GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gravspace (iPhone/iPod Touch)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Gravspace'.
Wed 24/03/10 at 22:31
"possibly impossible"
8-Bit fun
If you're old enough to remember the BBC Micro then you may remember a game called Thrust. It was basically a game about gravity and using thrust to pull against it.

Gravspace is a bit like this but updated for the modern age and the iPhone.

Getting the Thrust of it
The aim is to pick up energy pods and bring them to a set location. The challenge comes in the form of gravity itself which is constantly pulling your ship down and on the use of thrusters to move around, not to mention the enemies who are, as usual, intent on stopping you at all costs.

Push it
Getting the hang of the game requires a bit of skill, just like in the good old days. It'll be at least a few goes before you stop hurtling head first into the hills but don't let this put you off. Once you've mastered the flying, Gravspace really comes into its own.

That said, the iPhone touch controls are probably the hardest way to play a game like this and although they've been well thought out it's still not entirely straight-forward.

On a Mission
The game is broken down into 14 different missions, each harder than the last. Once you've got used to flying in open space with your pod the game throws you into caves where any contact with a wall is deadly. Luckily you have a shield which is limited but recharges, it's another element of strategy to the game that served the original well and works just as well here.

The View from Space
Graphically Gravspace is pretty tight, it has some nice blaster effects and everything is clear and easy to see. There are a few rough edges but for the price it's not surprising. Nothing to spoil the gameplay though.

Sounding out
A nice feature is that you can play your own music while you play the game, a bit of Led Zeppelin for concentration maybe? It's always nice to have these extra features added.

Pulling you in?
Gravspace may take a while to get in to and it may be too hard for some but those fans of Thrust and similar gravity based games should enjoy this iPhone game.

Although the controls are a bit iffy at times, for 59p the game is well worth downloading if you fancy a challenge.

7/10
Wed 24/03/10 at 22:31
"possibly impossible"
8-Bit fun
If you're old enough to remember the BBC Micro then you may remember a game called Thrust. It was basically a game about gravity and using thrust to pull against it.

Gravspace is a bit like this but updated for the modern age and the iPhone.

Getting the Thrust of it
The aim is to pick up energy pods and bring them to a set location. The challenge comes in the form of gravity itself which is constantly pulling your ship down and on the use of thrusters to move around, not to mention the enemies who are, as usual, intent on stopping you at all costs.

Push it
Getting the hang of the game requires a bit of skill, just like in the good old days. It'll be at least a few goes before you stop hurtling head first into the hills but don't let this put you off. Once you've mastered the flying, Gravspace really comes into its own.

That said, the iPhone touch controls are probably the hardest way to play a game like this and although they've been well thought out it's still not entirely straight-forward.

On a Mission
The game is broken down into 14 different missions, each harder than the last. Once you've got used to flying in open space with your pod the game throws you into caves where any contact with a wall is deadly. Luckily you have a shield which is limited but recharges, it's another element of strategy to the game that served the original well and works just as well here.

The View from Space
Graphically Gravspace is pretty tight, it has some nice blaster effects and everything is clear and easy to see. There are a few rough edges but for the price it's not surprising. Nothing to spoil the gameplay though.

Sounding out
A nice feature is that you can play your own music while you play the game, a bit of Led Zeppelin for concentration maybe? It's always nice to have these extra features added.

Pulling you in?
Gravspace may take a while to get in to and it may be too hard for some but those fans of Thrust and similar gravity based games should enjoy this iPhone game.

Although the controls are a bit iffy at times, for 59p the game is well worth downloading if you fancy a challenge.

7/10
Thu 25/03/10 at 08:01
Regular
Thanks for reviewing GravSpace.

I am the developer of this game.
Just want to let you know that v.1.2 is in the works and will feature some control options and tuning to make the game easier to play for people new to this genre.

More information, screenshots and videos about the game can be found at:
http://sites.google.com/site/gravspace/home

Cheers,
Paul.
Thu 25/03/10 at 09:42
"possibly impossible"
HKPaul wrote:
> Thanks for reviewing GravSpace.
>
> I am the developer of this game.
> Just want to let you know that v.1.2 is in the works and will
> feature some control options and tuning to make the game easier
> to play for people new to this genre.
>
> More information, screenshots and videos about the game can be
> found at:
> http://sites.google.com/site/gravspace/home
>
> Cheers,
> Paul.

Nice to hear from the developer. I'll take a look when the update comes out and re-review. Nice to hear that the controls are getting easier to use and look forward to seeing your next game.
Thu 25/03/10 at 16:59
Regular
"How Ironic"
Too many Pauls on this thread! Nice review pb ;)
Wed 07/04/10 at 05:53
Regular
Just want to let you know that my update to GravSpace was approved yesterday - hope you get a chance to try it out:

V1.2 now allows control of the game without accelerometer, using a rotary touch input.
There are also more control button layout options for your convenience.
This release features 4 difficulty levels from 'Novice' (no crashing, auto-aiming) to 'Thrust Master' (high gravity).
A number of improvements have been made to the game dynamics (reduced shield bounce) and the scoring system now features bonuses based on difficulty level.
Some optimisations have also been made to make the game run more smoothly.
Finally, the game will now auto-flip the display based on the device orientation when in the menus.

Paul.
Wed 14/04/10 at 22:46
"possibly impossible"
New controls really do make a difference and some bug fixes seem to have sorted out a few other issues.

Well worth downloading now, even more so than since my original review.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.