GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3's ready to rumble!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/03/07 at 17:40
Regular
"What's basketball?"
Forget what you may have heard about Sony not being interested in adding rumble to the PlayStation 3 controller. Despite numerous comments on how it would be technically difficult to do so and how the Sixaxis' tilt controls offer a better gameplay experience, it now looks like the PS3 controller will be rumbling soon after all.

Sony and tech company Immersion jointly announced on Thursday that they had ended their wrangling over Sony's unlawful inclusion of Immersion's rumble technology in past versions of the Dual Shock controller. More importantly, the two are now working together to use Immersion's "advanced vibration capability for the benefit of the PlayStation gaming community", hinting at a rumbling PS3 controller.

Sony president Kaz Hirai said the company was looking forward to working with Immersion on, "exciting new ways to bring the largest and best range of gameplay experiences to our customers."

Despite the deal, the company hasn't yet confirmed any PS3 games in development that will include rumble.

Sony's flip-flop on rumble comes just days after Sony executive Phil Harrison called it a "last-generation" feature in an interview with Gamedaily. Harrison's carefully chosen words during an interview that took place just before this week's announcement suggest that perhaps a new rumble-enabled PS3 controller would be sold as an accessory at first, much like the original Dual Shock controller was.

"We have no plans to do so in the standard controller that ships with PlayStation 3," Harrison said in the interview.

"I believe that the Sixaxis controller offers game designers and developers far more opportunity for future innovation than rumble ever did. Now, rumble I think was the last generation feature; it's not the next-generation feature. I think motion sensitivity is. And we don't see the need to do that."

This preference for tilt-controls over rumble was echoed by comments from a spokesperson for Sony in Europe who said: "We still feel strongly that 'active' rather than 'passive' gameplay options are the wave of the future. However, we look forward to exploring additional functionality in our products through our Immersion partnership."

The deal between Sony and Immersion brings to an end a legal tussle that began in the winter of 2002, when Immersion took on both Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft later settled with Immersion for $26 million and gained a 10 per cent stake in the company in the process. Sony lost its appeal in 2005 and was ordered to pay $82 million in damages.
Wed 07/03/07 at 09:48
"possibly impossible"
Don't Nintendo also have a stake?
Tue 06/03/07 at 12:05
Regular
"8==="
Found this:

"We already know that Sony and Immersion have already settled their legal differences, what you possibly still do not know is that Sony is coughing up some dough for Immersion. Information Week reports that Sony Corporation has agreed to pay Immersion US$ 150.3 million. This is, of course, still aligned with the patent infringement suit wherein Immersion claimed that Sony used its technology in the Sony PS1 and PS2.

According to an Immersion representative, the US$ 150 million agreement followed Sony's decision to withdraw its federal court decision appeal which entails an awarding of US$ 127.8 million to Immersion. If you could remember, the Oakland, California jury found Sony guilty of patent infringement in 2004.

What is really funny is the fact that Microssoft made out on this deal. They paid in excess of 38 Million dollars to settle the suit with Immersion & got 10% interest in the company. Yes Microsoft was wise enough to finally settle a lawsuit instead of battleling it out. Then on July 25, 2003, Immersion contemporaneously executed a series of agreements with Microsoft that:

1. Settled Immersion’s lawsuit against Microsoft

2. Granted Microsoft a worldwide royalty-free, irrevocable license to Immersion’s portfolio with Microsoft splashing out around $6 million on a 10% stake in Immersion

3. Provided Microsoft with sublicense rights to pursue certain license arrangements directly with third parties including Sony Computer Entertainment which, if consummated, would result in payments to Immersion Here is the funny part - Sony paid a total of 150 Million if you read the article above. That's three times what Microsoft paid - Plus they get 10% of the suit with Sony - They actually get back what they paid! LOL - Per the lawsuit analysed be a industry expert - See below Microsoft settled out of court for a "$26 million payment for licensing rights and an equity investment, as well as a $9 million convertible debenture from Immersion with 48 months draw down rights." In the end, the additional money makes Microsoft now own 10% of Immersion Corporation.

One such motion that I'm sure hasn't escaped Sony's legal team might involve the fact that Microsoft, a direct competitor of Sony in the video game market, owns 10% of Immersion. In essence, should Sony have to pay anything to Immersion in damages and/or licensing fees, Microsoft will make money off of their competition. An argument could also be made by Sony that Microsoft stands to benefit greatly if Immersion successfully gets an injunction against Sony that would force them to recall all PS2 consoles on store shelves with the Dual Shock 2 controller, as well as all extra Dual Shock 2 controllers for sale. "
Mon 05/03/07 at 02:53
Regular
"8==="
Alfonse wrote:
> Rumble's old skool. I want force feedback.

