GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[REVIEW]10 Reasons Why San Andreas Is The Worst GTA"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas'.
Mon 22/03/10 at 18:28
Regular
"How Ironic"
I recently had a debate on facebook as to which was the best Grand Theft Auto in the series thus far. I was extremely shocked to learn that the majority of people preferred San Andreas over the rest of the series.

In my opinion, San Andreas is the worst. So I thought I'd draw a list together of reasons why I can't stand Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

1."Your area is under attack!"
This has to be the number one reason why I was put off SA. Many of you will be aware that you could fight for areas and claim them for your gang (Grove Street- otherwise known to me as 'The Green Guys). You might wonder why am I picking on such a harmless little feature. Well you'll work out the answer when you're stuck in the middle of the hardest mission of the game, and a little box pops up.

2."You feel Hungry"
We all love realism in a game, but games can become too real. When you purchase a GTA game, you can expect the usual, which comes in the form of going on a pedestrian killing spree when your girlfriend leaves you. What I don't expect to do is to feed my character after he's blown a few heads off. It's like having a satanic tamagotchi or something, and it just doesn't work.

3.It was set in the ghetto
Don't get me wrong, I don't have a beef with the fact the game was set in 'The Ghetto'. But it's the only game in the whole series which has a completely different setting.

4.The Hydra was useless
The Hydra is undeniably the best vehicle that has been released in a GTA game thus far. But let me put the question to the Hydra fanboys. When was the Hydra actually needed in the game? The answer? It never was. You never use the Hydra at all in the game. At least the Hunter helicopter has a vigilante mode, and also featured in a mission in Vice City. The Hydra? It might be fast, but it's not useful. Think of it as having a solar powered torch in a dark cave.

5.Respraying Tags
You want me to go around with a spray paint can, and spray lots of walls, with the exact same tag, numerous times? Doesn't work for me.

6.Modding Garages
For some, this might be one of the best features. I didn't like it though. There are the classic cars in GTA, the Banshee, Comet and Bullet to name a few. Now why an earth would I want to pimp it up with hydraulics? Or put a bass boost on it? All you need is a guy who constantly says "We hooked you up with a fishtank, built into the gearstick", and there you have a it, a playable Pimp my Ride.

7."Sex Appeal"
Now come on. I'm not particularly bothered wether a trampy woman thinks I'm hot. If she complains, I'll blow her frickin' head off. Should have been left out.

8.The stupid noises CJ made when being shot at
Maybe I'm the only one who's noticed this, but CJ makes the worst noises when being shot at. If you don't know what I'm on about, fire up the PS2, and just listen.

9.Your gang always took the most difficult route possible
When you gathered up a gang for a big battle (regardless of the fact that you knew they would be useless anyway), you'd have to run them from your own territory to the enemy. Alot of people will know how difficult this task was. If you climbed up something, your gang, who seemed to have had their common sense gland removed, decided to run around the block to reach you. Sometimes, they wouldn't come back either. The alternative was to get a big coach, and then wait for them all to get off, whilst the other gang are firing at you.

10.Working out in the gym
The work out system in SA was ludicrous. You'd only go the gym twice, and suddenly you'd have fantastically huge arms. Alot of you may argue that I have no case here, as going to a virtual gym for months would be a pain in the behind. In my opinion, it just should have been left out completely.

These are just a few points that make San Andreas feel a punishment to play. I cannot see how it stands as the best game in the GTA series. It's just, to put it simply, not.
Wed 31/03/10 at 16:22
Regular
"How Ironic"
Definitely. I know we're talking PS2/Xbox, but the graphics of Vice City were fantastic for the time, I'd even go as far as saying that GTA 3 graphics were better than SA. GTA 4 graphics have obviously been the best so far, but I stick by Vice City. The story on that was immense. Lance! *grrrrrrrr*
Wed 31/03/10 at 13:01
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I agree that SA was the worst and Vice City was the best.

I think SA was just an experimental game - to try out a few features that people liked and didn't like (notice how only one or two features from that list actually made it over to GTAIV?)

It was a bit awkward to play and the graphics, in my opinion, were horrible compared to the previous games.
Tue 30/03/10 at 09:29
Regular
"Mooching around"
I agree. I found SA to be the worst.

Reasons?

Way too vast and empty, the maps were mostly dull, a couple of good cities and a big mountain. That was about it.

