GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Born on the 4th of July"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 08/09/01 at 11:59
Regular
Due to the sheer shock of discovering SR don’t yet have the great release of this superior film in stock I decided to write thisin hope that the people of SR will revolt against them until they bring this film into stock. Only kidding but please SR get it in stock, it's a superior film.

Oliver Stone’s feelings about the Vietnam conflict obviously run very deep. In Platoon he relived the horror of a war he fought in and returned to tell the tale. In Born on the Fourth of July he faces the trauma of coming home to an anti-Vietnam America.

Tom Cruise stars as Ron Kovic, a young man who wanted to be a solder and got his chance in the Vietnam War. Unfortunately, he's injured in battle and paralysed from the chest down. He comes back to a country that was against the war and not sympathetic to him - he spends time in a hospital that can barely care for him and the other soldiers who were injured in the war. At home, he runs into a different battle - becoming an anti-war activist. Looking back on this performance, it's really a remarkable one from Tom Cruise, easily one of his best.

Like many of Stone’s best films, this is a hard-hitting and uncomfortably raw analysis of the human condition, with Tom Cruise giving by far his best performance to date. I think there's a lot of soul, especially in Cruise's performance, that makes the rather lengthy running time seem like much less, simply because this character involves us. You feel for him and start to see the world through his eyes and the ending for me was just sheer perfection, leaving you knowing there is hope in the world. Given such a strong film, it’s ironic that Columbia chose to make such a poor attempt at putting it onto DVD.

Every time Stone comes to making a film, he tried to show us the bad side of everything he can think of. And he has done it in this film, the dark gritty side of the war that the American people refused to believe and just turned their heads in the other direction.

The film gets even better as Kovic finds himself in Mexico trying to escape. We learn more about his character, and Cruise adds even more layers to the already detailed performance as Kovic, who gets darker before he finds his way back through protest of the war. A great and powerful film, but it's very unfortunate the picture quality here does not do live up to the film.

Unfortunately, the low quality of the transfer isn’t the only disappointing aspect to this disc. The ‘extras’ are limited to a single trailer and a few pages of production notes. Where’s the Making of documentary or the lost scenes?

It seems most of the disc has been taken up with the six soundtracks. It is in Dolby 5.1, with four others in Surround and a further two in mono! Faced with such a huge selection of soundtracks but no decent visuals, our best advice is to turn the TV off and pump up the hi-fi.

This is a disappointing re-hash of the Region 1 release, and an insult to the excellent work of Oliver Stone and Tom Cruise, there is nothing that makes this DVD any better then any of the others apart from it’s superb sound options. Overall Gladiator and Hannibal will put this film to shame with the special features, but what they can’t do is make such an impact on you, that you’ll be put off the army for life.

Thanks for reading,

The Dogfather
Sun 09/09/01 at 14:08
Regular
"I am your father"
The_Vottanator wrote:
> I've never seen Born on the 4th of July but The Deerhunter has the
> perfect ending in my opinion.

:)

Sadly that film is just 20 years past my time, I'd love to watch it though, maybe if they released it on DVD........
Sun 09/09/01 at 10:38
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I've never seen Born on the 4th of July but The Deerhunter has the perfect ending in my opinion.

:)
Sat 08/09/01 at 11:59
Regular
"I am your father"
Due to the sheer shock of discovering SR don’t yet have the great release of this superior film in stock I decided to write thisin hope that the people of SR will revolt against them until they bring this film into stock. Only kidding but please SR get it in stock, it's a superior film.

Oliver Stone’s feelings about the Vietnam conflict obviously run very deep. In Platoon he relived the horror of a war he fought in and returned to tell the tale. In Born on the Fourth of July he faces the trauma of coming home to an anti-Vietnam America.

Tom Cruise stars as Ron Kovic, a young man who wanted to be a solder and got his chance in the Vietnam War. Unfortunately, he's injured in battle and paralysed from the chest down. He comes back to a country that was against the war and not sympathetic to him - he spends time in a hospital that can barely care for him and the other soldiers who were injured in the war. At home, he runs into a different battle - becoming an anti-war activist. Looking back on this performance, it's really a remarkable one from Tom Cruise, easily one of his best.

Like many of Stone’s best films, this is a hard-hitting and uncomfortably raw analysis of the human condition, with Tom Cruise giving by far his best performance to date. I think there's a lot of soul, especially in Cruise's performance, that makes the rather lengthy running time seem like much less, simply because this character involves us. You feel for him and start to see the world through his eyes and the ending for me was just sheer perfection, leaving you knowing there is hope in the world. Given such a strong film, it’s ironic that Columbia chose to make such a poor attempt at putting it onto DVD.

Every time Stone comes to making a film, he tried to show us the bad side of everything he can think of. And he has done it in this film, the dark gritty side of the war that the American people refused to believe and just turned their heads in the other direction.

The film gets even better as Kovic finds himself in Mexico trying to escape. We learn more about his character, and Cruise adds even more layers to the already detailed performance as Kovic, who gets darker before he finds his way back through protest of the war. A great and powerful film, but it's very unfortunate the picture quality here does not do live up to the film.

Unfortunately, the low quality of the transfer isn’t the only disappointing aspect to this disc. The ‘extras’ are limited to a single trailer and a few pages of production notes. Where’s the Making of documentary or the lost scenes?

It seems most of the disc has been taken up with the six soundtracks. It is in Dolby 5.1, with four others in Surround and a further two in mono! Faced with such a huge selection of soundtracks but no decent visuals, our best advice is to turn the TV off and pump up the hi-fi.

This is a disappointing re-hash of the Region 1 release, and an insult to the excellent work of Oliver Stone and Tom Cruise, there is nothing that makes this DVD any better then any of the others apart from it’s superb sound options. Overall Gladiator and Hannibal will put this film to shame with the special features, but what they can’t do is make such an impact on you, that you’ll be put off the army for life.

Thanks for reading,

The Dogfather

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.