GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Rouge Squadron multiformat debate"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Rogue Squadron'.
Sun 26/10/03 at 15:01
Regular
For those that don't know the rogue squadron rumour allow me to enlighten you with this handy SR news report.

Xbox Star Wars fans rejoice! As rumour has it the previously Nintendo-exlusive Star Wars Rogue Squadron series is to come to your console.
It's always an event when the Star Wars franchise throws up a darn good game, so all you Xboxers out there can start counting down the days (ok, months then) as rumours allegedly emanating directly from source have it that Rogue Squadron will be coming to Xbox, though a vague 'autumn '04' release looks likely. The even better news is that you will not be getting just one game for your money, no, but a trilogy of all the three versions so far!

Now I'm not actually bothered in the slightest about this. Although specific X-box fanboys appear to believe I am. A reply i gave to one gloating fanboy was "why would I care that you get to play a decent game or not" and his reply was "because it'll damage Gamecube sales"... will it now. Explain to me how an old game will damage Cube sales? By the time X-box gets their version the damage would have already been done... the only console the series would have sold is Gamecube. It will sell ON the X-box but not the X-box. So for starters it's hardly a big deal from a Ninty point of view.

But my second query is the rumour itself. It states all 3 rogue squadron games will be getting released. Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Rogue Squadron series essentially a collection of upgrades? Rogue Squadron was great but Rogue Squadron 2 was essentially Rouge Squadron but bigger, better and damn right cooler. The third appears to be the same but with the major difference being on foor levels.

Why would Factor 5 release 3 very similar games on the console? Why not just release the third? I mean what's the bloody point?

Sounds very odd to me.

Dringo.
Sun 26/10/03 at 15:01
Regular
For those that don't know the rogue squadron rumour allow me to enlighten you with this handy SR news report.

Xbox Star Wars fans rejoice! As rumour has it the previously Nintendo-exlusive Star Wars Rogue Squadron series is to come to your console.
It's always an event when the Star Wars franchise throws up a darn good game, so all you Xboxers out there can start counting down the days (ok, months then) as rumours allegedly emanating directly from source have it that Rogue Squadron will be coming to Xbox, though a vague 'autumn '04' release looks likely. The even better news is that you will not be getting just one game for your money, no, but a trilogy of all the three versions so far!

Now I'm not actually bothered in the slightest about this. Although specific X-box fanboys appear to believe I am. A reply i gave to one gloating fanboy was "why would I care that you get to play a decent game or not" and his reply was "because it'll damage Gamecube sales"... will it now. Explain to me how an old game will damage Cube sales? By the time X-box gets their version the damage would have already been done... the only console the series would have sold is Gamecube. It will sell ON the X-box but not the X-box. So for starters it's hardly a big deal from a Ninty point of view.

But my second query is the rumour itself. It states all 3 rogue squadron games will be getting released. Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Rogue Squadron series essentially a collection of upgrades? Rogue Squadron was great but Rogue Squadron 2 was essentially Rouge Squadron but bigger, better and damn right cooler. The third appears to be the same but with the major difference being on foor levels.

Why would Factor 5 release 3 very similar games on the console? Why not just release the third? I mean what's the bloody point?

Sounds very odd to me.

Dringo.
Sun 26/10/03 at 15:05
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Rouge.

Classic.
Sun 26/10/03 at 15:05
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Xbox gets a more girly version then.
Sun 26/10/03 at 15:07
cookie monster wrote:
> Rouge.
>
> Classic.

Heh, can't fail. Love it.
Sun 26/10/03 at 15:18
Regular
Since it's sp late, it matters not, but, in future, it'll go onto PSwhatever, and eventually, factor 5 ill be all "Oh, Ninty's all kiddy and stuff", so they won't make it for Ninty anymore.

:(
Sun 26/10/03 at 17:10
"I love yo... lamp."
Yeah it may be three similar games, but a compilation of them all makes it one very big Star Wars game that we know is good.

It may not directly sell the Xbox, but it provides a bit of extra leverage for people who were swithering over which console to get. A rather unlikely scenario: You want Rogue Squadron and you want GTA 3. PS2 or GC? Oh wait, why not get both on Xbox?

My point is that it may not be a unit shifter, but it will add more worth to getting an Xbox.
Tue 28/10/03 at 15:22
Regular
Yes but I really don't care... it's barley been mentioned in this forum... because it matters not.

And Factor 5 are a Nintendo second party near enough (under the table agreements) so it won't be them porting said games to the x-box but another Lucas Arts company.
Tue 28/10/03 at 17:14
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Is this news actually.. erm.. (not wanting to upset anyone at SR) 100% accurate? I've heard the rumours, but is it actually confirmed?

SR did report about Pilotwings and Mario 128 definately delayed until N5.. which again was a rumour I never saw confirmed anywhere else..
Tue 28/10/03 at 18:18
Regular
This would bother me a bit, for the reasons Notorious Biggles gave, but it's hardly going to detract from Cube sales this Christmas. Besides, I'm sure Nintendo (given their ties with Factor 5), would sort something out that benefitted them. Bah, this is probably all feeble rumour anyway.
Wed 29/10/03 at 00:39
Regular
Exactly is a rumour....

A pretty strange one from that.

But you don't get many people looking at Rogue Squadron and sighing. By the time they get to the X-box those who really want the game would have got a Cube.

Damage done. If they didn't want to get a Cube just for that game it is the job of Nintendo and co. to create more that will appeal to said gamer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.