GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Design-a-FPS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/10/03 at 02:16
"I love yo... lamp."
So what makes a great shooter for you?

In the near(ish) future there are a few muchly anticipated FPSes out, Counter Strike Condition Zero, Half Life 2, Doom 3, Halo 2, XIII.

So what do you want from these, and other future shooters?

Personally I like lots of gadgets and weapons. That is one thing that I like about the Bond games, lots of variety.

I'm beginning to expect online play as almost standard now. It is something that greatly extends the amount of time you play a game for. A good multiplayer makes or breaks a game nowadays.

With advances in technology over the years, I expect decent AI. Let's face it, with out great AI Halo would have just been average.

And good level design is a must. You need varitety. I always felt that some of the old shooters were too samey. Halo was a bit as well.

I also like a good range of interactive elements in the level. Like fixed gun enplacements, vehicles etc.

So um yeah, just general stuff about what you want from some of the new FPSes on the way.
Sat 11/10/03 at 02:16
"I love yo... lamp."
So what makes a great shooter for you?

In the near(ish) future there are a few muchly anticipated FPSes out, Counter Strike Condition Zero, Half Life 2, Doom 3, Halo 2, XIII.

So what do you want from these, and other future shooters?

Personally I like lots of gadgets and weapons. That is one thing that I like about the Bond games, lots of variety.

I'm beginning to expect online play as almost standard now. It is something that greatly extends the amount of time you play a game for. A good multiplayer makes or breaks a game nowadays.

With advances in technology over the years, I expect decent AI. Let's face it, with out great AI Halo would have just been average.

And good level design is a must. You need varitety. I always felt that some of the old shooters were too samey. Halo was a bit as well.

I also like a good range of interactive elements in the level. Like fixed gun enplacements, vehicles etc.

So um yeah, just general stuff about what you want from some of the new FPSes on the way.
Sat 11/10/03 at 08:28
Regular
"8==="
Actually I think a choice of paths to take is a good idea.

What I mean is I'd like to see a tree of missions like in game where you get to advance up a tree of missions how you see fit. Freedom of choice in FPS games is usually an overlooked factor they're usually quite linear, even something Deus Ex still was quite linear in that you had to go through the same missions.

What I want to see is more freedom to choose your character's path in an FPS game, for instance imagine if in Perfect Dark you could switch sides during the first mission and get bribed by the woman who owns the company, then you go into a different mission structure where you're the bad guy working against the goodguys.

Imagine if in Halo Master Chief could become part of the flood and switch sides and start to work against the covenant and the marines.

Red Faction has a split but I haven't gone through again and found out exactly how good it is but that is the way I want some FPS games top go.

I really hope Deus Ex 2 lets you completely swap sides.

This I feel is something that could be implemented into some FPS games to add to their replay value.
Sat 11/10/03 at 11:04
"I love yo... lamp."
Yeah, I hadn't really thought of that. I would never get Master Chief to defect though. That's treason!

Perfect Dark maybe.

Or in Bond games.
Sat 11/10/03 at 14:04
Regular
"8==="
Yeah it'd work well in games where there's a lot of uncertainty about the people you're working for. Like Red faction 2 and Deus Ex.

I suppose they have done it to an extent with Alien Vs Predator in that you could play on 3 sides.
Sat 11/10/03 at 19:39
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Anything where you can just let rip with a machine-gun. For some reason, I always prefer FPS games where you're against human enemies. I really dislike Turok, the alien Perfect Dark bits and others. Makes me sound kinda evil, don't it?
Sat 11/10/03 at 19:43
Regular
"gsybe you!"
In switching sides you are completely destroying the story that is set out for you - It'd be cool if it was more like AvP2, but imagine the work that'd have to go into designing multiple narratives that could occur at any given point in a game. It'd be good fun, but would take absoloutely ages.
Sat 11/10/03 at 21:52
Regular
"8==="
True.

I like the idea of a 'mission tree' though where you have a bit of choice as to what missions you do and what path you take through the mission tree.
Sat 11/10/03 at 23:10
"I love yo... lamp."
The thing is with clever programming it would be possible to play the same missions from either side, or make lots of level that are similar but to play from different perspectives.

Just use different textures on levels and non playable characters. Same level, but appears different.

Sure, I know it isn't quite that simple, but it shouldn't be that difficult.
Sat 11/10/03 at 23:18
That's probably true, certainly not as difficult as creating whole new levels, then texturing them, testing its design, implementing set pieces, interactive objects, etc.
Sun 12/10/03 at 11:26
Regular
"8==="
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> The thing is with clever programming it would be possible to play the
> same missions from either side, or make lots of level that are
> similar but to play from different perspectives.
>

Yup it's been done to a certain extent with Perfect Dark 2. Where one player could be a bad guy on the missions, against the other player, and jump matrix style to the next bad guy when the died.

I'm expecting this to be two players on each side with Perfect Dark Zero.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.