The force isn't strong within you. You must try harder.
Sun 04/03/07 at 22:50
"possibly impossible"
Marink wrote:
> Forget what you may have heard about Sony not being interested in
> adding rumble to the PlayStation 3 controller. Despite numerous
> comments on how it would be technically difficult to do so and
> how the Sixaxis' tilt controls offer a better gameplay
> experience, it now looks like the PS3 controller will be
> rumbling soon after all.
>
> Sony and tech company Immersion jointly announced on Thursday
> that they had ended their wrangling over Sony's unlawful
> inclusion of Immersion's rumble technology in past versions of
> the Dual Shock controller. More importantly, the two are now
> working together to use Immersion's "advanced vibration
> capability for the benefit of the PlayStation gaming
> community", hinting at a rumbling PS3 controller.
>
> Sony president Kaz Hirai said the company was looking forward to
> working with Immersion on, "exciting new ways to bring the
> largest and best range of gameplay experiences to our
> customers."
>
> Despite the deal, the company hasn't yet confirmed any PS3 games
> in development that will include rumble.
>
> Sony's flip-flop on rumble comes just days after Sony executive
> Phil Harrison called it a "last-generation" feature in
> an interview with
> Gamedaily.
> Harrison's carefully chosen words during an interview that took
> place just before this week's announcement suggest that perhaps
> a new rumble-enabled PS3 controller would be sold as an
> accessory at first, much like the original Dual Shock controller
> was.
>
> "We have no plans to do so in the standard controller that
> ships with PlayStation 3," Harrison said in the interview.
>
>
> "I believe that the Sixaxis controller offers game
> designers and developers far more opportunity for future
> innovation than rumble ever did. Now, rumble I think was the
> last generation feature; it's not the next-generation feature. I
> think motion sensitivity is. And we don't see the need to do
> that."
>
> This preference for tilt-controls over rumble was echoed by
> comments from a spokesperson for Sony in Europe who said:
> "We still feel strongly that 'active' rather than 'passive'
> gameplay options are the wave of the future. However, we look
> forward to exploring additional functionality in our products
> through our Immersion partnership."
>
> The deal between Sony and Immersion brings to an end a legal
> tussle that began in the winter of 2002, when Immersion took on
> both Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft later settled with Immersion
> for $26 million and gained a 10 per cent stake in the company in
> the process. Sony lost its appeal in 2005 and was ordered to pay
> $82 million in damages.

You forgot to add that this whole topic was taken from http://games.kikizo.com/news/200703/006.asp to avoid plagerism...
Sat 03/03/07 at 20:26
Regular
Rumble's old skool. I want force feedback.
Sat 03/03/07 at 18:48
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
There will be a rumble feature?
Savage, no stopping my brother now.......
Sat 03/03/07 at 17:40
Regular
"What's basketball?"
Forget what you may have heard about Sony not being interested in adding rumble to the PlayStation 3 controller. Despite numerous comments on how it would be technically difficult to do so and how the Sixaxis' tilt controls offer a better gameplay experience, it now looks like the PS3 controller will be rumbling soon after all.

Sony and tech company Immersion jointly announced on Thursday that they had ended their wrangling over Sony's unlawful inclusion of Immersion's rumble technology in past versions of the Dual Shock controller. More importantly, the two are now working together to use Immersion's "advanced vibration capability for the benefit of the PlayStation gaming community", hinting at a rumbling PS3 controller.

Sony president Kaz Hirai said the company was looking forward to working with Immersion on, "exciting new ways to bring the largest and best range of gameplay experiences to our customers."

Despite the deal, the company hasn't yet confirmed any PS3 games in development that will include rumble.

Sony's flip-flop on rumble comes just days after Sony executive Phil Harrison called it a "last-generation" feature in an interview with Gamedaily. Harrison's carefully chosen words during an interview that took place just before this week's announcement suggest that perhaps a new rumble-enabled PS3 controller would be sold as an accessory at first, much like the original Dual Shock controller was.

"We have no plans to do so in the standard controller that ships with PlayStation 3," Harrison said in the interview.

"I believe that the Sixaxis controller offers game designers and developers far more opportunity for future innovation than rumble ever did. Now, rumble I think was the last generation feature; it's not the next-generation feature. I think motion sensitivity is. And we don't see the need to do that."

This preference for tilt-controls over rumble was echoed by comments from a spokesperson for Sony in Europe who said: "We still feel strongly that 'active' rather than 'passive' gameplay options are the wave of the future. However, we look forward to exploring additional functionality in our products through our Immersion partnership."

The deal between Sony and Immersion brings to an end a legal tussle that began in the winter of 2002, when Immersion took on both Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft later settled with Immersion for $26 million and gained a 10 per cent stake in the company in the process. Sony lost its appeal in 2005 and was ordered to pay $82 million in damages.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.