The highly uninteresting story line. It was awful, easily the worst, with Vice City (Scar face) being the best.

Getting fat and hungry, awful concepts.

With that said, for me it's saving grace was the hydra. I used to pretend I was in a flight combat game instead of GTA and then I enjoyed myself. Also rocket-packs.
Tue 23/03/10 at 14:40
Regular
"And in last place.."
I enjoyed San Andreas although it was not the pick of the bunch. I do however totally agree with your number 1. What's the point in having a gang if they can't protect the hood without you?
Mon 22/03/10 at 19:35
Regular
"How Ironic"
Hehe I had a feeling that this list might cause some differences in opinion. Don't get me wrong, the Hydra is pretty cool, as is the Jetpack, but it's like they've just been chucked in to jazz the game up abit. They don't actually serve a purpose though.
Mon 22/03/10 at 19:23
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
IMHO most of the features you dislike are the reasons I regard GTA: San Andreas as one of my favourite games of all time.

Admittedly the Hydra was useless, but totally cool all the same!

Any opinions on the Jet Pack?
Mon 22/03/10 at 18:28
Regular
"How Ironic"
I recently had a debate on facebook as to which was the best Grand Theft Auto in the series thus far. I was extremely shocked to learn that the majority of people preferred San Andreas over the rest of the series.

In my opinion, San Andreas is the worst. So I thought I'd draw a list together of reasons why I can't stand Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

1."Your area is under attack!"
This has to be the number one reason why I was put off SA. Many of you will be aware that you could fight for areas and claim them for your gang (Grove Street- otherwise known to me as 'The Green Guys). You might wonder why am I picking on such a harmless little feature. Well you'll work out the answer when you're stuck in the middle of the hardest mission of the game, and a little box pops up.

2."You feel Hungry"
We all love realism in a game, but games can become too real. When you purchase a GTA game, you can expect the usual, which comes in the form of going on a pedestrian killing spree when your girlfriend leaves you. What I don't expect to do is to feed my character after he's blown a few heads off. It's like having a satanic tamagotchi or something, and it just doesn't work.

3.It was set in the ghetto
Don't get me wrong, I don't have a beef with the fact the game was set in 'The Ghetto'. But it's the only game in the whole series which has a completely different setting.

4.The Hydra was useless
The Hydra is undeniably the best vehicle that has been released in a GTA game thus far. But let me put the question to the Hydra fanboys. When was the Hydra actually needed in the game? The answer? It never was. You never use the Hydra at all in the game. At least the Hunter helicopter has a vigilante mode, and also featured in a mission in Vice City. The Hydra? It might be fast, but it's not useful. Think of it as having a solar powered torch in a dark cave.

5.Respraying Tags
You want me to go around with a spray paint can, and spray lots of walls, with the exact same tag, numerous times? Doesn't work for me.

6.Modding Garages
For some, this might be one of the best features. I didn't like it though. There are the classic cars in GTA, the Banshee, Comet and Bullet to name a few. Now why an earth would I want to pimp it up with hydraulics? Or put a bass boost on it? All you need is a guy who constantly says "We hooked you up with a fishtank, built into the gearstick", and there you have a it, a playable Pimp my Ride.

7."Sex Appeal"
Now come on. I'm not particularly bothered wether a trampy woman thinks I'm hot. If she complains, I'll blow her frickin' head off. Should have been left out.

8.The stupid noises CJ made when being shot at
Maybe I'm the only one who's noticed this, but CJ makes the worst noises when being shot at. If you don't know what I'm on about, fire up the PS2, and just listen.

9.Your gang always took the most difficult route possible
When you gathered up a gang for a big battle (regardless of the fact that you knew they would be useless anyway), you'd have to run them from your own territory to the enemy. Alot of people will know how difficult this task was. If you climbed up something, your gang, who seemed to have had their common sense gland removed, decided to run around the block to reach you. Sometimes, they wouldn't come back either. The alternative was to get a big coach, and then wait for them all to get off, whilst the other gang are firing at you.

10.Working out in the gym
The work out system in SA was ludicrous. You'd only go the gym twice, and suddenly you'd have fantastically huge arms. Alot of you may argue that I have no case here, as going to a virtual gym for months would be a pain in the behind. In my opinion, it just should have been left out completely.

These are just a few points that make San Andreas feel a punishment to play. I cannot see how it stands as the best game in the GTA series. It's just, to put it simply, not.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.