GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Unbreakable"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/09/01 at 18:59
Regular
Saw this last night. Enjoyed it muchly.

I heard that it is the first of a trilogy, if so what can we expect from the next movie, standard super-hero stuff?

If so would it have been better to release the 'super-hero action movie' first, then this as a prequel?

Still, Samuel L Jackson rules, Bruce Willis must get sick of being in every one of his co-stars shadows.
Sun 16/09/01 at 11:42
Regular
i fell sleep near the end

what happened?
did he turn bad?
Tue 11/09/01 at 10:10
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Goatboy wrote:

> I thought this was a bunch of old man’s pants.

Nail on the head, there.
Mon 10/09/01 at 19:30
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Unbreakable, yes, pacing is a tad slow, but Goatys covered that.

With regards to the trilogy thing, it hasn't really been cleared up. Started off as Shyamalan said the film was like the first act in a super hero's story - where he finds out about his powers. There would then be too more acts, the final one being confronting his nemesis - can't remember the second. Basically it is a formula that can be applied to ANY superhero story - if I could remember the middle act I'd give examples.

This got turned into the idea that a trilogy would appear, which Shyamalan denied, and then sort of mumbled maybe.

I'd say there won't be a trilogy; for one thing takings weren't high enough to suggest anyone would finance it on name alone. Also, Shyamalan next picture is an original title about a family finding crop circles, though I suppose it would be too unlikely for him to come back to it later in his career and when Willis and Jackson were available.
Mon 10/09/01 at 14:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ok, my review of Unbreakable was:

I thought this was a bunch of old man’s pants.

Bruce Willis as "Super Dave Dunn".
Except what were his powers? The ability to put a sleeper hold on a man! "Captain Stranglehold, fear him!" "See how Security Gaurd Man can withstand being slammed into drywall!"

The ending...er...I rented this from Blockbuster on DVD and wanted to take it back and ask for the 2nd disc so I could watch the rest of it,see how it ended.
A speech and then two title cards?
Okaaaay.

Pacing was awful.
Bruce Willis is told by Sam Jackson that he is invincible, he doesn't believe him but his son does.

This takes an hour

Bruce starts to believe it might be true and foils a home invasion
This takes 7 minutes

Bruce is confused and wanders about a lot near tears until he faces Sam, who waffles on and feels better about himself now he has found "my nemesis"

This takes another 20 minutes

The End.

I like Bruce Willis and I love Sam Jackson...but I wish they had read the script before they agreed to it and saved everyone the effort of Midnight Shamalamadingong (or whatever his name is) to have a nice big plot jerk and spoil my evening.

Rent Traffic instead, stuff happens in that one
Mon 10/09/01 at 12:30
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I thought Unbreakable was complete predictable yawn-inducing pap fresh from the factories of Cheddarsville. A few people walked out of the cinema half way through, and the entire group that camewith me all thought about doing the same.

At least it gave us something to laugh about afterwards down the pub.
Mon 10/09/01 at 10:33
I'd say Bruce Willis was overshadowed in the Sixth Sense by Haley Joel Osment. And what about Brad Pitt in Twelve Monkeys?
Sun 09/09/01 at 19:35
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Well I've only seen the first one but I'm pretty sure that the second and third will be exactly the same so if you like the first then the second and third are probably worth a rent.

However, I thought the first one was poor so I shall never be renting them. Mind you, Robert Patrick is in one of the sequels.

:)
Sun 09/09/01 at 16:47
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Yes, I thought it was good too.

The thing is about movies with a twist though, is that you're always left a little dubious about sequels, which often fail to do as well.

Which reminds me, I've yet to see dusk till dawn 2 (or 3) - anyone know if it's worth renting?
Sun 09/09/01 at 15:53
Regular
No way was he over-shadowed in Die Hard. Alan Rickman was good, but Willis was better. Best line - Yippee Ki Yay. But it is true about Samuel L Jackson overshadowing him. You'd think after Die Hard 3 and Unbreakable, he'd know enough not to do another movie with him.
Sun 09/09/01 at 15:22
Regular
"I am your father"
The_Vottanator wrote:
> When is Bruce Willis ever in the shadow of his co-star.

Correction
Die Hard
> - Yes

Alan Rickman stole the show with his dodgy accent and even dodgier ways of making'em talk. Great film none the less with that all great line,

'Sir this line is reserved for emergencies only'
'No sugar (different word used in film) lady does it look like I'm ordering a pizza.

As for the topic I did enjoy Unbreakable I first watched it at the flicks and thought great things about it but when watched in the comfort of my own home, I then noticed quite how long and boring it really was. Nothing happened until the last 5 minutes, it was like watching Eastenders 'Who shot Phil' we'd been waiting for all that time then when it finally happened it didn't happen to well.

I was impressed with the ending and I doubt most people would have got it before they saw it, unlike 'The Sixth Sense' when an hour inwards and we all realised.......

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.