GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Football = Life"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/09/01 at 13:57
Regular
The season is now it's in prime, the players are at their peaks and the headlines are based around it. Yep of course apart from the title you must have already guessed that the topic was about the one and only football.

Ever since the first kick of the season until the last, the back page of every national newspaper will be based around this fantastic sport? So why? What makes the nation so involved in this sport, after all it's only a game?

Ever since Euro'96 my little eyes have been glued to the big screen, watching every international match within the last 5 years and every important club match for anyone. After David Beckhams dramatic exit in World Cup'98 the nation had uproar of hate and Mr Beckham himself suffered hugely because of it.

After a simple mistake his life was ruined, kidnap threats sent to him, bullets with his name wrote on them delivered to his door, and many papers knew of him as the most hated person in Britain. All over a kick.

Then just a matter of 3 years later, he is now the captain of England and captained them to an historic victory over the feared Germans, to beat them would have been historic but 5-1, that made my life all that better. And the best moment about it all was that Michael Owen put three of them into the back of the net. The 21 year old who was constantly on the bench just a matter of 3 years earlier. His fame all started off when coming off the bench and playing against Argentina and he scored one of the best goals scored by an English player, and done at 18 years old.

After all of that as they say its history, England are now on they’re way to qualify and hopefully give some of the countries a run in for their money. It’s just a matter of time. But as for this topic, I wanted to know your opinions on hooligans? England fans were nearly banned from Euro’00 and all because of the affects of a football game, adults causing trouble around the streets because of a match, I don’t know about you but it sounds a bit immature to me and utterly pointless.

Thanks for reading

The Dogfather
Tue 11/09/01 at 10:45
Regular
Exactly what. I was just stating the truth.
Tue 11/09/01 at 10:45
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Exactly.
Tue 11/09/01 at 10:04
Regular
What headlines, just because we kicked the germans asse's in 2 world wars and now at footy.
Tue 11/09/01 at 09:57
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
I am actually a passionate football fan and quite enjoyed the game, as a game of football - not some kind of national rebirth. I'm just left sickened by the kind of jingoism, nationalism and short-lived bursts of patriotism that follows these occasions. Just look at some of the xenophobic tabloid headlines that accompanied recent England campaigns to understand why I have no time for all this rubbish.
Mon 10/09/01 at 17:32
Regular
"I am your father"
loki wrote:
> I must be one of the few people in England left bored by the week of
> England games. I'm not particularly patriotic (I prefer watching
> France or Ireland generally) although I do enjoy England doing
> well.

It was a good result but all I really felt about it was
> that it seemed a long time between Premiership matches. I would
> happily swap an England World Cup win for a run of good results in
> the Premiership. After all, I chose to follow my team, and support
> them week in week out. It was just an accident that I happened to
> be born in England.

How can you not support your country? You must have been one of those sad people (please don't ban me for this) who happened to be playing chess aginst someone you've never met in Brazil, on the night when England beat Germany, drinking tap water and cheering when you got them in cheek mate whilst the rest of us where down the pub with a pint in our hands cheering when England scored.

Damn you
Mon 10/09/01 at 12:29
Regular
he he
Mon 10/09/01 at 11:57
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Thank you.

**slumps on desk, sobbing**
Mon 10/09/01 at 11:49
Regular
You un-patriotic scum
Mon 10/09/01 at 11:22
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
I must be one of the few people in England left bored by the week of England games. I'm not particularly patriotic (I prefer watching France or Ireland generally) although I do enjoy England doing well.

It was a good result but all I really felt about it was that it seemed a long time between Premiership matches. I would happily swap an England World Cup win for a run of good results in the Premiership. After all, I chose to follow my team, and support them week in week out. It was just an accident that I happened to be born in England.
Sun 09/09/01 at 17:25
This was a very, very good topic that i enjoyed reading.

Well done!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.