GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Counter Strike"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/09/01 at 20:18
Regular
OK, I just asked an IRC channel if anyone wants a game of CS (call me sick when you've finished reading) and I recieved a very surprising response. The responses ranged from "meh" and "*cough* off you sick *cough* *cough*".

What does CS mean though? I see CS as the only multiplayer game that will run on my PC, yet obviously people are seeing it as terrorists vs. counter terrorists. The fact that the level cs_747 exists is unfortunate.

To be honest, all I really see CS as is just another deathmatch. The objective means nothing to me, and I never try and complete it. It could just as well be Teletubbies vs. Tweenies, I don't care. All that matters is, it's a game, it releases frustration, and everyone plays it.

OK, maybe I am being a little insensitive here, but I personally don't like dwelling on things. Sure, mourning is very acceptable, buy we shouldn't mourn forever because then we don't move on. Remember Twelfth Night? The Countess Olivia mourned for 7 years, and never loved anyone. We have to move on. I was feeling depressed and I wanted to play a game. CS is the only game I have, is that a crime? It doesn't mean anything, it's just a game.

So, now who thinks I'm a sick freak.
Thu 13/09/01 at 07:59
Regular
Tut tut TBN. Don't raise issues on leiden, I learnt that from Iggy :) j/k
How are oV going to continue without CS then, anyway? Or are you still going to play?
Thu 13/09/01 at 07:47
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah, it was leiden, but you might have been away when I said. It was Leps which uttered the foulities :-D
Wed 12/09/01 at 22:18
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
InsomniaoV...Luke? Just a guess..

Yes, www.counter-strike.net has been closed for a while as a mark of respect, but I too think we should move on...Counter-Strike will no doubt be a sensitive issue for many though, the idea being to bomb targets and kill people. Just watching an article on sky about how they could easily use MS Flight Simulator to train themselves.

Anyway, which channel did you ask in? I don't recall any replies like that in leiden..
Wed 12/09/01 at 20:51
I've seen quite a lot of posts on Slashdot and other places about "moving on".

A lot of people want to get on with life and some are trying to put the whole event into some sort of grim perspective -- it's a horrible thing to have happened but the death of several thousand americans shouldn't bring the rest of the world to a halt.

The whole thing is very depressing -- tonight my mood is especially low. Watching the event over and over again on TV does nothing but make the entire thing seem less real.

Another aspect of this is that the aim of terrorism is to disrupt people as much as it possibly can, and, although mourning is good, we also need to move on and let life continue.
Wed 12/09/01 at 20:27
Regular
"smile, it's free"
It's only a game

Ask the one who told you you're a [insert_cuss_word] if they've ever played a World war 2 game, then swear at them right back.

I agree as much as anyone that what happened was a tragedy, and you shouldn't be disrespectful about it - but it's only a game.
Wed 12/09/01 at 20:24
Regular
Agree with you totally TBN. People need to move on, otherwise this whole thing will harm more people. And seeing as Counterstrike is one of the most popular online games in the world, the coincidence is one that will have to be lived with, unless people want to stop gaming. Can't see you doing that somehow :)
Wed 12/09/01 at 20:18
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
OK, I just asked an IRC channel if anyone wants a game of CS (call me sick when you've finished reading) and I recieved a very surprising response. The responses ranged from "meh" and "*cough* off you sick *cough* *cough*".

What does CS mean though? I see CS as the only multiplayer game that will run on my PC, yet obviously people are seeing it as terrorists vs. counter terrorists. The fact that the level cs_747 exists is unfortunate.

To be honest, all I really see CS as is just another deathmatch. The objective means nothing to me, and I never try and complete it. It could just as well be Teletubbies vs. Tweenies, I don't care. All that matters is, it's a game, it releases frustration, and everyone plays it.

OK, maybe I am being a little insensitive here, but I personally don't like dwelling on things. Sure, mourning is very acceptable, buy we shouldn't mourn forever because then we don't move on. Remember Twelfth Night? The Countess Olivia mourned for 7 years, and never loved anyone. We have to move on. I was feeling depressed and I wanted to play a game. CS is the only game I have, is that a crime? It doesn't mean anything, it's just a game.

So, now who thinks I'm a sick freak.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.