GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life 2 - What next?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half Life 2'.
Sat 11/10/03 at 12:14
Regular
As you all probably know, someone hacked into Valve and stole the source code of Half Life 2. There's info about Half-Life 2 being leaked everywhere on the net.

Vivendi has now stated that the game won't be shipping until April 2004. They obviously don't want to take any chances with what was stolen.

Unfortunately, I've just read on gamespy that although game developer Valve had estimated that only about a third of the source code was leaked, hackers have been able to compile the game complete with stolen content from several test levels. These playable pieces of software are also floating around the net.
What more were the hackers able to steal?
Will the woes continue?

The question is what's next for Half-Life 2? I mean the whole game could have been stolen, so is Valve going to chance it so it isn't spoiled for everyone? Things don't look good :(
Sat 11/10/03 at 14:48
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Lipe wrote:
> Vivendi has now stated that the game won't be shipping until April
> 2004. They obviously don't want to take any chances with what was
> stolen.

Yes, but Valve have refused to confirm this and EBgames (amongst others) changed the new date of release from 29/04/04 to 27/11/03. This is still very much unconfirmed, and although Vivendi were right about the last delay, that was in different circumstances - if Valve choose to place the emphasis now on damage limitation, getting it released sooner rather than later would be wise.

> Unfortunately, I've just read on gamespy that although game developer
> Valve had estimated that only about a third of the source code was
> leaked, hackers have been able to compile the game complete with
> stolen content from several test levels. These playable pieces of
> software are also floating around the net.
> What more were the hackers able to steal?
> Will the woes continue?

What exactly has been released so far I'm not entirely sure on, because I'm refusing to get it myself, but as far as I'm aware it's got a few different levels and some people say some story too. there were many bugs in the original release, but a patch has since been made available. The hacker threatened to release a pre-gold copy if Valve didn't start being honest with their customers, though admitted the next day he doesn't actually have one. He claimed to have everything Valve have on their source tree, which hopefully does include more than just the E3 demo code...I think the 30% of the code rumor stemmed from him getting that 30%, which is not all they had, just what was available on the computer he accessed, plus a lot of other things from various projects.

As for what else...well, I quite liked gamespy's summary: http://www.gamespy.com/ fargo/october03/valvefiles/index.shtml
But, you can see some of the others things which have been released, the full version of Counter Strike: Condition Zero, a tool to allow you to play HL and CS under the new source engine as well as TFC and TF2.

> The question is what's next for Half-Life 2? I mean the whole game
> could have been stolen, so is Valve going to chance it so it isn't
> spoiled for everyone? Things don't look good :(

He admitted he didn't have the whole game, and while there's no guarentee anyone's ebing entirely truthful in this situation, we can only go on what info gets leaked. Personally I'm just waiting to see what happens, and I'll buy it when it arrives.
Sat 11/10/03 at 14:13
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Don't worry - The levels the hackers have compiled apparently show
> that the game is NO WAY near completion. Valve wanted an excuse to
> delay the game.
>
> They got one.

Yeah everyone who has seen it says the same. Think player models are all greyed out and the AI is not in place. So April 2004 was probably a release date even if the code wasnt leaked.

Halo, Jedi Academy have had beta versions out months before the game and you didnt hear those companies complain. I know it was alittle different as it wasnt source code stolen but actual copies of the beta version already complied.
Sat 11/10/03 at 14:07
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
This whole story has been blown so far out of porportion it is unbelievable. Source code gets into the wrong hands regularly - the only reason we're hearing about this one is due to the importance of the game and that Valve are using it as an excuse to delay things. What difference does it make to the game that source code is out there? Absolutely none. Valve need to get on with making the game and stop giving this non-story attention. I'll also guarantee you it wasn't a case of evil hackers breaking in but an employee leaking.
Sat 11/10/03 at 13:15
Regular
Yea but thats got no concrete date and it might turn out like RCTW single player.
Sat 11/10/03 at 12:56
Regular
I'm not to fussed about the delay - We've got Doom 3 to look forward to :)
Sat 11/10/03 at 12:38
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Which one would one rather play?

I cannae wait for it now I've got a noo PC.
Sat 11/10/03 at 12:17
Regular
Don't worry - The levels the hackers have compiled apparently show that the game is NO WAY near completion. Valve wanted an excuse to delay the game.

They got one.
Sat 11/10/03 at 12:14
Regular
As you all probably know, someone hacked into Valve and stole the source code of Half Life 2. There's info about Half-Life 2 being leaked everywhere on the net.

Vivendi has now stated that the game won't be shipping until April 2004. They obviously don't want to take any chances with what was stolen.

Unfortunately, I've just read on gamespy that although game developer Valve had estimated that only about a third of the source code was leaked, hackers have been able to compile the game complete with stolen content from several test levels. These playable pieces of software are also floating around the net.
What more were the hackers able to steal?
Will the woes continue?

The question is what's next for Half-Life 2? I mean the whole game could have been stolen, so is Valve going to chance it so it isn't spoiled for everyone? Things don't look good :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.