GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What the N-Cage SHOULD have done."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/10/03 at 23:47
Regular
I don't know much about this machine.

All I know it that it is a mobile phone turned games machine and is meant to be appalling (from what people have said and what I have seen of it on TV).

Looks like it tried to be a GBA with those weak platformers and Fifa conversions but failed miserably with sticky controls and a lack of any excitement.

What they SHOULD have done is concentrated on multiplayer based games.
The built in mobile communications would've made this perfect. Ofcourse phone companies would have to have a reduced rate for online gaming, but that uses less bandwidth than a phonecall so they'd have been fine with that.

Bomberman, Micromachines, even chess, draughts and the other basics would've worked really well.

Having said that, I've heard they're charging £300 for the system...
Well I'm sure they weren't expecting it to take off straight away! :-S
Mon 27/10/03 at 13:05
Regular
you all seem to forget that it is a phone, games AND mp3 player, so just because it makes the game boy mono look SOTA don't mean it's crap. though we all know it is, so why do I argue?
Wed 22/10/03 at 15:24
Regular
It's even got Bluetooth wireless capability which lets it connect to your PC or other phones. This wouldn't be through the phone network so I expect that it would be charge free.

Now that would be PERFECT for wireless Lan gaming...

... if the machine was any good to play with.

Because all these faults are purely design and none of them technical I think Nokia might get away with it.

Remember the Master System and Mega Drive?
Sega re-released both as the Master System 2 and the Mega Drive 2, both with snazzier designs and the MS2 had a game built in.

So Nokia might re-release the entire system, only all the buttons, cartrige slots, etc re-done and then it might work... maybe! ;-)
Tue 21/10/03 at 16:22
Regular
"Women Pay Me"
Nokia certainly aren't going about it by halves. Totally agree - I don't think that this'll stand up long term although it is actually a very well specified phone.

Thing is, it's big, it's expensive without a contract and they're totally shooting themselves in the foot by trying to appeal to a market that can't realistically ever own one!! (You gonna see many 10 year-olds with a mobile phone contract or the money to buy one on PAYT?).

Aside from that though - Nokia are throwing huge amounts of money at this, the advert campaign is going full steam ahead and to be fair they've got some big games on board.

But when Sony get the PSP released, heaven help Nokia!
Tue 21/10/03 at 10:40
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
If they'd put the screen in landscape orientation rather than portrait it would have been better too. More potential for games that way. You wonder who they consulted when they designed it!
Mon 20/10/03 at 19:47
"possibly impossible"
I wonder how many people know about the PSP, which isn't even out yet, compared to the N-Gage. I'm sure Sony's advertising will see plenty of second hand N-Gages lying around before long.

It doesn't matter how good the PSP is, although I obviously hope it will be outstanding, which will in turn create a better handheld for Nintendo instead of them resting in their laurels, but Sony's advertising and brand will ensure sales...
Sun 19/10/03 at 23:06
Regular
N-Gage is awful.

And the online gaming... as long as the games were any good... would be alright especially for Orange customers as internet is free.

Sadly the controls are poorly laid, suffers terrible slow down and the games are very much below par...

Even with support from SEGA.
Sun 19/10/03 at 22:13
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> I tried one in Virgin. I couldn't get it to load games.
>

Same here. I never actually got onto 'Pandemonium'. I moved onto one with TR already loaded, and got very bored, because I couldn't actually figure out what to do with all the buttons and because TR sucks.
Sun 19/10/03 at 21:59
Regular
"My head hurts"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> It's doing quite well, they sold less than 500 N-Gage console/phones
> in their first week according to a survey of 6000 UK game retailers.
> (Source, spong.com).
>
> That's over 70 a day!
>
> Which only goes to disprove the "one born every minute"
> saying, as clearly there are more than 70 minutes in a day.

Thats what i heard and it's cany low.
Sun 19/10/03 at 20:01
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> I don't know much about this machine.

clearly you dont. read the topic once again.

"what the N-Cage should have done"

was the Cage intentional? if so, it's genius.
Sun 19/10/03 at 10:49
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
What the N-Gage SHOULD have done:

Given up the moment someone suggested using skater kids to launch it at E3.

OR

Thrown the plans in the bin the moment a £229 price tag was decided.

OR

Had a simple way of changing games, like even Nintendo's 1989 Gameboy had.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.