GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Bionic Commando"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Bionic Commando'.
Wed 24/03/10 at 09:19
Regular
"And in last place.."
Bionic Commando was a game I loved on the Spectrum when I was a youngster. It was rock hard and I struggled to get past level 2 but my constant failure was always a pleasure. When Bionic Commando was announced for the 360 and PS3 the joyful memories of the Speccy version came flooding back. Hopes were high after the well received Bionic Commando Rearmed on Xbox Live and PSN but my hopes were quickly dashed by Rearmed’s big brother and I say that having spent £4.50 on buying the game brand new.
You play as en ex-bionic commando who went against a direct order which resulted in some deaths, found himself court marshalled and subsequently thrown onto Death Row. But wouldn’t you just know it, the same organisation that saw to his conviction now need his help which leads to a bit of tension between your character and the voice in your ear instructing you on your missions. Your Bionic Commando is thrown into a war zone and tasked with cleaning it up, reluctantly he agrees. Unfortunately.

Bionic Commando gives you time to get familiar with the controls via a little tutorial section. It’s short and sweet and a good way to practice the moves which will help you in your task. Of course, in true video game fashion you start off in the game without most of these moves and abilities. Clearly the time in the slammer has not been kind to your commando’s memory and he has forgotten most of his abilities. Strange then that this man is tasked with saving the day, he’s lucky he can remember his name. Naturally as the game progresses it all comes flooding back and he remembers his abilities one by one as the game progresses. It doesn’t take much to job the memory of a bionic commando, the voice in his ear tells him that the walls are paper thin and suddenly he remembers how to throw. It’s a silly and unconvincing as it sounds.

Graphically the game is perfectly decent. It’s not the best graphical example of what the current systems can do but it is certainly better than the Spectrum version, the only time I can say that about the latest offering. The city which is your playground certainly looks a mess, there is devastation everywhere at street level and it is well detailed but the buildings on the whole seem a little unscathed which destroys the illusion a little. Another illusion is the size of the play area. Make your way to the top of a building and you will be presented with an impressive city landscape as far as the eye can see but in reality you won’t be able to get to most of it. The game replaces invisible walls with radioactive areas, enter a radioactive area and you had best retreat very quickly. At times the area actually open to you is surprisingly small so claustrophobics be warned.

The voice in the ear gives you the objectives for the level ahead and it is up to you to make your way to the required destinations any way in which you can. Along the way you will meet some resistance from the bad guys but generally there is only 2 or 3 of them which are easily deal with. When confronted with numbers like this it seems strange that an army couldn’t be sent in instead of a single grumpy bionic commando with some memory issues. You can deal with the bad guys using the bionic arm, firearms, punches or a combination each. The bad guys don’t tend to offer much in the way of an obstacle, particularly when you remember how to throw. Picking up a car and taking out a few bad guys with a well placed throw is always a pleasure. The gun play is a little basic, this is no Gears of War but with a bionic arm, who really cares about the guns?

Getting from A to B is where the problems start to take over. Having a bionic arm should be fun, swinging from lamp post to beam to ledge on a building should be a joy. You have visions of a mechanical Spider-man effortlessly swinging about , if only those visions matched the reality. The reach of the mechanical arm is a little short and the general usage is all a little fiddly for my liking. It is all too easy to misjudge when to release from the swing and you will either hit the ground straight away or fly right over your intended attachment point. It’s telling that the toughest part of the game for me so far has been a section where I had to swing over a river using several attachment points. It took me a remarkable number of attempts to get past this and having played through a similar sort of section with ease in Spider-man 2, the frustration was just increased. It would be slightly less painful if the commando had a last ditch attachment to stop death just like Batman in Arkham Asylum but he doesn’t and all too often a simple timing error sends you right back to the last checkpoint. The checkpoints are not regular enough when a simple mistake can end your progress. Water and the radioactive regions offer similar frustrations. The weight of the bionic arm makes swimming impossible so water is to be avoided at all costs or you will have a frantic few seconds trying to find something to grab onto to haul the commando out of the water. Again, with the ease at which the swinging can be misjudged having an unwelcome splash about can be frequent. The radioactive regions also cause death quickly. These areas are highlighted with a blue tinge but it’s not always obvious where the radiation actually starts so you will find yourself attached to the side of a building, water below, the radioactive symbol flashing and no means of escape. Your commando is no Spider-man, leaping back off the radioactive building to safety is not an option. With the limited checkpoint system, the ease at which you can die becomes very frustrating. All too often death is not cause by the enemies, it’s caused by the restrictions of the game itself and its controls.

