GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I thought PES3 was supposed to be BETTER..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pro Evolution Soccer 3'.
Sat 01/11/03 at 19:06
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Everyone's been raving about it, but really, it isn't that good, is it? Here's some points that spring to mind:

The players are sluggish and lethargic, moving a hell of a lot slower than in PES2.

They always stop for a moment before a shot, often ruining the whole play.

Most of the opposing team seems to end up in their own box, and all following you. You don't stand a chance most of the time.

You have to be facing the goal exactly to have any chance of scoring. Even one degree off and you'll miss, or sometimes they just spoon it anyway. I've had great strikers like Raul just completely waste an excellent chance and nearly have it go for a throw in for no apparent reason.

Free kicks are given away for literally nothing. 90% of the free kicks that have been given against me I have no idea why they were given. I've been in possession, gone to shoot or pass, the ball has hit another player and it's a free kick.

The players have become even more loose with the ball; just the slightest knock will lose you possession. When you try and tackle someone, you get the ball and immediately trip up and lose it - this happens a good 8/9 tenths of the time. Then another player runs in, gets the ball, loses the ball, another player runs in, etc... It can go on for about five minutes until it finally gets out of the scramble.

All the menus and text have been drastically changed and look pathetic. Very bare and amateurish.

Am I missing something? I think I prefer Pro Evo 2.
Sun 02/11/03 at 22:59
"High polygon count"
Do you remember *THAT* goal that Henry scored against ManYoo at Highbury a couple of seasons ago? Where he had his back to goal, chipped it up, swivelled, and cracked it in over Barthez head?

I was playing my mate - me as Arsenal, him as Liverpool - and while in control of Henry I hit the wrong button - cross instead of shoot - in exactly the same position as that goal, and almost the exact same thing happened. Two major differences - there was no flick first, and it came back off the post. Looked amazing in the replay! You could Jerky Dudfeck watching it sail over his head! :-)
Sun 02/11/03 at 22:48
Regular
"Evil Always Wins!"
The less time and space you have on the ball and the fast its going if passed, the quicker the meter will go up. Makes sense.
Sun 02/11/03 at 22:37
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
AfroJoe wrote:
> It's easy to find space so that this doesn't effect the overall
> outcome of the shot.

I can't! That's the point! You pass to someone in space, they receive it, shoot, then the moment of waiting *for no reason* comes in, and by the time he actually shoots it they've caught you. What's the point of it? It wasn't in PES2, it wasn't even in ISS way back whenever. Even if there are enough chances to get around it, it shouldn't be there anyway.

> Don't sprint, and you should quite easily be able to get into
> position for a shot. Hang about on the edge of the area and keep
> running up and down on the line until you have a chance to shoot.

I can get into position fine, I usually pass to someone in space then shoot, without pressing sprint. But the defenders always seem to get to me in time because of the lag.

> Not really - it's just that if you hit the ball when sprinting the
> shot duffs up... fairly realistically, too. Slow down to hit.

As above, I am doing. An example of what I'm talking about happened a few minutes ago - I passed it to a player right in front of the goal, at the same time as the keeper came out. This meant that when the player actually shot it he was alongside the keeper; an open goal, he couldn't possibly have got there. What does the guy do? Spoons it to the side. I was facing the goal and everything, didn't overcharge the shot, and it wasn't a crappy striker or team I was using.

> I'd say the gameplay matters a little more than menus. My take on
> things, anyway.

Mine too - which is why I've given negative points of the gameplay as well.

Something I forgot to mention: is there a way of making the shot meter less sensitive? I always seem to hit it too hard, and it isn't my fault because I look where the line goes to. For example, a tap in the other day, using the smallest press of the button, made the player blast it into the top of the net. I was right next to the thing! I could've been on the six yard line and it would've gone over the bar. And again today a shot went miles overhead, and the shot meter was less than half full. It's pointless having the capability of that hard a shot if it'll never be useful.
Sun 02/11/03 at 20:43
Regular
"Evil Always Wins!"
I'd also like to give some advice on how to make the matches more open. Cross more. The reason you often find all of the opposition behind the ball in their own area is because you are trying to skin them all running through the middle. Use the flanks. I also like winging it from one side to the other. Catches the opposition of their guard. And unlike PES1 and PES2, NEVER sprint if there is an opponent in front of you. You WILL get tackled. I repeat, you WILL. Try pressing R2 and then a direction.
Also, I like to make my team's mentality very attacking. I used to find my strikers were often on their own up front. Try this and you will play better. I guarantee.
Sun 02/11/03 at 20:40
Regular
"Evil Always Wins!"
I actually prefer the poor goalkeeping, it is a lot more realistic. Last night I was watching Real Madrid play, and Casillas had a hard shot going straight at him, but it was too hard to hold the ball so he parried it away, just like on Pro Evo.
My complaints on the game have to be the way freekicks are given, the tightness of the play sometimes and, of course, the lack of licenses. I wish they'd get them, I really do.
Sun 02/11/03 at 18:42
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Oh they are! Trust me...
Sun 02/11/03 at 18:41
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
The thing with the referees is, you don't know the difference between them. They have names but that is about it! They might not even be different?!
Sun 02/11/03 at 18:36
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
In my opinion, Pro evo 3 is a fantastic game. Afro Joe took the words right out of my mouth, strangly, i agree with every point, apart from free kicks. Admitidly, the decisionss are a bit harsh, but there is the option of changing the referee, which changes how strict he is.
Sun 02/11/03 at 14:54
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
I think that the keepers are just right to be honest, not too FIFA-ish and still let in the odd one or too which they should have got too. Either you are playing it on 1star, the opposition are putting Robby Carlos in goal or you're just too damn good for the game.
Sun 02/11/03 at 00:13
Regular
"Notable"
AfroJoe wrote:
> Orgasmo Malcior wrote:
> you didint mention the most obvious that the goalies are absolutely
> pathetic and its hard NOT to score which ruins the whole game 100%.
>
> Stop playing it on 2-star, then.

i dont play on 2 star and it dont matter there stil totally poor it dosent matter how much you defend your precious game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.