GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Its not an original title"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/09/01 at 00:46
Regular
I'm poting this because i said i would some where

And yes it is going to be called the PS3, sony have let there imagination run wild yet again don't you think.

Playstation 2 might just be getting into its stride – and into the shops – but the buzz has started on what we will be able to expect from its successor. And if only half this lot comes off – the rough hype/reality ratio we got with PS2 – then the future of gaming is looking very bright indeed.

First Sony Computer Entertainment head honcho Ken Kutaragi told a US science that the NEXT, next generation console would be the one that will link up to e0mail, online shopping and the rest of the broadband stuff promised for the PS2.

Since then news has trickled out about two components that gives us a very good idea of what the PS3’s processing power is going to be. These bits of future software – which are both close to being finished – will make up the PS3’s Emotion Engine and Graphics synthesizer. Basically we now know that they will be under the new console’s bonnet, and how much power it will have.

First Sony announced that the Gscube – the basis of the Emotion Engine – is due to ship in 2002. The prototype - being developed by Guildford-based Criterion Studios – is based around 16 PS2’s strapped together and should give the PS3 about ten times the power of the PS2.

The second piece of the puzzle popped up at the dull-sounding International Solid State Circuits Conference in San Francisco. Among the very technical talk of transfer data (yawn) and wire and soundboards simplex solutions – designer of the graphics synthesizer (GS) used in PS2’s – unveiled details of what will be the PS3’s graphics chip. The new GS, quickly dubbed GS3 by pundits, has been etched out of a wafer of silicon using a light beam just 1.8 microns wide – that’s 600 times thinner than a human hair.

Why is this important? Well, the thinner the light beam, the more circuits can be crammed into a smaller space (in this case 287.5million of them) and therefore the more powerful the finished chip will be. Significantly, 256Mb of Dynamic RAM has been squeezed into the GS3, that’s eight times the amount present in the PS2 GS (imagine how detailed and immense the graphics would be, oh yeah), and since RAM is the major factor limiting the speed and detail of graphics produced, PS3 is certain to run even sexier-looking games than the PS2.While in theory the PS2’s GS could move 75 million polygons around your TV screen, in practice this extra RAM means that the new, improved GS chip will get much closer to this mammoth draw rate.

Combining these two incredible technical advancements will mean a leap much larger than the PS1 to the PS2. As a games machine PS3 should be a truly awesome beast, boasting near film-quality graphics and unthinkable programming depth. As a home entertainment system it might even fulfil predictions for movies on-demand, home shopping and banking.

However the final piece of the PS3 jigsaw, and the one that will realise those predictions – broadband technology – is beyond even Sony’s powers. Broadband – high-speed data connections on a network – has been painfully slow to roll out in the UK. In fact the chances are that by the time the networks are ready to pipe into every street and house in the Country PS2 will be up against PS3.

As if that wasn’t enough to whet the appetite, news has filtered through of Sony’s negotiations with IBM and Toshiba, which could see the development of a single chip so powerful it will be equivalent of IBM’S Supercomputer Deep Blue (which beat then unbeatable World Champion Garry Kasparov at chess). While Sony is staying tight-lipped about whether the chip will end up inside the PS3 it shows were the future of gaming is heading. With something as powerful as this, imagine what a games AI could be like, would it act like an intelligent human being and have a counter for every move that me make, at the moment it is not know but it is a great possibility.

And that has to be good because, while they might not look as real as me or you, the games the PS3 will be able to power are sure to blow some minds. And that’s what everyone cares about.

thanx for reading

><{{{*>
Tue 11/09/01 at 00:00
Bonus wrote:
> It would help if I read the whole post wouldn't it :D

yeah it would
Mon 10/09/01 at 23:53
Your Honour wrote:
> Just out of interest, where did you get this article
> from?

I wrote this myself just added in the info from a magazine which i read months ago

I wrote this ages ago aswell so hey.

Anyway, i'm not getting excited about this new console because i've got my dreamcast, yeah.
Mon 10/09/01 at 14:52
Regular
It would help if I read the whole post wouldn't it :D
Mon 10/09/01 at 14:49
Regular
I have absolutely no idea where you got your info, but the GSCube will not be the basis for the PS3, "The Cell" will. Sony, Toshiba and IBM are currently developing the processor and it will be designed specifically to interconnect with other cell procesors, in other appliances, to create a digital processing network. The chip will be fabricated on a 0.1 micron process, accoriding to Toshiba, and will offer roughly the same performance as the GS-Cube.

The current PS2 Graphics Synthesiser is fabricated on a 0.18 micron process also and is scheduled to be brought down to 0.15. the speed however will not be increased but it will help to keep future model of the Playstation 2 cooler than the original models, some of which have a tendancy to become quite warm.

For more info on the cell, chack out this link;

http://www.itworld.com/Comp/ 1437/itwnws_01-03-12_supercomp/

(REMOVE SPACE)
Mon 10/09/01 at 14:40
did you know that sony have already copyrighted the name PS3?...but PS3 doesnt sound as good as PS2
Mon 10/09/01 at 13:21
Tellah wrote:
A
> 486 wouldn't have beaten Kasparov, because there is a time limit on
> chess moves - and a 486 would have taken 3 days to cacluate a move
> (slightly out of time limitations), that deep blue calculated in 5
> mins!