Grappling your way about the environment is rarely graceful, you will have moments where it all strings together well and you think you have finally mastered it but you will soon be corrected. My commando is going to be black and blue by the time I reach the end, I bump my way from wall to wall, fumbling about with the arm rather than using it like a well trained commando. At times I also find walking along a beam to be a challenge, the twitchy controls means walking off the edge is a common feature and I find myself using the bionic arm for stability. With battling to move around the city fluidly I can’t help but wish the commando’s bionic abilities extended beyond the arm. Crackdown style jumping would improve things considerably. Saying that, even though the arm is the only bionic part to your commando, he can leap from great heights without even spraining his ankle which is just as well, I have enough bother working my way up the buildings with the bionic arm, having to work my way back down might be too much to take.

In addition to the mission objectives there are a multitude of challenges to complete. These are standard gameplay challenges along the likes of taking out X number of bad guys with a single grenade. A lot of the achievements and trophies lie within these challenges so if you are an achievement/trophy w***e then you will need to pay attention to them. I personally find the challenges break up the gameplay a little. You complete one challenge whether intentionally or not and you are notified of this and notified of the challenge unlocked by your progress but you have to halt the game to read up on the challenge. It just makes it all a little disjointed at times and the further I progress in the game the less attention I am paying to these challenges.

Whilst the general bad guys tend to be easy to deal with, the snipers offer a little more of a challenge especially when there are a few of them scattered around the same area. It is made a little harder with my inability to use the bionic arm fluidly. As well as the general cannon fodder type of enemy, you will be confronted with small gunship type enemies and very mobile mechs. Both can be a little stubborn but tend to be easily enough to take out once you concentrate on the weaknesses, running out of ammo will be the only problem with the gunships. Boss battles also make an appearance and certainly up the challenge. The first one you face is a large, well armed helicopter and the game does seem to come more alive at this point as you scramble to the get the supplied rocket launcher whilst avoiding the constant burst of gunfire.

Bionic Commando does offer online multiplayer action but I’ll admit that I’ve not ventured in yet, I was hoping to wait till I’ve mastered the controls but I’m not sure this is going to happen.

There is no doubt the controls could be better and they do offer a hurdle to get over. This game could have been so much fun but all I’m left with is the memories of the 8-bit version.

5/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 24/03/10 at 09:19
Regular
"And in last place.."
Bionic Commando was a game I loved on the Spectrum when I was a youngster. It was rock hard and I struggled to get past level 2 but my constant failure was always a pleasure. When Bionic Commando was announced for the 360 and PS3 the joyful memories of the Speccy version came flooding back. Hopes were high after the well received Bionic Commando Rearmed on Xbox Live and PSN but my hopes were quickly dashed by Rearmed’s big brother and I say that having spent £4.50 on buying the game brand new.
You play as en ex-bionic commando who went against a direct order which resulted in some deaths, found himself court marshalled and subsequently thrown onto Death Row. But wouldn’t you just know it, the same organisation that saw to his conviction now need his help which leads to a bit of tension between your character and the voice in your ear instructing you on your missions. Your Bionic Commando is thrown into a war zone and tasked with cleaning it up, reluctantly he agrees. Unfortunately.

Bionic Commando gives you time to get familiar with the controls via a little tutorial section. It’s short and sweet and a good way to practice the moves which will help you in your task. Of course, in true video game fashion you start off in the game without most of these moves and abilities. Clearly the time in the slammer has not been kind to your commando’s memory and he has forgotten most of his abilities. Strange then that this man is tasked with saving the day, he’s lucky he can remember his name. Naturally as the game progresses it all comes flooding back and he remembers his abilities one by one as the game progresses. It doesn’t take much to job the memory of a bionic commando, the voice in his ear tells him that the walls are paper thin and suddenly he remembers how to throw. It’s a silly and unconvincing as it sounds.

Graphically the game is perfectly decent. It’s not the best graphical example of what the current systems can do but it is certainly better than the Spectrum version, the only time I can say that about the latest offering. The city which is your playground certainly looks a mess, there is devastation everywhere at street level and it is well detailed but the buildings on the whole seem a little unscathed which destroys the illusion a little. Another illusion is the size of the play area. Make your way to the top of a building and you will be presented with an impressive city landscape as far as the eye can see but in reality you won’t be able to get to most of it. The game replaces invisible walls with radioactive areas, enter a radioactive area and you had best retreat very quickly. At times the area actually open to you is surprisingly small so claustrophobics be warned.

