GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Behind the Gameplay - Fog Channel - 9:30PM"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/09/01 at 19:14
Regular
The last boss falls to pieces, the final chaos emerald is in your grasp... the credits roll...

And then what happens? By the time the next game comes along, everything seems to have returned to normal...

Hi, my name is Grix Thraves, and I’ll be your guide through this tale of a hedgehog, and his battle against alcohol and drug abuse.

[Jazzy start up credits roll, montage of Sonic screens and rock music, ending in BEHIND THE GAMEPLAY in big yellow letters]

-------------

Sonic, born in 1991, began life as a alternative to the slow well designed levels of a fat plumber, and as Sega's mascot, went on to basically sell systems for them for the next ten years.

[We greet Sonic, who casually smiles and raises his index finger, and waves it at us. We're not sure why. He lights a cigarette, and begins to puff away]

"I think the troubles started back when we were making..." Sonic muses to himself... "Sonic 2, I think. The Megadrive? Yeah?"

Sonic 2 gave birth to a new character, Miles Prower, better known as Tails the Fox.

"He was a right git. We didn't even hire him for work, he just turned up on the day, and we couldn't get rid of him."

Tails, famous for his lack of intelligence and ability to suddenly come to life after being squished, squashed or just plain beaten to death, and as soon as he was alive helped by dying again, wasn't exactly the most invaluable of sidekicks.

"I thought I bought a whole new type of gamer to the Sonic games..." Tails tells us, dressed in leather. He crosses his legs. "Sonic just won't admit that without me, the series wouldn't have carried on. People would have got bored with just making a hedgehog run through level after level."

When Tails came out and admitted his love for him, Sonic wasn't exactly pleased.

"How do you think it would look on the front cover of Sonic the Comic, a story telling "Tails confesses his passionate love for Sonic, tells us where he'll like to stick his bushy twins"... not good? No? He threatened me... he told me he would tell the world about our "little fling"... For crying out loud, nothing happened, nothing!"

[Sonic looks straight at us for a second, and then looks away and smokes some more]

Dr Robotnik was interviewed on a phone, one of many little conditions that the Doctor wanted so we could interview him.

"It rocked the whole crew..." Robotnik told us. "None of us could really work as a team that we once did..."

[Black and white picture of Dr. Robotnik is shown, he looks like he’s shouting at whoever is taking the picture, and has a hand up, trying to conceal himself]

"Back in Sonic 1, we worked great, and the magic was there... the chemistry between good and evil. I think it was still there in Sonic 2, as well. By Sonic and Knuckles, we were having a hard time working together."

"Yeah... damn, I collected all those emeralds..." Sonic tells us.

[Sonic becomes silent again, and stares at the floor]

After Sonic collected all the emeralds and sent Dr Robotniks Death Egg crashing down in Sonic 2, Sonic became tense, without work... he turned to alcohol for comfort.

[Photo of Sonic out on town, with bottle in hand.]

"I think, perhaps in the future, I should lock away the emeralds, instead of carrying them around with me."

Sonic was found barely alive in a gutter covered in his own vomit near Spring Yard Zone. It was the height of his success, and the pressure from the media... books, clothes, just "a load of junk with my face on it", as he describes it. He had gambled away everything, he was high on drugs... and the emeralds had gone.

[Emeralds bounce off screen with added tumbling noise, to represent this.]

"Well," Dr Robotnik tells us... "I found him, yes, the poor sod had a few more needles sticking out of him.... but without Sonic, there is no Dr Robotnik. I had to let him live, otherwise, no games. Well, there was the Mean Bean Machine, but I think we've already stated that we can't talk about that."

With Sonic in rehab, Dr Robotnik began work on the second Death Egg, ready for a new game. And that's when he met Knuckles.

"I thought perhaps we could use a new player in the next one... Sonic needed the rest, and I thought perhaps we could put him on my side, equal it out, as it were."

Knuckles was a carpenter working on the Death Egg 2, and Dr Robotnik made the right calls, and got him hired.

"I think... yes, it was a good move..." Knuckles says, thinking to himself. "I... I know that perhaps, it was... hmmm, they had a gang, as such, normal characters, perhaps I wouldn't fit in? But it seemed ok."

