GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Now this IS cool"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/09/01 at 00:55
Regular
OK, Dringo says I can’t write anything good about Sony *cough*, so this is a little something about an idea which I think sounds really cool. Now, Nintys probably won’t be interested in this, and Sonyphiles will know all about it anyway, so I expect zero replies to this :-D

I first read about this game in an OPS2 feature, I think in issue 4. The game is called G-Surfers, and this title excites me even more than GT3, Devil May Cry, Jak and Daxter and possibly MGS2. Interestingly, it’s developed by Blade, not Sony.

Basically, it’s a futuristic racer using hovercars, and bears more than a passing resemblance to WipEout. In fact, it virtually is WipEout. It has hovering crafts, speed boosts, weapons, ludicrous speed and vertigo-inducing tracks. I’m surprised Sony Studios Liverpool haven’t caused a stir about this already. However, it has one quite amazing feature, and when I say amazing, I REALLY mean amazing. You see, the environment you race in is not just a fantasy future-world, no, it’s the entire Earth. Yes, the entire Earth: All of it, right down to every hill, mountain and canyon.

OK, techie paragraph: G-Surfers uses a very advanced procedural rendering engine. Instead of having a model of the earth on the DVD, it uses topographic data from the US military, and generates the landscape as you approach it, using the procedural engine. This means that not only are there zero loading times, but it’s is 100% accurate with no need to change discs. Of course, this places a greater load on the processor, but it has the advantage of not needing to store it all and waste memory.

So, besides the ludicrous size of the playing world, and the 30+ tracks available to race on, perhaps G-Surfers most promising feature is its very own track editor, named Trackman. OPS2 have used a beta version of this, and they report it’s comprehensive, easy to use and very intuitive. You start off by choosing a spot on the globe you want to start off at. You could choose the Grand Canyon, Mount Etna or Tokyo City, it’s up to you. Then, you place a starting point and begin laying your track. Use left and right to steer, up and down to create hills and drops, and use the shoulder buttons to create bank turns. After that, you can put in trackside decorations, textures, loops etc. The Trackman has huge potential, because every object and texture used by the game designers is available to you, so you can create tracks of the game’s quality. Imagine, being able to create a spiral up the Eiffel Tower, a life-threatening plunge into the Grand Canyon or a stomach churning roller coaster around New York. The possibilities are endless.

Naturally, the graphics won’t be as refined as WipEout or Extreme-G 3’s, because of the mind-bogglingly complicated maths going on with generating terrain and the real opponent AI. With a game as ambitious as this, naturally there has to be trade-offs, but I think it will be well worth it.

Now, doesn’t that just sound so ultimately cool? I really can’t wait until October when this is released. I’ll be putting in my pre-order soon. No kidding, if it was a choice between MGS2 and this, I’d choose this baby.
Fri 23/04/10 at 12:15
Regular
Glad to read that the trip went well, I would be interested in the next outing for sure, (as long as volcanic activity has subsided!).

Yup, should be there on Saturday. Can we please put on a game where outraged holiday makers go on the rampage and hunt down unhelpful holiday Reps?
Thu 22/04/10 at 21:53
Regular
Glad to see you're back.
Our chevauchee to Sheffield reaped its rewards - note my comment in the relevant thread.
See you Saturday?
Thu 22/04/10 at 21:26
Regular
Errrm, just got back today after being stranded for a week longer than expected. See you all soon :)
Sat 03/04/10 at 19:53
Regular
Just a note to let you know I am away from Wednesday 7th to Thursday 15th April which means I miss the next games evening.

Nicola won't let me pack any figures to paint so I'll work on the Call of Cthulhu Campaign.

If you haven't give me your character's backgroung, please do so as soon as you can.

Re

Ssendam
Tue 11/09/01 at 20:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Some more very interesting stuff:

http://www.planetps2.com/features/firstlooks/gsurfers/

Man, I love this game.
Tue 11/09/01 at 20:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I just found out the track editor is exactly the same as the one they use to make the tracks in the actual game! Cool!

http://www.gamesradar.com/news/game_news_2337.html
http://www.gamesradar.com/upload_images/news/gsurfers/9.jpg
Tue 11/09/01 at 18:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Merci.
Tue 11/09/01 at 15:09
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Congratulations on your win!
Tue 11/09/01 at 13:35
Regular
"touch`e"
would anyone happen to know how to paste a screenshot image of a game from a web page to a post i wanna do here.

Thanks to anyone that can help
Tue 11/09/01 at 13:32
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It's developed by Blade Interactive and published by Midas Interactive. All their games so far have been for the PS2, and seeing as it's such a small company I doubt they'll go multi format.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.