GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Reading Festival is a sell out!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/09/01 at 11:16
Regular
Originally, Reading was THE rock festival to go to. I went to Reading 95 and saw classic bands like Soundgarden, Greenday, Foo fighters (on their first album), and loved every minute of it, seeing all these cool bands, living the rock life and having a great time.

As the years have gone on Reading has become less and less of a rock festival. It converted into Rock Sunday at Reading, but at least they kept the rock theme in mind with Pitchshifter, Metallics, RATM, and so on.

This year? Eminem. Not only that, but he brought D12 with him, a band that did not deserve to headline the sunday at Reading on the basis of 1 chart single. The only reason D12 are known is because Eminem is with them, and without him they would be the gutter trash they really are. But I'm diversing...

Eminem had a 3/4 hour set, in which he spent thefirst quarter hour with D12 (pants) played about 6 songs and stuck a 10 minute cartoon on the screens. Marylin Mansons set was much, much better, along with HED (PE), Papa roach, SOAD.

The reason he was there is because he is contraversial. The act is purely for record sales, and he headlined because he sold a lot of records. Quality bands have to sit under him because the organisers want to make money rather than keep Reading Festival as it started out to be. Fair enough, rock was still on sundays, but he shouldnt have headlined the rock day. He is not rock.

I am sickened that the organisers would rather con little kids with a puppet show to make money than put on a festival they wway it is meant to be. I listen to Eminem, but it was not his place on that stage.

Rock music is here to stay. It will outlive all those teeny pop-trash disposable bands in the charts and it will outlive the dance scene that seems to regenerate with a new style every month. It has a massive following globally, and bands will refuse to come and play in England if promoters turn their backs on them. It has happened before.

Slave - Sick of disposable trash-pop.
Fri 07/09/01 at 21:56
Regular
i thought ozzfest was the rock festival?
Fri 07/09/01 at 14:45
Regular
I can't stand D12, there a bunch of useless rappers. Notice there album has got eminem on preety much every track, obviously they realise it wouldn't sell if it didn't. Has anyone heard Bizarre out of D12, my god if hes isn't the worst rapper ever, his lyrics are terrible he just sets out to offend people and in the process they make no sense.
Fri 07/09/01 at 14:25
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
I was at Reading and all the bands you mentioned were rubbish. Eminem is not disposable pop, he's hip hop. He's only as famous as he is because he's not only talented but also white, therefore MTV friendly. He is more popular than anyone else there that day and deserved to headline. D12 are his mates. If I was famous I'd like to hang out with y mates. So what?

I've been going to Reading since 1992 and it was never just a rock festival. Sunday has traditionally been the rock ghetto, where the normal easy going alternative crowd are swamped by bottle throwing morons. That's nothing new. Reading's just as good as ever.
Fri 07/09/01 at 11:16
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Originally, Reading was THE rock festival to go to. I went to Reading 95 and saw classic bands like Soundgarden, Greenday, Foo fighters (on their first album), and loved every minute of it, seeing all these cool bands, living the rock life and having a great time.

As the years have gone on Reading has become less and less of a rock festival. It converted into Rock Sunday at Reading, but at least they kept the rock theme in mind with Pitchshifter, Metallics, RATM, and so on.

This year? Eminem. Not only that, but he brought D12 with him, a band that did not deserve to headline the sunday at Reading on the basis of 1 chart single. The only reason D12 are known is because Eminem is with them, and without him they would be the gutter trash they really are. But I'm diversing...

Eminem had a 3/4 hour set, in which he spent thefirst quarter hour with D12 (pants) played about 6 songs and stuck a 10 minute cartoon on the screens. Marylin Mansons set was much, much better, along with HED (PE), Papa roach, SOAD.

The reason he was there is because he is contraversial. The act is purely for record sales, and he headlined because he sold a lot of records. Quality bands have to sit under him because the organisers want to make money rather than keep Reading Festival as it started out to be. Fair enough, rock was still on sundays, but he shouldnt have headlined the rock day. He is not rock.

I am sickened that the organisers would rather con little kids with a puppet show to make money than put on a festival they wway it is meant to be. I listen to Eminem, but it was not his place on that stage.

Rock music is here to stay. It will outlive all those teeny pop-trash disposable bands in the charts and it will outlive the dance scene that seems to regenerate with a new style every month. It has a massive following globally, and bands will refuse to come and play in England if promoters turn their backs on them. It has happened before.

Slave - Sick of disposable trash-pop.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.