GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Evolution"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/10/03 at 10:30
Regular
Evolution is a funny thing. Without it we all could still be monkies (which could actually be quite cool) but enough of that, its gaming I'm here to talk about.
Actually gaming and evolution. Since the 80s we have been blessed with tons of consoles and with each generation they have got better. Well using the word 'better' I mean more powerful but where can gaming go? This is a question I've hard many a time but it is true. Graphics can't improve forever and so what will we be left with?
Never-ending games? Online play? More innovation? About the last one, that's getting extremely rare these days and sadly games that try to be unique can get punished. Remember Shenmue? An amazing game (one of my favourites) but so much money was put into it and when the sales came in... Well you know what happened. Poor Sega.
Online play could be a step however without broadband this is extremely hard and living in a country lacking this facility (in most areas) I can't support this and that's why I'm happy that good old Ninty is encouraging LAN.
So we are left with never-ending games? Surely they could exist in the not so distant future but isn't the feeling of completing a hard game important. I for one love to watch the endings of a good game and a good game will always leave the player wanting more which is great.
So what do you think should happen? Will the industry sink> Or will there be a leap like with 2D to 3D. Who knows, but when it comes, just smile. Even if the industry fails just be thankful for what its given us. Fun.
Wed 29/10/03 at 21:01
Regular
"8==="
MMORPGS are kind of never-ending games.

I suppose any game that lets you create a character could be considered to be 'never-ending', at least until you've played the game with all the possible character designs possible.
Wed 29/10/03 at 11:08
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
I don't think I like the sound of games without an end, games that just go on ad infinitum. For me, there has to be some purpose to the game play, some goal, something to strive for. Sure I can imagine games having lots of goals, one afther the other to work towards, but a never ending games is too much of an intimidating prospect. I want to be able to end a game, have a sense of finality, and move on to the next hopefully at least slightly different game.
Wed 29/10/03 at 10:30
Regular
Evolution is a funny thing. Without it we all could still be monkies (which could actually be quite cool) but enough of that, its gaming I'm here to talk about.
Actually gaming and evolution. Since the 80s we have been blessed with tons of consoles and with each generation they have got better. Well using the word 'better' I mean more powerful but where can gaming go? This is a question I've hard many a time but it is true. Graphics can't improve forever and so what will we be left with?
Never-ending games? Online play? More innovation? About the last one, that's getting extremely rare these days and sadly games that try to be unique can get punished. Remember Shenmue? An amazing game (one of my favourites) but so much money was put into it and when the sales came in... Well you know what happened. Poor Sega.
Online play could be a step however without broadband this is extremely hard and living in a country lacking this facility (in most areas) I can't support this and that's why I'm happy that good old Ninty is encouraging LAN.
So we are left with never-ending games? Surely they could exist in the not so distant future but isn't the feeling of completing a hard game important. I for one love to watch the endings of a good game and a good game will always leave the player wanting more which is great.
So what do you think should happen? Will the industry sink> Or will there be a leap like with 2D to 3D. Who knows, but when it comes, just smile. Even if the industry fails just be thankful for what its given us. Fun.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.