but with Value threatening to nuke and site that hosts it, it will not be around for any length of time.

Now the good news.

After viewing the existing build, its apparent that Valve would not have made the 28th September deadline anyway, and the delay will allow them to polish the game further.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather play a finished product (a la Thief 2) rather that a rushed product just to hit a deadline (a la Thief 1).

Remember, Half Life 1 was released 4 - 5 years AFTER it had first been announced.

Patience people, patience.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.