GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shaneo Trying To Get Published..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/09/01 at 21:38
Regular
After playing Final Fantasy 9, I was inspired to write my own stories. Now, at 13, my chances of getting published are very silm, or are they?

No.

There is a service on the internet called E-Books, where you sell your books online. Say, you could sell a download for £5 each. You send a company your work and if they accept it, you will get cash coming in soon hopefully from royalties etc. I am currently working on my first novel, Chaos Crisis.

I'll keep you updated by my sig.
Fri 07/09/01 at 21:38
Regular
"( . ) ( . )"
After playing Final Fantasy 9, I was inspired to write my own stories. Now, at 13, my chances of getting published are very silm, or are they?

No.

There is a service on the internet called E-Books, where you sell your books online. Say, you could sell a download for £5 each. You send a company your work and if they accept it, you will get cash coming in soon hopefully from royalties etc. I am currently working on my first novel, Chaos Crisis.

I'll keep you updated by my sig.
Fri 07/09/01 at 23:03
better idea:

Write songs... bear with me.

Ok, I write a song. I send it to a company, and they get, say, robbie williams to make it (don't ask me why I chose him!).

So, he goes on TOTP before the song comes out. he gets £0 for this- he is promoting his song! I get £600 for EVERY time this song is heard or shown on TV... live or in an ad or whatever!

Before song release, radios play the song. Robbie gets £0. I get £60 for every time it is played. Now, Radio 1 like the song, so it is played AT LEAST 4 times a day. £240. There are 10 major radio stations. £2400/day. It os shown on mtv a couple of times a day. £3600/day. =£25,200/week! Robbie has made nothing yet!

Then the song actually come out a week later. And then robbie gets money from royalties. As do you.

Song writer are LIGHT YEARS ahead of singers!
Sat 08/09/01 at 00:29
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
What you're talking about, politely, is absolute nonsense.

If you pursue a career as a songwriter, the only money you get is from publishing.
Robbie Williams would get money for recording fees, performance monies and appearance fees.

Any repeat fees you get are from new artists recording the songs, any repeat fees go to the label and the artist.
Not whoever signs the publishing deal.

You get a one off payment for the track, and you sign a basic line contract waiving any future claim on monies earned from the track.

It's a tricky business when you sign contracts in a band/music situation.
You go from 4 blokes making music, to dividing any monies between publishing, recording and performance royalties.
Seeing as you would only be party to the publishing aspect, then you can sit back and watch Robbie Williams soar to success whilst you enjoy your one off payment.
Sat 08/09/01 at 00:36
errrr... so u have spoken to a song writer, who used to be with one of the biggest bands in the country's history... (I had a lecteur from a member of the springsteens. He writes songs for many acts, and used to perform with the beatles as a warm up for his act)

Not a single thing I said is wrong. The reaons writers get money for this is that their is a big organisation of songwriters who essentially ask for the money for royalty rights to songs. SINGERS get NOTHIGN for their song on the radio.. UNLESS they wrote it (ie, they are the song writter).
Sat 08/09/01 at 00:39
Oh, and the average income for a song writer with a song that is praised to be number one is £50,000 a week in this country.

Times all the prices (ie, £60 for radiom, and £600 for TV) by 6 to get the fees you get from america! And also bear in mind the country has more radio stations and tc stations :)
Sat 08/09/01 at 02:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Logan wrote:
> errrr... so u have spoken to a song writer

I am a songwriter.
And a drummer and we signed contracts when a management company took us on.
The main percentage of monies earned is from publishing deals, ie who writes the song.
However, there is also performance rights (playing live) and recording rights (time spent in studio).
The usual split between publishing/performance/recording is 50/30/20.

The reaons writers get
> money for this is that their is a big organisation of songwriters
> who essentially ask for the money for royalty rights to songs.

No, writers get the money from the publishing side, with a possible plus of royalty payments from being played.
Again, the lion's share goes to the publishing recepient, but the performer and recording artist also get their share, it's all tied into management contract and performance negociations.

> SINGERS get NOTHIGN for their song on the radio.. UNLESS they wrote
> it (ie, they are the song writter).

Singers get performance and recording royalties. Because they recorded it and performed it live, although with most deals, the performance payment is usually in the form of a bonus to the recoring part, more of a salary.

Sorry, my previous post sounded a bti hostile, but as someone that is involved with this personally, I just wanted to explain how music deals and publishing contracts work for 95% of the time.
No offence meant mate.
Sat 08/09/01 at 02:32
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
forgive the typos with that last post, tis very late and I have been Operation Flashpoint(ing) it for 3hrs.

Insomnia isn't too bad at the weekends, no work to worry about
Sat 08/09/01 at 02:35
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I hate it when newbies think they're right.
Sat 08/09/01 at 02:42
Regular
"I am your father"
Turbonutter wrote:
> I hate it when newbies think they're right.

Sorry master. Forgive me, you were once a newbie. Did you know that?
Sat 08/09/01 at 02:50
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Heh, only for a couple of days though. I have learnt not to argue with people who blatently know more about it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.