GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Virus intrusion things"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/03/07 at 07:36
Regular
"8==="
Ok, a friend of mine claims that generally all you need is windows firewall and things such as Zone Alarm and Norton Anti Virus are generally pointless if you're using a decent email service and are careful about what you download.

Is this true?

He laso claim the 'blocked attempts to access your computer' are generally fabricated to keep you renewing your protection program and/or are already blocked by the windows firewall.

Any truth to this?
Fri 02/03/07 at 10:54
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Internet security is mostly paranoia.

If you don't download from p2p networks and other dubious sources then a copy of Firefox and Spybot should do okay without AV programs. That is, unless you're completely intent on downloading strange attachments from your junk mail folder.

As for firewalls, the Windows firewall should be enough to stop most random inbound things (ie, unless someone's interested in you personally then it should be fine). And if you are behind a router then adding a software firewall probably won't give you a whole lot more protection.

I don't know anything about the blocked attempts things being fabricated, but the Windows firewall *should* be blocking them anyway, yes.

They're not pointless, but for the average user, they are made largely redundant by a little common sense.
Fri 02/03/07 at 07:57
Regular
windows firewall is generally ok, but you can never have enough protection!

I would never pay for a antivirus programme such as norton etc, especially as there are equally as good free ones out there, for examaple AVG by Grisoft.

I have been using the windows firewall with zone alarm, free firewall, and avg for several years now and not run in to any problems and i am on the net 24/7.
Fri 02/03/07 at 07:36
Regular
"8==="
Ok, a friend of mine claims that generally all you need is windows firewall and things such as Zone Alarm and Norton Anti Virus are generally pointless if you're using a decent email service and are careful about what you download.

Is this true?

He laso claim the 'blocked attempts to access your computer' are generally fabricated to keep you renewing your protection program and/or are already blocked by the windows firewall.

Any truth to this?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.