"I couldn't stand Knuckles." Tails says, crossing his legs again, twisting his fur. "He thought he was so macho, thinking he could just walk in on our franchise."

"And then Tails of course felt threatened..." Robotnik tells us. "It really was hard work with that one. As I said, he pulled us apart."

After Sonic recovered, and left rehab a few years later, they began work on the next Sonic straight away. Knuckles was welcomed well, but there still wasn't something right...

"And then, came along the Sonic CD, which put me back with Robotnik again... now, that was good. Just like the good old days. Problem being nobody bought the Mega CD... Knuckles had it worse though, he was on the 32X."

We asked Sonic what he thought about the outings on the Dreamcast...

He sighs. "I know what you're going to say. Look, we're NOT actors. I'm a sodding hedgehog that runs at the speed of light, they just wanted to show off the hardware, and I'm sorry if I didn't seem to make it realistic enough of an experience for you." Sonic picks at his nails, and for a moment, it seems like he’s forgotten that he’s in an interview. "It was very fast though."

"You could see it in them, in Sonic Adventure, I think it was..." Robotnik coughs down the phone. "Tails still the lover, Sonic worried as hell, depressed, you can see it in his eyes... Knuckles of course knew nothing about what had happened, and obviously feeling left out. And then me, trying to be evil when I know I don't really sound it. Yeah, none of us really had the emotion for it anymore."

[Silence from Robotnik for a few moments.]

"I'm having trouble making the bloody machines... all Sega have done have walked in on our world. Who has to make all the ruddy contraptions? Me. They've never provided me with any workers... it's just a bloody vicious circle. I capture animals to work for me because Sega won't provide me with any staff, Sonic rescues them... and Sega... have a game... hmmm..."

More silence.

"I'm going to have to leave you now. Sorry."

[The phone *clicks* as it's hung up.]

"The future?" Sonic repeats our question... "Well, I suppose... all we're doing is allowing a window into our world. I don't really care which house it's on, as long as I’m paid."

"I understand now that Sonic doesn’t return my feelings… but that’s not going to stop me from working here. I’m part of Team Sonic, now..."

[We ask Knuckles has it ever occurred to him that he might be paid less.]

"No... Why do you ask?"

"And so, the legend of Sonic tumbles on, without anyone really sure which direction it's actually heading." Sonic says. "But what the hell, they're fun games, and that's all that matters to you lot, isn't it! All you care about is getting from level to bloody level... what about us lot!"

[Sonic approaches camera, and the camera is knocked to the floor, on it's side. We watch as Sonic marches out of set, through door.]

Yes, indeed. The legend of Sonic tumbles on... and the next time YOU play a Sonic game, remember the trauma that goes into it, the stress from Sonic, the love from Tails... remember that there is more to the game, but that's...

BEHIND THE GAMEPLAY!

I've been Grix Thraves. Join us next time, on:

BEHIND THE GAMEPLAY!
Sun 16/09/01 at 22:33
Regular
GAd ah forget that....
Thu 13/09/01 at 18:08
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> (Bah, his ability to speak his mind is naathing compared to the> poker faced insult technique of his brain!)

Shut up.

lol.
Thu 13/09/01 at 18:04
Regular
(Bah, his ability to speak his mind is naathing compared to the poker faced insult technique of his brain!)

Shut up.
Thu 13/09/01 at 18:01
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> I'm not even going to dare saying anything.

That makes a change!

:-)
Thu 13/09/01 at 17:58
Regular
I'm not even going to dare saying anything.

(Grix was going to write about how nothing goes on behind the buildings apart from perhaps Fate and Tony meeting for lunch, but he's not got the guts.)

Him, not me. Him.
Thu 13/09/01 at 17:54
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Sheepo ya bas, ;0)

Behind the Special Reserve.

Oo-er missus!

Kinky!
Thu 13/09/01 at 17:33
Regular
Sheepo ya bas, ;0)

Behind the Special Reserve.
Thu 13/09/01 at 16:46
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Told ya ;-)
Thu 13/09/01 at 16:08
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Hmm - I feel a Sniper comment coming on.

"Gameplay" is a dirty word around here.
Thu 13/09/01 at 15:25
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
Well done Grix. Another well deserved GAD for you. Hoy Hoy!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.