The voice in the ear gives you the objectives for the level ahead and it is up to you to make your way to the required destinations any way in which you can. Along the way you will meet some resistance from the bad guys but generally there is only 2 or 3 of them which are easily deal with. When confronted with numbers like this it seems strange that an army couldn’t be sent in instead of a single grumpy bionic commando with some memory issues. You can deal with the bad guys using the bionic arm, firearms, punches or a combination each. The bad guys don’t tend to offer much in the way of an obstacle, particularly when you remember how to throw. Picking up a car and taking out a few bad guys with a well placed throw is always a pleasure. The gun play is a little basic, this is no Gears of War but with a bionic arm, who really cares about the guns?

Getting from A to B is where the problems start to take over. Having a bionic arm should be fun, swinging from lamp post to beam to ledge on a building should be a joy. You have visions of a mechanical Spider-man effortlessly swinging about , if only those visions matched the reality. The reach of the mechanical arm is a little short and the general usage is all a little fiddly for my liking. It is all too easy to misjudge when to release from the swing and you will either hit the ground straight away or fly right over your intended attachment point. It’s telling that the toughest part of the game for me so far has been a section where I had to swing over a river using several attachment points. It took me a remarkable number of attempts to get past this and having played through a similar sort of section with ease in Spider-man 2, the frustration was just increased. It would be slightly less painful if the commando had a last ditch attachment to stop death just like Batman in Arkham Asylum but he doesn’t and all too often a simple timing error sends you right back to the last checkpoint. The checkpoints are not regular enough when a simple mistake can end your progress. Water and the radioactive regions offer similar frustrations. The weight of the bionic arm makes swimming impossible so water is to be avoided at all costs or you will have a frantic few seconds trying to find something to grab onto to haul the commando out of the water. Again, with the ease at which the swinging can be misjudged having an unwelcome splash about can be frequent. The radioactive regions also cause death quickly. These areas are highlighted with a blue tinge but it’s not always obvious where the radiation actually starts so you will find yourself attached to the side of a building, water below, the radioactive symbol flashing and no means of escape. Your commando is no Spider-man, leaping back off the radioactive building to safety is not an option. With the limited checkpoint system, the ease at which you can die becomes very frustrating. All too often death is not cause by the enemies, it’s caused by the restrictions of the game itself and its controls.

Grappling your way about the environment is rarely graceful, you will have moments where it all strings together well and you think you have finally mastered it but you will soon be corrected. My commando is going to be black and blue by the time I reach the end, I bump my way from wall to wall, fumbling about with the arm rather than using it like a well trained commando. At times I also find walking along a beam to be a challenge, the twitchy controls means walking off the edge is a common feature and I find myself using the bionic arm for stability. With battling to move around the city fluidly I can’t help but wish the commando’s bionic abilities extended beyond the arm. Crackdown style jumping would improve things considerably. Saying that, even though the arm is the only bionic part to your commando, he can leap from great heights without even spraining his ankle which is just as well, I have enough bother working my way up the buildings with the bionic arm, having to work my way back down might be too much to take.

In addition to the mission objectives there are a multitude of challenges to complete. These are standard gameplay challenges along the likes of taking out X number of bad guys with a single grenade. A lot of the achievements and trophies lie within these challenges so if you are an achievement/trophy w***e then you will need to pay attention to them. I personally find the challenges break up the gameplay a little. You complete one challenge whether intentionally or not and you are notified of this and notified of the challenge unlocked by your progress but you have to halt the game to read up on the challenge. It just makes it all a little disjointed at times and the further I progress in the game the less attention I am paying to these challenges.

Whilst the general bad guys tend to be easy to deal with, the snipers offer a little more of a challenge especially when there are a few of them scattered around the same area. It is made a little harder with my inability to use the bionic arm fluidly. As well as the general cannon fodder type of enemy, you will be confronted with small gunship type enemies and very mobile mechs. Both can be a little stubborn but tend to be easily enough to take out once you concentrate on the weaknesses, running out of ammo will be the only problem with the gunships. Boss battles also make an appearance and certainly up the challenge. The first one you face is a large, well armed helicopter and the game does seem to come more alive at this point as you scramble to the get the supplied rocket launcher whilst avoiding the constant burst of gunfire.

Bionic Commando does offer online multiplayer action but I’ll admit that I’ve not ventured in yet, I was hoping to wait till I’ve mastered the controls but I’m not sure this is going to happen.

There is no doubt the controls could be better and they do offer a hurdle to get over. This game could have been so much fun but all I’m left with is the memories of the 8-bit version.

5/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.