GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help Me! Halo FPS probs!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo'.
Fri 10/10/03 at 17:55
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
And by FPS I mean frames per second.

Got the video settings cranked up to the max, 1280x1024 and in no uncertain terms, the game runs like a legless dog! Seriously, during the initial conflict with the covenants, I could practically count the number of frames per second!

Yes, I've got settings at max, but on my system, it shouldn't really struggle at all (confirmed by PC Gamer review). Grr, so frustrating - I want to play it! I've got all the latest drivers, nothings running in the background, I'm not forcing AA or anything like that...GRRR!!

Anyone?! :(
Tue 14/10/03 at 10:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Patch available to fix glitches with certain video cards:

http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_temp.asp?patch=halo
Mon 13/10/03 at 18:35
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Think I'll refrain from changing my gfx card until the next generation of Ati and nVidia hits the shelves. I'll do a bit more research before spending my hard-earned next time, too!

Don't think you'll have many probs with Halo using your 9800 pro - the radeons naturally perform much better than the FX's with the game anyway, and what with yours being the cream of the crop, you shouldn't have too much grieve! :)
Mon 13/10/03 at 10:02
Regular
"uncopyable"
Uncle Albert wrote:
> you're using a DX9 card like myself (FX5600), then the game will
> automatically run using the latest v2.0 (which is part of DX9).
>
> However, the game clearly isn't optimized for this level of detail
> (X-Box GPU is essentially a DX8 chipset, I believe) and runs
> particularly poorly in this mode on FX cards.

Yeah, the game seems to be a rather bad Xbox port, but the nVidia FX range just can't handle PS 2.0 operations at anything like a playable frame rate - as you know all to well UA ;-)

It was the same in Tomb Raider: AoD (crap game, but does have PS 2.0 effects) it was the same in the HL2 demos and benchmark, and this is the reason why Valve have written a mixed mode for the FX range and also why Carmack has had to write a custom back end for the FX range in the Doom 3 engine.

nVidia decided to go with 32bit Floating point precision in Pixel shader operations as the default on the FX range and also added the ability to fall back to 16bit, but as it turned out, M$ decided to go with 24bit precision as the default standard for DX9 - which is what ATi went with. This is why Radeon cards can run at the default DX9 code path, because both are using FP 24bit. The FX either has to run at 32Bit, which is just to high to give good performance on this generation of video cards, drop down to 16bit precision, which is below DX9 standard, or go for a mixture of both. Hence this whole 'mixed mode' thing.

Still, good to hear that you have the game running well know UB. I am waiting for my copy to come in the post later this week - providing the strike this week by the monkeys at the Royal mail doesn't slow it down.

Peace.
Sat 11/10/03 at 21:02
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Found a solution - force the game to use version 1.1 pixel shaders. If you're using a DX9 card like myself (FX5600), then the game will automatically run using the latest v2.0 (which is part of DX9).

However, the game clearly isn't optimized for this level of detail (X-Box GPU is essentially a DX8 chipset, I believe) and runs particularly poorly in this mode on FX cards.

So, crank it down to v1.1, turn down a few options and then things should drastically improve (65% FPS improvement, tests show) when the new detonator drivers are released in a week or two. Sorted...kinda. :)
Sat 11/10/03 at 20:35
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Icarus wrote:
> Me too, though I try to keep the number of games down to a minimum
> since they're too distracting sitting there when I'm doing some work
> on the PC.

I'll just pop on CM for a bit.......

There goes my work.

Damn it.
Sat 11/10/03 at 18:33
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Although it may be frustrating, it's a challenge and I enjoy it far more than sticking a disc in a drive and playing from the off, oddly enough!

I've owned pretty much every console under the sun since the Mega Drive, and, at heart, I still prefer PC gaming.

Checking around bungie.net and it's sister sites is diggin' up useful info. Apparently, there's a new driver for nvidia cards, which doubles framerates - lovely jubbly!
Sat 11/10/03 at 12:58
Me too, though I try to keep the number of games down to a minimum since they're too distracting sitting there when I'm doing some work on the PC.
Sat 11/10/03 at 12:51
Regular
I use my Xbox for exclusives and PC for well.....anything.
Sat 11/10/03 at 12:40
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Me too really. Such a huge vairety of games. I have the Cube for Nintendo.
Sat 11/10/03 at 11:08
Regular
I prefer PC gaming tbh.

And UA - I say go to the official bungie forums and have a peek round there. They might be able to help you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.