Lets play a game of spot the Nerd!
Mon 10/09/01 at 09:58
Regular
Tellah wrote:
A
> 486 wouldn't have beaten Kasparov, because there is a time limit on
> chess moves - and a 486 would have taken 3 days to cacluate a move
> (slightly out of time limitations), that deep blue calculated in 5
> mins!

Ok, now you're just being fussy! :-)

But you see my point, it's not the processor that's 'intelligent', it's the software that's run on that processor.
Mon 10/09/01 at 09:57
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
PS3 sounds interesting - but the specs are still changing for the x-box, so I'm not going to pay much attention to the immense power stats that are starting to appear.
I'm going to hold my horses - and wait until at least 1 movie or screenshot appears first!

A 486 wouldn't have beaten Kasparov, because there is a time limit on chess moves - and a 486 would have taken 3 days to cacluate a move (slightly out of time limitations), that deep blue calculated in 5 mins!
Mon 10/09/01 at 08:37
Regular
Just out of interest, where did you get this article from?

Moving on to a couple of points:

The computer that beat the chess bloke, doesn't have to be *that* amazingly powerful, as it is the 'intelligence' of the software run on it that calculates how to win at chess. It could have been run on a 486, it just would have taken slightly longer....

Also, there have been rumours of a PS3 ever since the Jap launch of the PS2, but it'll be at least another 4 or so years before it's even released, so I wouldn't get to excited just yet.

Or are you that disappointed with your PS2 that you looking for something else to play good games on?

If so, I hear DreamCasts are quite cheap at the moment...

:-)
Mon 10/09/01 at 00:46
I'm poting this because i said i would some where

And yes it is going to be called the PS3, sony have let there imagination run wild yet again don't you think.

Playstation 2 might just be getting into its stride – and into the shops – but the buzz has started on what we will be able to expect from its successor. And if only half this lot comes off – the rough hype/reality ratio we got with PS2 – then the future of gaming is looking very bright indeed.

First Sony Computer Entertainment head honcho Ken Kutaragi told a US science that the NEXT, next generation console would be the one that will link up to e0mail, online shopping and the rest of the broadband stuff promised for the PS2.

Since then news has trickled out about two components that gives us a very good idea of what the PS3’s processing power is going to be. These bits of future software – which are both close to being finished – will make up the PS3’s Emotion Engine and Graphics synthesizer. Basically we now know that they will be under the new console’s bonnet, and how much power it will have.

First Sony announced that the Gscube – the basis of the Emotion Engine – is due to ship in 2002. The prototype - being developed by Guildford-based Criterion Studios – is based around 16 PS2’s strapped together and should give the PS3 about ten times the power of the PS2.

The second piece of the puzzle popped up at the dull-sounding International Solid State Circuits Conference in San Francisco. Among the very technical talk of transfer data (yawn) and wire and soundboards simplex solutions – designer of the graphics synthesizer (GS) used in PS2’s – unveiled details of what will be the PS3’s graphics chip. The new GS, quickly dubbed GS3 by pundits, has been etched out of a wafer of silicon using a light beam just 1.8 microns wide – that’s 600 times thinner than a human hair.

Why is this important? Well, the thinner the light beam, the more circuits can be crammed into a smaller space (in this case 287.5million of them) and therefore the more powerful the finished chip will be. Significantly, 256Mb of Dynamic RAM has been squeezed into the GS3, that’s eight times the amount present in the PS2 GS (imagine how detailed and immense the graphics would be, oh yeah), and since RAM is the major factor limiting the speed and detail of graphics produced, PS3 is certain to run even sexier-looking games than the PS2.While in theory the PS2’s GS could move 75 million polygons around your TV screen, in practice this extra RAM means that the new, improved GS chip will get much closer to this mammoth draw rate.

Combining these two incredible technical advancements will mean a leap much larger than the PS1 to the PS2. As a games machine PS3 should be a truly awesome beast, boasting near film-quality graphics and unthinkable programming depth. As a home entertainment system it might even fulfil predictions for movies on-demand, home shopping and banking.

However the final piece of the PS3 jigsaw, and the one that will realise those predictions – broadband technology – is beyond even Sony’s powers. Broadband – high-speed data connections on a network – has been painfully slow to roll out in the UK. In fact the chances are that by the time the networks are ready to pipe into every street and house in the Country PS2 will be up against PS3.

As if that wasn’t enough to whet the appetite, news has filtered through of Sony’s negotiations with IBM and Toshiba, which could see the development of a single chip so powerful it will be equivalent of IBM’S Supercomputer Deep Blue (which beat then unbeatable World Champion Garry Kasparov at chess). While Sony is staying tight-lipped about whether the chip will end up inside the PS3 it shows were the future of gaming is heading. With something as powerful as this, imagine what a games AI could be like, would it act like an intelligent human being and have a counter for every move that me make, at the moment it is not know but it is a great possibility.

And that has to be good because, while they might not look as real as me or you, the games the PS3 will be able to power are sure to blow some minds. And that’s what everyone cares about.

thanx for reading

><{{{*>

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.